[comp.unix.questions] Unix BBS Software

flash@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU (Stephen Corbesero) (04/28/89)

I need to put up a bulletin board system on Unix.  Although I have an
older version of XBBS, I tried to get a newer version, but alphacm
seems to have disappeared.

My questions are
  1) Are there any better BBS programs for unix than XBBS?
     a) If so, what and where are they?
     b) If not, how can I relocate alphacm?

Thanks in advance.

--
Stephen Corbesero                              flash@lehi3b15.UUCP
VLSI Design Automation Lab                     flash@lehi3b15.CSEE.Lehigh.EDU

chari@nueces.UUCP (Chris Whatley) (04/28/89)

In article <561@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU>, flash@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU (Stephen Corbesero) writes:
>   1) Are there any better BBS programs for unix than XBBS?

Well, I haven't been able to get my hands on the sources for XBBS
yet but UnAxcess(sp?) and SBBS are two that are in the uunet archives.
Sbbs is written in shell scripts. They are both in the comp.sources.unix
directories.

Chris

palowoda@megatest.UUCP (Bob Palowoda) (04/28/89)

From article <561@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU>, by flash@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU (Stephen Corbesero):

> I need to put up a bulletin board system on Unix.  Although I have an
> older version of XBBS, I tried to get a newer version, but alphacm
> seems to have disappeared.
>
> My questions are
>   1) Are there any better BBS programs for unix than XBBS?
>      a) If so, what and where are they?
>      b) If not, how can I relocate alphacm?
>
> Thanks in advance.

   alphacm is not dead. The data line is 714-898-8634. I just called it
   an hour ago. The latest version is 7.3.0. You could also get it off
   'fiver' my bbs 415-796-3686 or Howard Leadmon's bbs has the latest
   301-335-1955. All three of these have TrailBlaziers.

   Out of all the UNIX bbs I have seen they all do the same thing.
   Upload/download programs, have a message section and have access
   to Usenet. Some have a command line parser but you get the same
   results. So what do you mean by better?

   To me better would be something like embedded SQL database built
   into the bbs or an Xwindow client/server type BBS to support
   graphics.

   ---Bob

--
 Bob Palowoda
 Work: {sun,decwrl,pyramid}!megatest!palowoda

sandy@conexch.UUCP (Sandford Zelkovitz) (04/29/89)

In article <561@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU>, flash@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU (Stephen Corbesero) writes:

> I need to put up a bulletin board system on Unix.  Although I have an
> older version of XBBS, I tried to get a newer version, but alphacm
> seems to have disappeared.
>
> --
Steve,

Alphacm has been up and running for years! A year and a half ago the
telephone numbers were changed but that is all! You can reach alphacm
at 714-898-8634, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. I should know since that
system is mine. BTW, XBBS is up to version 7.30 and is NOW ported to run
on Sun Microsystem Computers. Presently, I have it running on a SUN
3/110 and will soon be bring it up on a SUN 4/280. I will have the SUN
version available for downloading as soon as I can figure on what to
delete on the 386 system <SCO Xenix386> to make room for it!

What is more important is that alphacm is now using Telebit-Plus modems
so you can call in at 19.2K baud and grab it.

Sanford <sandy> Zelkovitz    XBBS      714-898-8634 data   714-894-7898 voice
......!uunet!zardoz!alphacm!sandy     ....!att!hermix!alphacm!sandy
......!attmail!bergy!alphacm!sandy    ....!trwrb!ucla-an!alphacm!sandy

tbetz@lilink.UUCP (Tom Betz) (05/02/89)

Quoth palowoda@megatest.UUCP (Bob Palowoda) in <4590@megatest.UUCP>:
|From article <561@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU>, by flash@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU (Stephen Corbesero):
|>
|> I need to put up a bulletin board system on Unix.  Although I have an
|> older version of XBBS, I tried to get a newer version, but alphacm
|> seems to have disappeared.
|>
|> My questions are
|>   1) Are there any better BBS programs for unix than XBBS?
|>      a) If so, what and where are they?
|>      b) If not, how can I relocate alphacm?
|>
|> Thanks in advance.

|   Out of all the UNIX bbs I have seen they all do the same thing.
|   Upload/download programs, have a message section and have access
|   to Usenet. Some have a command line parser but you get the same
|   results. So what do you mean by better?

By better >I< mean a coherent conversation-style message base
that permits one to follow a thread in the manner one would
follow a conversation, which permits archiving message structure
for as long as the sysop requires so it can later be followed in
a coherent manner, which provides a multiple-operator message
base search (including a fulltext by keyword - you gotta see it
to believe it!) and an on-line tutorial.

Call Magpie-HQ at 212-879-9031 to see what I mean.

I don't own Magpie, I just love to use it.

--
"Still I sing bonny boys, bonny mad boys,      |  Tom Betz, 114 Woodworth Ave.
 Bedlam boys are bonny, for they all go bare,  |    Yonkers, NY 10701-2509

palowoda@megatest.UUCP (Bob Palowoda) (05/04/89)

From article <619@lilink.UUCP>, by tbetz@lilink.UUCP (Tom Betz):
> Quoth palowoda@megatest.UUCP (Bob Palowoda) in <4590@megatest.UUCP>:
> |From article <561@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU>, by flash@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU (Stephen Corbesero):
> |>
> |> I need to put up a bulletin board system on Unix.  Although I have an
> |> older version of XBBS, I tried to get a newer version, but alphacm
> |> seems to have disappeared.
> |>
> |> My questions are
> |>   1) Are there any better BBS programs for unix than XBBS?
> |>      a) If so, what and where are they?
> |>      b) If not, how can I relocate alphacm?
> |>
> |> Thanks in advance.
>
> |   Out of all the UNIX bbs I have seen they all do the same thing.
> |   Upload/download programs, have a message section and have access
> |   to Usenet. Some have a command line parser but you get the same
> |   results. So what do you mean by better?
>
> By better >I< mean a coherent conversation-style message base
> that permits one to follow a thread in the manner one would
> follow a conversation, which permits archiving message structure
> for as long as the sysop requires so it can later be followed in
> a coherent manner, which provides a multiple-operator message
> base search (including a fulltext by keyword - you gotta see it
> to believe it!) and an on-line tutorial.
>
> Call Magpie-HQ at 212-879-9031 to see what I mean.
>
> I don't own Magpie, I just love to use it.

  While this is what I have observed to be the differnce in people
  useing a bbs and usenet.

  People writeing messages in BBS tend to write short simple messages.
  Something like a question/answer session. A keyword search really
  dosn't buy you much. A simple scan of the title should work.
  Even the bbs that offer threads isn't a big deal. I end up just
  scanning the titles for the correct *key word* in this case.

  If we are talking about UNIX BBS that allow access to a news
  reader, than that is where more coherent structure is needed.
  Usenet articles seem to be much longer and contain important
  information in the message body. Rumor has it the Cnews3.11
  has the keyword seraches archiveal and message gateways built
  into it. Even bbs message gateways.

  The big thing about being a "SYSOP" of a bbs is allowing you
  to customize the user interface to taylor it to reflect
  your personality. Just asking for more options isn't enough.
  That's why I brought up the database built into the bbs idea.
  Than you could write your own style of message system. I've
  seen Magpie and it does have a better message system than
  XBBS. Still not worth getting excited about. What's needed
  is a good graphics interface (X-windows?) for a bbs. Yah!

  ---Bob