[net.cooks] raising snails

phil@amdcad.UUCP (Phil Ngai) (10/28/85)

There seem to be many snails around my house and this year, instead
of trying to poison them I am going to collect them and eat them.

Any advice on how to do this? I suppose I ought to feed them a known
diet for a while to get all the bad stuff out. What is recommended?
Can I just feed them lawn clippings? My lawn hasn't had any chemicals
applied in months so it is pretty clean. What about things like banana
peels, apple cores, carrots, tree leaves, etc? How long do I have to
put them on a cleansing diet?

And how do you cook them? Just fry them in garlic butter?

By the way, I have found the best way to collect the ones that are
really stuck is to twist them around and they come right off. Just
pulling on them can crack the shell or rip part of the foot off.
--
 The Miami Police Department's Vice Squad has an annual budget of $1.5M.
 Each episode of the TV show "Miami Vice" costs $1.6M.

 Phil Ngai +1 408 749-5720
 ARPA: amdcad!phil@decwrl.dec.com

wfi@rti-sel.UUCP (William Ingogly) (10/28/85)

In article <5410@amdcad.UUCP> phil@amdcad.UUCP (Phil Ngai) writes:

>There seem to be many snails around my house and this year, instead
>of trying to poison them I am going to collect them and eat them.
>Any advice on how to do this? I suppose I ought to feed them a known
>diet for a while to get all the bad stuff out. What is recommended?

Here's how my Sicilian relatives used to do it (my grandpa's name before
Ellis Island was Biagio Ingoglia; how much more authentic do you
want? :-):

Put them in a container with moist leaves for a few days. Sprinkle
occasionally with a little water to make sure they don't dry out.
Feed them cornmeal to clean out their systems. When the day of reckoning
comes, cull out the dead snails and put the live ones in a pot of
salted water for a couple of hours before you're going to cook them.
This will act as a laxative and clean out their systems. Rinse them
WELL after this and dump them into a fresh pot of boiling water. They
only cook for a few minutes; I can't remember the exact number of
minutes, but I'm sure Joy of Cooking or some other readily accesible
cookbook will have a recipe. You should be aware that snails can eat
toxic plants without ill effect, so a purging period is NECESSARY.
I would still feel uneasy eating wild snails due to pesticides, etc.
Snails aren't long distance travelers, though, so you're probably safe
eating them from your own back yard.

We served them with tiny forks, crusty Italian bread, and a delicious
sauce made of olive oil, vinegar, fresh mint and garlic. As a kid, I
thought the sauce was the best part. I don't have a recipe but it
shouldn't be too hard to duplicate.

Mamma mia!
                               -- Cheers, Bill Ingogly

bellas@ttidcb.UUCP (Pete Bellas) (10/28/85)

You should feed	them on	a diet of cornmeal for about three days
before they are	to be consumed (a friend of mine works at an
italian	restaurant and this is what they do).  I have seen them
fried, deep fried and steamed (very chewy, yukk!).  Good luck.

		-Pete-

prastein@uiucdcs.CS.UIUC.EDU (10/28/85)

I would be quite careful about eating snails found around the house.  Snails
are one of the most notorious parasite carriers around.

ems@amdahl.UUCP (ems) (10/29/85)

> There seem to be many snails around my house and this year, instead
> of trying to poison them I am going to collect them and eat them.
>
> Any advice on how to do this? I suppose I ought to feed them a known
> diet for a while to get all the bad stuff out. What is recommended?

Snails reflect the flavor of what they have been eating.  The best
'cleansing diet' is one that is bland.  Such as corn meal.  Also
be aware that snails can eat some plants that are poisonous to people.
Be especially careful with any snails that have grown up near
poisonous plants, as the toxin in them may do you in.  Cleans them
really well.  A week or two should be ok, but get an experts advice
first.

Also, I stepped on a snail a year or two ago and got one
horrible case of 'atheletes foot'.  It was a different fungus
than the usual and was *VERY* hard to get rid of.  Seems that
snails can harbor many different and *NASTY* fungi.  Be careful
with them little buggers.  (But eat a few for me, revenge is sweet!)

