[comp.unix.questions] How to stop mail from cron

max@jma.UUCP (Max Heffler @ Landmark Graphics) (05/05/89)

I have a cron entry with output redirected to /dev/null.
I still get the output, which was echoed from a script,
sent to me as mail.  How do I shut it up?

Thanx in advance.
--
Max Heffler                     uucp: ..!uunet!jma!max
Landmark Graphics Corp.         phone: (713) 579-4751

tel@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (thomas.e.lowe) (05/05/89)

In article <147@jma.UUCP> max@jma.UUCP (Max Heffler @ Landmark Graphics) writes:
>I have a cron entry with output redirected to /dev/null.
>I still get the output, which was echoed from a script,
>sent to me as mail.  How do I shut it up?

Often times information is sent to stderr in addition to stdout.
Your cron entry should look something like:

0 3 * * * command > /dev/null 2>&1

The 2>&1 while redirect the stderr to /dev/null also.

If you already have this in your script, perhaps the command
itself mails the output from inside.
--
Tom Lowe    tel@hound.ATT.COM or  att!hound!tel     201-949-0428
AT&T Bell Laboratories, Room 2E-637A