[comp.unix.questions] Request recommendation on debugging 'tutorials', dbx, adb etc.

ron@nbife.NBI.COM (Ron Schweikert) (05/24/89)

I've been reading some of the postings on what to do with core files etc. and
I have a request.  When a program dumps core, I usually do simple printf
and dbx commands to find out where something failed.  This works fairly well
since they are usually my programs.  Being familiar with what I'm trying to
accomplish obviously aids the debugging process -- I know what to look for.

My problem, as I now start to delve into changing, updating, fixing programs
written by others, a more robust knowledge of using the debugging tools
available would be a great aid.  Unfortunately, our manuals have such simple
examples that I haven't been able to move past basic dbx commands that help
me narrow the problem down.  Now after much rambling :-) -- are there any
books (Nutshell etc.) that people have used that deal perhaps more with the
'philosophy' or 'trade secrets' of debugging someone else's programs (or my
own for that matter).  Currently what I do with a core file is rm it!

Insights from programmer's that have lots of experience in a larger programming
environment that could point me in the right direction would be appreciated.

If you email your tips, suggestions etc., I'll be glad to summarize and post.

Surely I'm not the only person who uses printf's and lots of coffee to fix
broken programs!! :-) :-)

Thanks in advance...

Ron Schweikert

tim@ora.UUCP (Tim O'Reilly) (05/27/89)

In article <1037@nbife.NBI.COM>, ron@nbife.NBI.COM (Ron Schweikert) writes:
> Now after much rambling :-) -- are there any
> books (Nutshell etc.) that people have used that deal perhaps more with the
> 'philosophy' or 'trade secrets' of debugging someone else's programs (or my
> own for that matter).  Currently what I do with a core file is rm it!

If anyone is willing to write such a book (either alone, or in
collaboration with others), please let me know.  I'd love to publish
one as part of the Nutshell Handbook series.  I appreciate
the reputation implied by the thought that if anyone would have
such a book, we would, and I wish I could say we did.

--
Tim O'Reilly (617) 354-5800 or (800) 338-NUTS
O'Reilly & Associates, Inc., Publishers of Nutshell Handbooks

romwa@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Royal Ontario Museum) (05/30/89)

In article <1556@ora.UUCP> tim@ora.UUCP (Tim O'Reilly) writes:
>In article <1037@nbife.NBI.COM>, ron@nbife.NBI.COM (Ron Schweikert) writes:
>> Now after much rambling :-) -- are there any
>> books (Nutshell etc.) that people have used that deal perhaps more with the
>> 'philosophy' or 'trade secrets' of debugging someone else's programs (or my
>> own for that matter).  Currently what I do with a core file is rm it!
>>
>If anyone is willing to write such a book (either alone, or in
>collaboration with others), please let me know.  I'd love to publish
>one as part of the Nutshell Handbook series.  I appreciate
>the reputation implied by the thought that if anyone would have
>such a book, we would, and I wish I could say we did.

There is a book called "Debugging C" already on the stands.
It was well received in a couple of reviews.  Unfortunately,
it is at home and I cannot remember the author's name.

This may be helpful.

Mark T. Dornfeld
Royal Ontario Museum
100 Queens Park
Toronto, Ontario, CANADA
M5S 2C6

mark@utgpu!rom      - or -     romwa@utgpu

max@jma.UUCP (Max Heffler @ Landmark Graphics) (05/31/89)

In article <1989May29.170156.19637@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca>, romwa@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Royal Ontario Museum) writes:
> There is a book called "Debugging C" already on the stands.
> It was well received in a couple of reviews.  Unfortunately,
> it is at home and I cannot remember the author's name.

Debugging C by Robert Ward
Que Corporation
Indianapolis, Indiana
ISBN 0-88022-261-1

This book is very good; however, it does not address several debuggers
mentioned in the original article (dbx, etc...)
--
Max Heffler                     uucp: ..!uunet!jma!max
Landmark Graphics Corp.         phone: (713) 579-4751