[comp.unix.questions] QNX - real-time unix?

andrew@cc.brunel.ac.uk (Andrew Findlay) (05/16/89)

A colleague is looking for a real-time version of Un*x. He wants to control
machine tools with it, and would ideally like something that would run on
a PC. He has heard of something called "QNX" which might fit the bill, but
cannot trace the manufacturer. Can anyone provide some pointers?

Thanks

Andrew

|  From Andrew Findlay at Brunel University, Uxbridge, UB8 3PH, UK  |
|  Andrew.Findlay@brunel.ac.uk          phone: +44 895 74000 x2512  |

bdc@tigger.planet.bt.co.uk (Brian Cantwell) (05/17/89)

From article <717@Terra.cc.brunel.ac.uk>, by andrew@cc.brunel.ac.uk (Andrew Findlay):
> A colleague is looking for a real-time version of Un*x. He wants to control
> machine tools with it, and would ideally like something that would run on
> a PC. He has heard of something called "QNX" which might fit the bill, but
> cannot trace the manufacturer. Can anyone provide some pointers?

The company is:
Quantum Software Systems Ltd
175 Terrence Mathews Cres.
Kanata South Business Park
Kanata, ontario, Canada
K2M IW8 tele (613) 591-0931

UK suppliers are:
MicroSkil Ltd
Dudley Innovation Centre
Pensnett Estate
Kingswinford
DY6 8XZ tele: 0384-297225

I am not currently using QNX but have heard good reports about it.

B Cantwell-Wright Dept., RT5111,      |   Phone Ipswich (0473) 646774
British Telecom Research Labs,        | International + 44 473 646774
Martlesham Heath,                     | email bdc@planet.bt.co.uk
Ipswich, Suffolk, England, IP5 7RE    |

rshelby@ms.uky.edu (Richard Shelby) (05/17/89)

In article <717@Terra.cc.brunel.ac.uk>, andrew@cc.brunel.ac.uk (Andrew Findlay) writes:
> He has heard of something called "QNX" which might fit the bill, but
> cannot trace the manufacturer. Can anyone provide some pointers?

QNX is a product of Quantum Software Systems, Ltd.  Their address and
phone:	Kanata South Business Park
	175 Terrence Matthews Crescent
	Kanata, Ontario, Canada  K2M 1W8

	(613) 591-0931

--
Richard Shelby                       rshelby@ms.uky.edu
Department of Health Services        rshelby@ukma.BITNET

vik@lynx.uucp (Vikram Sohal) (05/23/89)

We have a real-time, UNIX-compatible operating system called LynxOS that is
compilant with POSIX 1003.1, Berkeley 4.3 and System 5.3. It is a complete
rewrite of UNIX and contains no AT&T code in it or the utilities provided with
it. Over 90% of LynxOS is machine-independent and is written in "C". In terms
of real-time response, LynxOS has a worst-case task response time of 350
microseconds on a 25MHz 386 PC AT. It also has various additional features
for real-time (contiguous files, dynamically loadable device drivers, etc).
In addition, we now have binary compatibility that allows us to run
off-the-shelf binaries for versions of SYSTEM V on 386 PC AT's directly on
the 386 version of our system without modification (we have tested this with
System V versions of Informix, WordPerfect, Q-Calc, etc). It comes with a
complete development environment (VI-compatible editor, over 112 utilities,
C compiler, etc) and complete documentation. There is also support for TCP/IP
under Ethernet.
Currently, LynxOS is available for our own 80386-based AT systems as well as
for other 386-based AT's (Dell, Nec, Compaq, etc). We also have versions for
the Motorola MVME147 as well as our own 68010 and 68030-based VME systems the
Lynx 10 and Lynx 30. Source code licenses are also available.

Any further questions can be directed to me: Vic Sohal, or to Paul Pinnapinto
at Lynx Real-Time Systems (408) 370-2233 or you can send messages via the NET
to vik@lynx.