[comp.unix.questions] perl and other "non-standard" commands

dce@Solbourne.COM (David Elliott) (05/26/89)

In article <8557@chinet.chi.il.us> les@chinet.chi.il.us (Leslie Mikesell) writes:
>And I'm amazed that no one has suggested using perl instead, since

Sometimes it isn't appropriate to use commands that aren't standard in
commercial Unix systems.  I am working on a project right now that has
to run on SunOS 4.0 as distributed.  I can't assume that the customer
will have perl, GNU awk, or even nawk, even though any of these would
make my project significantly easier.  When Sun decides to make these
standard (soon for nawk, who knows for the others), then I'll be able
to use them.

I was on a project last year where I couldn't use sh functions (I've
used them since 1985, but they still aren't in the BSD sh) or awk
(some Xenix systems don't have awk, it seems), though I found it
interesting that the company I was working with felt that they could
assume that sendmail existed on all of the systems.

Certainly, if you're going to write software that works on a specific
set of systems that you can control the contents of, use perl, GNU
awk, and anything else you can get your hands on to do a better job.
Just remember that these things aren't universal.

--
David Elliott		dce@Solbourne.COM
			...!{boulder,nbires,sun}!stan!dce

chpf127@ut-emx.UUCP (John W. Eaton) (05/27/89)

In article dce@Solbourne.COM (David Elliott) writes:

> Sometimes it isn't appropriate to use commands that aren't standard in
> commercial Unix systems.

Agreed.

> I am working on a project right now that has to run on SunOS 4.0 as
> distributed.  I can't assume that the customer will have perl, GNU
> awk, or even nawk, even though any of these would make my project
> significantly easier.  When Sun decides to make these standard (soon
> for nawk, who knows for the others), then I'll be able to use them.

Well, I don't get it.  If GNU awk would make things easier, why not
distribute it with your product?  You don't have to wait for Sun to do
it for you.

> Certainly, if you're going to write software that works on a specific
> set of systems that you can control the contents of, use perl, GNU
> awk, and anything else you can get your hands on to do a better job.

Didn't you just say that your target was a specific system/OS?  GNU
awk is not universal, but it is *free*.  Just distribute it.

--
John Eaton
chpf127@emx.utexas.edu

dce@Solbourne.COM (David Elliott) (05/27/89)

In article <13432@ut-emx.UUCP> chpf127@ut-emx.UUCP (John W. Eaton) writes:
>In article dce@Solbourne.COM (David Elliott) writes:
>> I am working on a project right now that has to run on SunOS 4.0 as
>> distributed.  I can't assume that the customer will have perl, GNU
>> awk, or even nawk, even though any of these would make my project
>> significantly easier.  When Sun decides to make these standard (soon
>> for nawk, who knows for the others), then I'll be able to use them.
>
>Well, I don't get it.  If GNU awk would make things easier, why not
>distribute it with your product?  You don't have to wait for Sun to do
>it for you.

I said SunOS 4.0, not SunOS 4.0 on a Sun 4/110 or SunOS 4.0 on a Sun
3/50.  To distribute any binary with my product would require me to
ship two copies, three if I need to handle a Sun 386 someday.

Since we make a Sun4-compatible system, shipping a Sun 4 version
would be fairly easily (of course, I would have to stick my copy
of GNU awk down in /usr/lib/<myprojectdirectory>), but that doesn't
work for the other systems.

>> Certainly, if you're going to write software that works on a specific
>> set of systems that you can control the contents of, use perl, GNU
>> awk, and anything else you can get your hands on to do a better job.
>
>Didn't you just say that your target was a specific system/OS?  GNU
>awk is not universal, but it is *free*.  Just distribute it.

No, I said it was for a specific OS.  What I meant was that if I have
control over all of the machines (specific machines, not class of
machines), I can be sure to have everything I need.

Finally, "just distribute it" is not always a reasonable answer.  For
the Department of Chemical Engineering, it may be a simple choice.
For Solbourne Computer, Inc., it's not that simple.  Distributing
more software, especially in an age where there are still computer
systems that have disks not quite big enough to handle a full Unix
and still have adequate user space, takes some thought and action.

Just because something is free doesn't mean it's easy to add to a
product.