[comp.unix.questions] TMPDIR--Thanks

tkevans@fallst.UUCP (Tim Evans) (04/25/89)

Thanks to William Kucharski, Stephen Friedl, and Doug Gwyn for pointing me
at the man page for tmpnam(3S).  This says the environment variable TMPDIR,
if set, will override anything otherwise specified--at least during
compilation.  My further question is:  can you specify an environment-
wide "TMPDIR" variable which would control location of _other_ temporary
files such as those created by ex/vi?  (Aside from the EXINIT 'directory'
option, that is?)

--
UUCP:  ...!{rutgers|ames|uunet}!mimsy!aplcen!wb3ffv!fallst!tkevans
INTERNET:  tkevans%fallst@wb3ffv.ampr.org

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (04/26/89)

In article <542@fallst.UUCP> tkevans@fallst.UUCP (Tim Evans) writes:
>... the man page for tmpnam(3S) ... says the environment variable TMPDIR,
>if set, will override anything otherwise specified--at least during
>compilation.

No, no, no -- it is a RUN-TIME feature, not a compilation feature!
Setting the environment variable TMPDIR will cause the specified
directory to be used by any program that uses the library routine
or otherwise cooperates with this convention.  (Not all programs do;
some have the temp-file directory name hardwired into them.)