[comp.unix.questions] Uniflex OS, Force Computers?

mark@intek01.UUCP (Mark McWiggins) (04/01/89)

Any body have experience with these?  Force makes real-time VME-based
single-board machines running Uniflex, and we're considering them
for a project.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

In article <180@intek01.UUCP>, mark@intek01.UUCP (Mark McWiggins) writes:
> Any body have experience with these?  Force makes real-time VME-based
> single-board machines running Uniflex, and we're considering them
> for a project.

	I don't know anything about Force, but I do know something about
UniFLEX, which is sold by Technical Systems Consultants, Inc.

	UniFLEX is the most awful "lookalike" to UNIX that I have ever seen.
On page one of the UniFLEX manual it is claimed "The system's design has been
influenced primarily by two operating systems, FLEX (tm) and UNIX.  UniFLEX
retains the flexibility and ease of use of FLEX while incorporating some
of the widely accepted structures of UNIX."  Don't believe it; in fact, any
resemblence to UNIX is purely coincidental.

	Don't take my word for this; just ask to examine a UniFLEX manual
for yourself.

	Want to bring the system to single-user mode?  Forget about any
UNIX init(1) commands - there ain't any; just use "shutup-1".  I kid you
not!

	What to create a zero length file?  Well, forget about using
something like "> foo".  However, we do have the command "create-1".

	How about the "info-1" command, which will "display the contents of
the information field associated with the specified binary file"?  Hmmmm...
features of UNIX, you say?

	How about "jobs-1" instead of ps(1)?  It returns "No tasks active"
if nothing is running other than the login shell.

	Ain't no cat(1), but there is "list-1".

	How's this to logout?  No ^D, or logout.  Nope, we have "log-1".

	Forget about chmod(1) or chown(1), we have "perms-1" and "owner-1"
respectively.

	"Widely accepted structures of UNIX"?!  Pardon me while I barf.

<>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp. - Uniquex Corp. - Viatran Corp.
<>  UUCP:  {allegra|ames|boulder|decvax|rutgers|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry
<>  VOICE: 716/688-1231, 716/773-1700        {att|hplabs|utzoo}!/
<>  FAX:   716/741-9635, 716/773-2488      "Have you hugged your cat today?"

jac@penguin.UUCP (James Carter) (04/04/89)

In article <180@intek01.UUCP>, mark@intek01.UUCP (Mark McWiggins) writes:
> Any body have experience with these?  Force makes real-time VME-based
> single-board machines running Uniflex, and we're considering them

UniFLEX operating system was written (and copyrighted) by Technical Systems
Consultants, currently of Chapel Hill, N.C. They started with a single user
o/s called FLEX that was brought out back around 1976. It ran on Southwest
Technical Products (Motorola) 6800's. They incorporated a subset of UNIX into
it, and changed its name to UniFLEX(tm) in about 1978. It is currently in
revision 4.14 +/-, and is a pretty solid o/s. As far as I know, they were
running on several different makes of cpu, but were still pretty much tied
to the Motorola chipset. I think they are running on the 68030 now.

For a new user, their o/s is A LOT EASIER to learn. They don't have the
standard "cd, pwd, ls" however, they tend to lean toward their early FLEX
systems by using "chd, path, dir". I still support a couple of their systems
that were installed back in '78. {Sometimes I wish they would break more
often ;-)}.

Disclaimer: are you kidding? I own the place!
James A. (JC) Carter
Penguin Business Systems, Inc.

john@jwt.UUCP (John Temples) (04/06/89)

In article <3069@kitty.UUCP> larry@kitty.UUCP (Larry Lippman) writes:
>In article <180@intek01.UUCP>, mark@intek01.UUCP (Mark McWiggins) writes:
>> Any body have experience with these?  Force makes real-time VME-based
>> single-board machines running Uniflex, and we're considering them
>> for a project.
>	UniFLEX is the most awful "lookalike" to UNIX that I have ever seen.

I'll second Larry's opinion.  We evaluated UniFLEX on a Force VME board.
The hardware itself seemed fine, but UniFLEX's claims of being "UNIX-like"
were quite bogus.  A couple additional problems we found not mentioned in
Larry's posting were:

The size of the code space had to be a power of two bytes.  For larger
programs, you jumped from 256K to 512K to 1024K, and if you had 1MB of RAM,
you couldn't run a program that should have had a 600K executable.

malloc(3C) was incredibly slow.  A program we compiled which did a lot of
memory allocation would take _several seconds_ to do the mallocs.

Needles to say, UniFLEX went back to the vendor.
--
John Temples - UUCP: {uiucuxc,hoptoad,petsd}!peora!rtmvax!bilver!jwt!john