--

E. Michael Smith  ...!{hplabs,ihnp4,amd,nsc}!amdahl!ems

'If you can dream it, you can do it'  Walt Disney

This is the obligatory disclaimer of everything. (Including but
not limited to: typos, spelling, diction, logic, and nuclear war)

dxp@houxf.UUCP (POND SCUM) (10/29/85)

As the husband of someone who recently discovered the pleasures
of escargot(sounds so much more wholesome) I doubt the wisdom
of raising ones own snails for basically two reasons.
        1) Escargot as served in restaurants are one PARTICULAR
           species of snail. Why one one species is used, I don't
           know but will do a little research and get back to
           you.
        2) With not a great deal of effort you can find canned
           snails at about half the large supermarkets around
           here( Monmouth County, NJ) for about $ 2.50 - $ 3.50
           per dozen. They are usually found in the gourmet foods
           or deli sections of the supermarkets.

As a variation of the normal way of serving escargot (in garlic butter)
I love this one.

             2 oz butter (preferably unsalted)
             1 teaspoon of Pernod ( other anis liqueurs may suffice)
             1 shallot diced

This will make enough butter sauce to cook half a dozen escargots.
If you don't have a ceramic escargot thingy use a poaching pan
to cook them or sautee them in a small frying pan.

A can of escargots in our house lasts about 10 minutes after we return
from grocery shopping, so we generally buy 2 or 3 cans so that we can
have some around for a snack during the week.

    Dave Peak
    @  ihnp4!hotel!dxp

"All the net's a stage and all the men and women merely ham actors !"
- Rev Peak (apologies to Bill S.)

jcp@osiris.UUCP (Jody Patilla) (10/29/85)

> You should feed them on a diet of cornmeal for about three days
> before they are to be consumed (a friend of mine works at an
> italian restaurant and this is what they do).  I have seen them
> fried, deep fried and steamed (very chewy, yukk!).  Good luck.

	Pierre Franey tells a funny story of his boyhood in France, where
they collect snails in the fall, feed them mostly lettuce through the
winter and eat them in the early spring. He and his father had gathered
a couple of buckets full and left them sitting overnight without being
tightly sealed. In the morning they were all awakened by Mme. Franey screaming
at the top of her lungs. Seems the snails had gotten out and were crawling
across the ceiling in her bedroom.
--
jcpatilla

dxp@houxf.UUCP (POND SCUM) (10/29/85)

THE GOOD SNAILS -

   Generally eaten snails come from the helix aspersa and helix pomatia species,
this due primarily to the fact that throughout history(read tradition) these
species have proved to have been a) easy to raise b) non toxic to humans
c) are large enough to be economically gathered.

The above species are traditionally a european based LAND snail, although
they are now widespread across north america. Salt water
snails include abelone,conch,winkles etc are a large cash crop.

There are other edible land snails especially from Africa & Asia but do not
appear to be a cash crop outside their cultivating region.

THE BAD SNAILS -

       Generally these are water snails and most that "we" come into contact
with are the freshwater snails, somewhat of a misnomer as they tend to inhabit
slow to non-moving water locations. What Michael Smith described  seems to be
similar to swimmers itch caused by parasites trying to invade the human body
and the itch/rash is the result of the interaction of the human body repulsing
the invasion. There are other "bad" snails, hopefully we'll never cross their
path.

  On a closing note the largest snail known is an australian marine snail that
measures 2 feet across it's shell. Hope that baby is edible, yum,yum !

    Dave Peak
    @  ihnp4!hotel!dxp

"All the net's a stage and all the men and women merely ham actors !"
- Rev Peak (apologies to Bill S.)

wmartin@brl-tgr.ARPA (Will Martin ) (10/30/85)

One thing that I have not seen in the responses to the initial
snail-eating posting: Are domestic American garden-varieties of snails
safe to eat at all? Do they taste the same as the fancy French
varieties, which are, I believe, raised commercially as opposed to being
harvested from the wild? I would suspect that eating wild snails is
somewhat akin to eating wild mushrooms -- you can do it, and you may get
by OK, but you really shouldn't do it unless you know EXACTLY what you
are doing. Maybe the risks involved with mushrooms are far greater than
with snails -- hopefully, with the latter the only ill effect of eating
the wrong ones will be a poor-tasting dish and the waste of the other
ingredients. But I keep thinking of schistosomiasis (I spelled that
correctly BEFORE looking it up! Where's my prize? :-), and suchlike
snail-borne parasitic infections, and would hesitate to ingest an
"untested" snail.

