[comp.unix.questions] uucp and parity checking

russ@wpg.UUCP (Russell Lawrence) (05/02/89)

We're having a tough time establishing regular uucp connections with one
of our net neighbors.  After login, we expect the remote system to
confirm their identity by sending a string like the following:

        imsg >\ 15 \ 12 \ 20 Shere=xyz\  0  enter...

Instead, we usually get something like this:

        imsg >\215 \ 12 \220 S\350 ere=xyz\  0 \ 12 \ 15,

in which many of the expected ascii characters have their eight
bits turned on.

The upshot is that our machine gets confused and hangs up after
reporting 'wrong system'.

Unlike most systems that we communicate with, 'xyz' does parity
checking on their ports.  Could this be the cause of our problem, and
if so, can anyone suggest a work around?  'xyz' does *NOT*
run HDB and I don't think they're too excited about changing the
port definitions in their gettydefs file in order to conform to
our expectations.

--
Russell Lawrence, WP Group, New Orleans (504) 443-5000
{uunet,killer}!wpg!russ

davidsen@steinmetz.ge.com (Wm. E. Davidsen Jr) (05/02/89)

This is a common problem. When I went to HDB I expected them to have a
way to set the parity used to call, but it doesn't seem to. Ultrix uucp
has a set of pseudo-values you can put in the L.sys script to set parity
(P_ZERO, P_EVEN, P_ODD) which solves the problem.

If there's a trick to do this, please someone mention it. I did
'strings' on HDB UUCICO and didn't find anything which looked like a
control.

--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@crd.GE.COM)

exodus@cheers.UUCP (Greg Onufer) (05/04/89)

In article <1108@wpg.UUCP>, russ@wpg.UUCP (Russell Lawrence) writes:
> Unlike most systems that we communicate with, 'xyz' does parity
> checking on their ports.  Could this be the cause of our problem, and
> if so, can anyone suggest a work around?  'xyz' does *NOT*
> run HDB and I don't think they're too excited about changing the
> port definitions in their gettydefs file in order to conform to
> our expectations.

This is mostly lore passed around by those who saw it once, a long
time ago....

The first thing to put in your expect-send sequence is:

	"" P_ZERO
	(expect nothing, set parity to none)

or replace P_ZERO with P_ODD, P_EVEN, or P_ONE, whichever works.
I had to use these with lll-winken after it was upgraded to a newer
machine.  Symptoms: immediately after logging in, the connection would
time out... thanks to an omniscient administrator at llnl, these undocumented
features of BSD uucp were made known to me.  They worked with my UUCP also.

Good luck...

Cheers,
Greg

--
Greg Onufer .. University of the Pacific .. Focus Semiconductor
.. greg@cheers.uucp .. cheers!greg@lll-winken.llnl.gov .. 209-957-3963