[comp.unix.questions] VMS -> Ultrix transition

sbbur%CONNCOLL.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (05/02/89)

Connecticut College is currently running Ultrix on a MicroVAX II and VMS
on a VAX/8350.  Both machines were installed 2 years ago.  The Ultrix
machine is getting more use than the VMS machine.  We are planning to
consolidate to one machine, the VAX/8350--running Ultrix.

I'm looking for suggestions on making the transition from VMS to Ultrix
easier for our users.  They've already started to complain about the
prospect of having to learn a new operating system, especially a new
editor.

I seem to remember seeing a VMS-like shell for UNIX.  Does anyone have
any information about this?  Can anyone recommend a decent, EASY-TO-USE
text editor?  (I asked this question on the BITNET side of the list and
EMACS seemed to be the overwhelming favorite.)

Thanks for your help!

Scott Burdick
Connecticut College             BITNET:  sbbur@conncoll

todd@stiatl.UUCP (Todd Merriman) (05/04/89)

In article <19412@adm.BRL.MIL> sbbur%CONNCOLL.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu writes:
>I'm looking for suggestions on making the transition from VMS to Ultrix
>easier for our users.........

As a developer spending nearly equal time on both SysV and VMS,
I highly recommend *NOT* trying to emulate DCL on the Ultrix
system.  Please understand that I have no interest in comparing
DCL versus the Shell.  What I feel is important is to use the
command processor best suited to the o/s.  If you emulate DCL in
the Ultrix environment, your users will never learn to use the
Shell; and, the Shell is far better suited to exploit the strengths
of Unix.

If your users are used to EDT, VI is functionally equivalent.
More powerful editors are available from third-parties, but
will require a learning curve.  I learned EDT so that I could
edit on *any* VAX running VMS.  I learned VI so that I could edit
on any SysV.  Neither editor is even in the same ballpark as
BRIEF, which I use on my PC to do the majority of my program
editing.

   ...!gatech!stiatl!todd
   Todd Merriman * 404-377-TOFU * Atlanta, GA

hart@nova.laic.uucp (Howard C. Hart) (05/10/89)

In article <19412@adm.BRL.MIL> sbbur%CONNCOLL.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu writes:

>I seem to remember seeing a VMS-like shell for UNIX.  Does anyone have
>any information about this?  Can anyone recommend a decent, EASY-TO-USE

Try EUNICE from the Wollongong Group or VCL and PC/EDT from Boston
Business Computing (617)683-7920. We've got VCL on our Sun's for the
VMS types--eventually talked them out of using it without all that much
teeth-pulling. VCL is the perfect example of a transition shell, i.e. -
it's got just enough inconsistencies with DEC/VMS to annoy the VMSer's
into switching to UNIX, but not enough that they can say "I can't use
this machine".
Howard C. Hart                  UUCP:{sun!sunncal,pyramid}!leadsv!laic!nova!hart
Lockheed Missiles and Space Co.
Orgn 59-53, Bldg 593            Ph: (408) 743-2253 or -7353
Sunnyvale, CA 94086