[comp.unix.questions] Determining amount of physical memory

rns@se-sd.sandiego.ncr.com (Rick Schubert) (05/25/89)

I'm trying to find out how much physical memory my system has.
Should the following give me an accurate figure?

	dd if=/dev/mem of=/dev/null bs=1024

This produces the output:
	dd read error: No such device or address
	1024+0 blocks in
	1024+0 blocks out

I interpret this to mean that I have 1MB (1024KB) of physical memory.
Is this correct?

-- Rick Schubert (rns@se-sd.sandiego.NCR.COM)

wescott@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM (Mike Wescott) (05/26/89)

In article <1940@se-sd.sandiego.ncr.com> rns@se-sd.sandiego.NCR.COM (Rick Schubert(AEP)) writes:
> I'm trying to find out how much physical memory my system has.
> Should the following give me an accurate figure?

> 	dd if=/dev/mem of=/dev/null bs=1024

It might,  but it depends on the implementation of the /dev/mem driver
and on the contiguity of physical memory.

Try
	dd if=/dev/mem of=/dev/null bs=1024 conv=noerror

It might show more memory.  Many NCR Towers have physical memory
configured in noncontiguous address ranges.

--
	-Mike Wescott
	 mike.wescott@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM