[comp.unix.questions] Running MS/PC-DOS under Unix/Xenix

davek@lakesys.UUCP (Dave Kraft) (05/01/89)

Hi,
This may be a silly question, but, I've got a few MS/PC-DOS applications that
I would like to run under SCO Xenix.  Is this possible?  If so, how?

Thanks in advance.

Dave

--
davek@lakesys.lakesys.com -OR- uunet!marque!lakesys!davek
"The mystical divinity of unashamed felinity.  'Round the cathedral rang

ked@garnet.berkeley.edu (Earl H. Kinmonth) (05/01/89)

In article <587@lakesys.UUCP> davek@lakesys.UUCP (Dave Kraft) writes:
>Hi,
>This may be a silly question, but, I've got a few MS/PC-DOS applications that
>I would like to run under SCO Xenix.  Is this possible?  If so, how?

A more appropriate venue for the question would be comp.unix.xenix.

If you have 8086 or 80286 SCO Xenix, you can partition your hard disk
and run either Xenix or MSDOS, but not both at the same time. You can
access MSDOS files under Xenix (fast for reads, terribly slow for
writes), but not vice versa.

If you have 80386 SCO Xenix, for extra money you can get a bridge
program that allows MSDOS to run as a task under Xenix. If you read
comp.unix.xenix, you will see frequent postings on the problems of
making this work. It does appear to be getting better, but is still not
for the casual user.

Earl H. Kinmonth
History Department
University of California, Davis
916-752-1636 (voice, fax [2300-0800 PDT])
916-752-0776 secretary

ucbvax!ucdavis!ucdked!cck

mikej@lilink.UUCP (Michael R. Johnston) (05/02/89)

In article <587@lakesys.UUCP> davek@lakesys.UUCP (Dave Kraft) writes:
>Hi,
>This may be a silly question, but, I've got a few MS/PC-DOS applications that
>I would like to run under SCO Xenix.  Is this possible?  If so, how?

Well, that all depends upon the type of machine you are running. SCO offers
a product called "VP/ix" which allows you to run MS-DOS under Xenix. However,
these caveats apply:
	- Requires 80386

	- Better have at least 2 meg in that machine for starters.

	- Better be prepared to crash your machine frequently.

That last statment was not tongue in cheek. It is a fact. VP/ix has an
annoying tendency to crash to the computer. This is partially due to the
fact that it has lots of Hooks directly into the kernel to do what it does.
It also runs SUID root.

Don't get me wrong, it is a miracle that it does what it does as well as it
does it. I just wish it didn't crash so much. What I am trying to say is:
   "Don't depend on SCO VP/ix. It's not stable enough."

--
Michael R. Johnston
System Administrator    {decvax!mergvax!,cmcl2!hombre!} lilink!mikej

davidsen@sungod.steinmetz (William Davidsen) (05/04/89)

In article <620@lilink.UUCP> mikej@lilink.UUCP (Michael R. Johnston) writes:
| 	- Requires 80386
		true

| 	- Better have at least 2 meg in that machine for starters.
		very true

| 	- Better be prepared to crash your machine frequently.
		We must be doing something wrong. I run VP/ix on two
		machines, and several friends here run it, and of all
		the problems we have had crashing the system is not
		among them. I have had a lot of games and other really
		ill-behaved programs not run, and some stuff which wants
		to use the standard (or non) hardware fail, but the the
		system has stayed up. Solidly. In all cases.

		We run windows, pagemaker, manuscript, 1-2-3, etc and
		the usual assortment of utilities. We run almost all
		programs from console, so there may be bugs in the
		terminal access code.

| That last statment was not tongue in cheek. It is a fact. VP/ix has an
| annoying tendency to crash to the computer. This is partially due to the
| fact that it has lots of Hooks directly into the kernel to do what it does.
| It also runs SUID root.

	I strongly suggest that you try it. For even moderately
well-behaved programs it has been adequate, and in no case has it hurt
the system overall.

	VP/ix supports LIM memory, I am told that DOSmerge doesn't,
although I don't have access to the 386 version to see.
	bill davidsen		(davidsen@crdos1.crd.GE.COM)
  {uunet | philabs}!crdgw1!crdos1!davidsen