[net.cooks] quince pie please

peg@rochester.UUCP (11/12/85)

From: Peggy Meeker  <peg>

My quince is (are?) not going to last much longer, and quince pie would
taste so good.  Isn't there anybody out there who knows a recipe?  What if
I offered to send you a slice?

alan@mtxinu.UUCP (Alan Tobey) (11/14/85)

> My quince is (are?) not going to last much longer, and quince pie would
> taste so good.  Isn't there anybody out there who knows a recipe?  What if
> I offered to send you a slice?

Use a reliable apple pie recipe EXCEPT cook the peeled/sliced quinces
in a vegetable steamer for about 12-15 minutes to soften and bring out
flavor.  I also like to substitute allspice for cinnamon in the recipe,
and sometimes add a bit more sugar if the quinces don't have as much as
normal apples.