(I have eaten snails, so this is not just unreasoning anti-snail fear.
I've had some that taste like mud, and others tht tasted great. Best
were in a little restaurant in Menlo Park, CA, called Le Pot-Au-Feu --
anybody know if it still exists?)

Will

kanner@tymix.UUCP (Herb Kanner) (11/01/85)

The discussion of snail species and questions as to the edibility of
the common (California) garden snail makes me wonder where all of you were
during the years I was exposed to the following legend:

	The legend has it that some frenchman, around the turn of the century,
	or perhaps earlier, imported a couple dozen live snails of the edible
	variety from France in order to breed them for food.  Unfortunately,
	a few escaped.  Being a foreign variety, they had no natural enemies
	here and took over the west coast and are now the common California
	garden snail.

Please don't flame me if this is total BS.  I can't even remember the
source of the legend any more.
--
Herb Kanner
Tymnet, Inc.

asente@Cascade.ARPA (11/01/85)

In article <2604@brl-tgr.ARPA> wmartin@brl-tgr.ARPA (Will Martin ) writes:
>One thing that I have not seen in the responses to the initial
>snail-eating posting: Are domestic American garden-varieties of snails
>safe to eat at all? Do they taste the same as the fancy French
>varieties, which are, I believe, raised commercially as opposed to being
>harvested from the wild?

I have read several times (in newspaper articles and the like) that the
common snails we have in the SF Bay Area are *identical* to French
snails.  Unfortunately I don't have any hard references on this.  All
seemed to stress the importance of feeding them yourself for a while
to clean out their systems.  (on lettuce, not cornmeal as someone
suggested--cornmeal is for clams)

>(I have eaten snails, so this is not just unreasoning anti-snail fear.
>I've had some that taste like mud, and others tht tasted great. Best
>were in a little restaurant in Menlo Park, CA, called Le Pot-Au-Feu --
>anybody know if it still exists?)

Sure does.

	-paul asente
	    asente@SU-Cascade.ARPA	decwrl!Glacier!Cascade!asente

Anyone for banana slug recipes?  No, I thought not...

geoffs@brl-sem.ARPA (Geoffrey Sauerborn ) (11/04/85)

>	... from France in order to breed them for food.  Unfortunately,
>	a few escaped.  Being a foreign variety, they had no natural enemies
>	here and took over the west coast and are now the common California
>	garden snail.

I saw a documentary once that showed how California fruit growers
battled snails by releasing a species of snail about their fruit trees
which preys on other snails.

pete@octopus.UUCP (Pete Holzmann) (11/06/85)

According to an article in Sunset Magazine, (May 1979 Central Edition, April
1979 Desert/Southern Edition), snails *were* imported from France to
California, they did get out of control, and the 'common garden snail'
in most of California *is* the escargot snail.

Reference is made to a 74 page paperback book, published in 1978 by a
firm in Santa Rosa (see below) :  Escargots from your garden to your
table, by Francois Picart.  You can order it from the publisher, or it
may be in  local bookstores.

As of the article date, "F. Picart Snails", 1550 Ridley Ave., Santa Rosa,
Calif.  94501 was buying garden snails for $.25 per pound (about 50-80
mature snails).  They then sell them as escargot (for a lot more money!).

--
  OOO   __| ___      Peter Holzmann, Octopus Enterprises
 OOOOOOO___/ _______ USPS: 19611 La Mar Court, Cupertino, CA 95014

phil@amdcad.UUCP (Phil Ngai) (11/13/85)

	I got a lot of responses to my inquiry about eating
Californian backyard snails, with quite a few requests for a summary.
Some of the information looks pretty good so I'd like to share it with
you.  Although I haven't explicitly asked for permission to repost, I
have stripped off headers and I don't think anyone will mind. Spelling
and grammer have been corrected to the best of my ability. Thanks to
everyone who wrote.

