[comp.unix.questions] SunOS 4.0 graded uucp service

kim@mcrware.UUCP (Kim Kempf) (04/28/89)

We are running SunOS 4.0 and the documentation indicates that 'uucp' and
'uux' support a '-g' option to control the grade of service.  I want to
use this feature separate news from email/uucp delivery.  From what I
could tell, this puts a letter on the work file (news uses 'd' and mail
(default) uses 'A'), which grade simply controls the ordering of the
work files.  I could find nothing in 'uucico' to control the grade to be
delivered.  Casual inquires from others indicate that it should be possible
to call your newsfeed and pickup only the email and leave the news until
later.  Am I missing something here?

----------------
Kim Kempf, Microware Systems Corporation	{sun,uunet}!mcrware!kim

--
----------------
Kim Kempf, Microware Systems Corporation	{sun,uunet}!mcrware!kim

zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us (Jon Zeeff) (04/28/89)

In article <1127@mcrware.UUCP> kim@mcrware.UUCP (Kim Kempf) writes:
>We are running SunOS 4.0 and the documentation indicates that 'uucp' and
>'uux' support a '-g' option to control the grade of service.  I want to

HDB uucp uses Time/Grade in the Systems files to specify the max grade.

I believe that there is some incompatability between the way HDB and 4.xbsd
uucp specify grades.

--
  Jon Zeeff			zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us
  Ann Arbor, MI			sharkey!b-tech!zeeff

csg@pyramid.pyramid.com (Carl S. Gutekunst) (04/29/89)

In article <1127@mcrware.UUCP> kim@mcrware.UUCP (Kim Kempf) writes:
>We are running SunOS 4.0 and the documentation indicates that 'uucp' and
>'uux' support a '-g' option to control the grade of service.  I want to
>use this feature separate news from email/uucp delivery.

I believe these options to uux and uucp (to uux, anyway) go all the way back
to Version 7 UNIX. But only HDB and 4.3BSD uucico do anything with them. That
rules out your Sun; i.e., you cannot do what you want to do.

4.3BSD UUCP supports quite sophisticated handling of grades, as does recent
versions of HoneyDanBer. 4.3BSD-tahoe provides even more support, allowing
all uux jobs to be sorted by size. We've done wonders for our phone bills
that wait, deferring large mail until night rates are in effect.

<csg>

rick@uunet.UU.NET (Rick Adams) (04/30/89)

> HDB uucp uses Time/Grade in the Systems files to specify the max grade.
>
> I believe that there is some incompatability between the way HDB and 4.xbsd
> uucp specify grades.

Peter Honeyman's version of uucp is EXACTLY compatible with the 4.3BSD
uucp when it comes to handling grades.

You should avoid saying "HDB uucp". It has become as meaningless as saying
"Berkeley UNIX". I.e. there are many different versions of "HDB". E.g
some HDB versions dont support grading, some do.

The SunOS 4.1 HDB uucp has all of the good features of the 4.3BSD uucp
rolled into it. Virtually no other version of "HDB" will have those features.

--rick

>We are running SunOS 4.0 and the documentation indicates that 'uucp' and
>'uux' support a '-g' option to control the grade of service.  I want to
>use this feature separate news from email/uucp delivery.  From what I
>could tell, this puts a letter on the work file (news uses 'd' and mail
>(default) uses 'A'), which grade simply controls the ordering of the
>work files.

That is true.  In older versions of UUCP, one of which is the 4.0 UUCP,
that's all the grade does.

>I could find nothing in 'uucico' to control the grade to be delivered.

That's a feature that was added in later UUCPs, namely the 4.3BSD UUCP
and versions of Honey DanBer with some of Peter Honeyman's updates (the
S5R3.[012] versions don't have those updates, and don't have that
feature).

Basically, there's grades, which are a feature of all UUCPs that I know
of (although the oldest ones don't, as I remember, allow you to specify
the grade on a "uux" operation, just on a "uucp" operation), and there's
the "max grade" feature, which lets you specify that jobs of grades
below some point will only be transferred at some times, which is only a
feature of newer UUCPs.  The features are separate, although the latter
one obviously depends on the former....

>Casual inquires from others indicate that it should be possible
>to call your newsfeed and pickup only the email and leave the news until
>later.  Am I missing something here?

Yup, you're missing a version with the feature in question; the "others"
probably have it on their systems.