[comp.unix.questions] User accounts

lwilson@umabco.UUCP (Lowell G. Wilson) (05/30/89)

A friend of mine called and asked me if there was any reason why an
adminsitrator should stay away from special characters when creating
user accounts.  Specifically, he wants to create some account names
which begin with a special character so that these particular accounts
will show up first when the names are run through a sort.  The accounts
are only being used to forward mail.  He has run some limited tests to
see if there are any problems and so far he's encountered none.  Any
thoughts?  Pitfalls he should be aware of?

If you'd rather not post your response, I will be glad to forward e-mail
to my friend.  Or you can mail to him directly at
"...cvl!umlaw2!ggrabow".  Thanks for any help you can offer...
--
Lowell Wilson : Sinecure III        University of Maryland at Baltimore
                                    Information Resources Mgt Division

dhesi@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Rahul Dhesi) (05/31/89)

In article <317@umabco.UUCP> lwilson@umabco.UUCP (Lowell G. Wilson) writes:
>...any reason why an
>adminsitrator should stay away from special characters when creating
>user accounts.

1.  If network mail is sent to or from such an account, then most
special characters will confuse mail software.  Rumor has it that some
mail software doesn't like dots in usernames either, even though these
are supposed to be legal.

2.  RCS doesn't like leading digits in usernames.  You may come across
other programs that make overly restrictive assumptions about
usernames.

3.   If you are using the ~user syntax to make csh find somebody's home
directory, a special character in the username will cause incorrect
parsing.  (I didn't try this with ksh, but the same problem will likely
occur.)
--
Rahul Dhesi <dhesi@bsu-cs.bsu.edu>
UUCP:    ...!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!dhesi