	Commercial snail growers raise them on cornmeal for a time
(two weeks, I think) before slaughtering them.  That gets rid of the
gamey taste.  You don't fry them, you sautee them.
	Someone actually gave a talk here on how to raise snails for
eating.  I forget the exact details but there are some things that I
do remember.

1. She said that you should feed them lettuce for some period of time
whose length I can't remember.  This helps flush out any nasties that
they may have eaten.

2. You should make them fast for about a week.  This is so that their
digestive system gets cleaned out (so that when you eat them you
aren't eating their fecal matter).

3. She said that you should blanch or parboil them (before using them
in your recipe) and then you can use a tiny fork to pop them out of
their shells.
	Feed 'em corn meal.  That's what they feed the slugs that get
eaten at the annual slug festival somewhere in Northern CA.  I think
you should probably feed 'em corn meal for about a week before
slaughtering the poor innocents.
	<Raising> snails (as opposed to collecting them) is actually
fairly tricky.  They get all kinds of diseases in captivity and
building an enclosure that they will thrive in while not being able to
escape is not easy.  I believe lettuce is the classic food.  I suspect
that grass is not as good.  Apparently, what you feed them makes a big
difference in the taste....
	What the French do is take snails and place them in a box with
flour on the bottom for a few days.  I wouldn't recommend doing it
with wild snails, though; they may carry parasites.  Call UC Ag
extension for RELIABLE advice...
	I looked briefly for an article I had on the subject from
Mother Earth News or somesuch about 3 years ago-no luck but if it
shows up I'll send more details.  From memory--they fed the snails
cornmeal for a few days, although they also mentioned that in France
they sometimes feed them exotic leaves such as tarragon (presumably
you spice your escargot thoroughly in this manner).
	Having lived in a neighborhood where snails were abundant and
money was not, our neighbors (no I did not try this but I watched
them!)  used to put the snails in cornmeal filled aquariams.
Apparently, snails like cornmeal and it gets rid of the bad stuff.
	Hi.  I just read your request for information concerning the
preparation of snails in net.cooks.  The food section of the San Jose
Mercury News, dated 21 August 1985, is practically devoted to this
topic (well, two or three articles).

Basically, what you want to do is to keep the snails in a fine mesh
cage and feed them cornmeal and chopped lettuce or other greens until
they are about 1 to 1-1/2 inches in didameter.

When you're ready to eat them, the snails must be purged.  To do this
place about 1/2 inch of damp cornmeal in the bottom of a container
(plastic box, metal pan, etc.).  Then place the snails in the
container and cover it with a ventilated top (cheesecloth or nylon
netting).  Keep the container in a cool, shady area and let the snails
purge themselves by eating the cornmeal for at least 72 hours.

If you want to keep them in their container longer, replace the
cornmeal every other day.  Use only active snails, discard inactive
ones.  Wash the snails throughly to remove the cornmeal.

The following recipe gets the snails to the point you find when you
buy canned snails.  These, of course, are fresher and not rubbery.

BASIC SNAIL PREPARATION

8 dozen live purged snails
2 carrots, sliced
1 onion, stuck with 4 whole cloves
2 cloves garlic, unpeeled
1/2 bottle dry white wine
1 bunch fresh thyme
1 bunch fresh parsley
4 stalks celery with leaves
1 tablespoon coarse salt
20 grinds of a pepper grinder

Wash live snails and place in a pot.  Cover with cold water and  bring
to a boil.  Remove snails and rinse in cold water.  Using a tweezer,
remove snails from shells.  Wash snails again in cold water and drain.

Place in heavy, non-aluminum pot and add the rest of the ingredients.
Add enough water to cover ingredients, and a quarter more.  Bring
slowly to a simmer, skim the scum that rises to the surface.  Cook
partially covered for 2-1/2 to 4 hours depending on the size of the
snails (a 4 hour snail will have a shell the size of a 50 cent piece).
Snails will be tender when done.

Cool snails in the cooking liquid and use in any snail recipe.
	The Joy of Cooking says:

"Only snail types that are sealed in their opercula before hibernating
are edible. If your snails are less privileged than the Roman ones, be
sure to let them fast for about 10 days to get rid of any possible
poisons they may have imbibed..."

