[comp.unix.questions] sed/awk question

dhm@necis.UUCP (Dave Mitchell) (05/23/89)

Once again I am posting to get help with a simple sed/awk problem. I hope
that someone out there responds and emails an answer to me. Using sed or
awk, I want to print the lines of a file (from line 1) up to the first
occurrence of a dollar sign. Thanks for the help.

David Mitchell                          dhm@necis.nec.com
NEC Information Systems, Inc.
1300 Massachusetts Avenue
Boxborough, Mass. 01719                 508-635-6278

In article <1049@necis.UUCP>, dhm@necis.UUCP (Dave Mitchell) writes:
> Once again I am posting to get help with a simple sed/awk problem. I hope
> that someone out there responds and emails an answer to me. Using sed or
> awk, I want to print the lines of a file (from line 1) up to the first
> occurrence of a dollar sign. Thanks for the help.

                                  dave mitchell

arnold@mathcs.emory.edu (Arnold D. Robbins {EUCC}) (05/26/89)

In article <1049@necis.UUCP> dhm@necis.UUCP (Dave Mitchell) writes:
>Using sed or
>awk, I want to print the lines of a file (from line 1) up to the first
>occurrence of a dollar sign. Thanks for the help.

awk '/\$/  { exit }
	   { print }'

That's all there is to it.
--
Arnold Robbins -- Emory University Computing Center | Unix is a Registered
DOMAIN: arnold@unix.cc.emory.edu		    | Bell of AT&T Trademark