X says that she's heard that feeding the little buggers corn meal
for that period of time will flush it out [and probably make 'em taste
a little better]. She also says "I've eaten snails and they have the
consistency of snot." I have also eaten them and I like garlic butter
so I don't care. It's more rubbery than snot (I am the veteran of many
a stupid little cold or allergy when I was an urchin). In any case,
you can probably boil the little buggers for a few minutes.

"Before cooking, scrub and remove the membrane which closes them.
Place in water to cover and add 1/2 cup salt or 1/4 cup vinegar for
every 50 snails. Change the water several times during this 3 to 4
hour soaking. then rinse in several waters until the slime is removed.
Blanch a\` blanc, page 493, 8 minutes. [can't quite find it, but this
looks like it: 1qt boiling water, 2tbs lemon juice, (2tbs water, 1tbs
flour &opt 3tbs chopped suet) (&opt an onion stuck with cloves,
celery, carrot or leek. multiply as necessary, of course.] After
draining from the cold water, place the snails in a court bouillon to
over, made with: 1/2 water or stock and 1/2 white wine seasoned with:
a boquet garni [3 or 4 sprigs parsley or chervil, 1/8 to 1/2 bay leaf,
2 sprigs fresh thyme &opt 1 leek, white portion only, &opt 2 cloves.
Place them inside several celery stalks and bind tightly with a white
string.], an onion stuck with cloves, two cloves garlic. Simmer gently
for 3 to 4 hours, depending on the size of the snails. After cooling
in the court bouillon, drain. Remove snails from shells. Cut off and
discard the black end.  Dry the snails and shells in a cloth. Place a
dab of Snail Butter in each shell. [3/4cup butter, 1-2tbs minced
shallots, 1-2 well crunched garlic cloves &opt 1tbs minced celery, 1
tbs minced parsley, 1/2tsp salt, freshly ground pepper] Replace the
snails. Pack them firmly in the shell, so generously covered that only
the lovely green herbed butter is visible at the opening. You may
chill the snails for later use or bake them at once on a pan lightly
sprinkled with water in a 425F oven just long enough to get them
piping hot - a matter of a few minutes only. Have ready heated,
grooved, snail dishes. The shell holder has a spring in the handle
which allows you to regulate its viselike end to the size of the
snail. The long, closely tined fork is used with a slight twist to
remove the snail.
--
 The California Lottery may be a tax on the stupid, but at least
 some of the proceeds are used for education.

rfc@calmasd.UUCP (Robert Clayton) (11/15/85)

> 	The legend has it that some frenchman, around the turn of the century,
> 	or perhaps earlier, imported a couple dozen live snails of the edible
> 	variety from France in order to breed them for food.  Unfortunately,
> 	a few escaped.  Being a foreign variety, they had no natural enemies
> 	here and took over the west coast and are now the common California
> 	garden snail.
>
> Please don't flame me if this is total BS.  I can't even remember the
> source of the legend any more.
> --
> Herb Kanner
> Tymnet, Inc.

I read the same story in the PSA in-flight magazine within the last year
or so.

Bob Clayton
GE Calma
San Diego

rfc@calmasd.UUCP (Robert Clayton) (11/15/85)

> I saw a documentary once that showed how California fruit growers
> battled snails by releasing a species of snail about their fruit trees
> which preys on other snails.

Yes they sell them in the nurseries out here.  Killer snails, they call
them.  I guess my neighbor must have bought some, because I have
started to find them in my garden.  They seem to be effective.  Before
they arrived, no amount of snail bait seemed to stop the population
explosion.

It seems that snails are hermaphrodites.  Any snail can bear the young.
When two snails meet, they flip a coin so to speak and one plays the
male role while the other plays the female role.  In another encounter,
they might reverse the role.  This means if you have two snails in your
garden you are certain to have many and soon zillions.

Snail bait works for a while, but you soon breed a population with a
high tolerance for the poison.  I don't know if they are really immune,
maybe they just get bored with the stuff.  Anyway, it doesn't seem to
work for long.

Population reduction is the only effective method.  If you see a snail,
throw it in the trash.  This is where the killer snails come in handy.
They just keep feeding on the herd and prevent the population explosion.
So far, they seem to working pretty good.

Bob Clayton
GE Calma
San Diego