[comp.unix.questions] Is there an alternate method of remote printing?

root@nova.laic.uucp (The Root of all evil) (05/25/89)

I am trying to set up a print queue from machine A that prints on
machine B.  I do not want to put machine A into hosts.equiv on machine B.
Machine B is a Sun running SunOS 3.4.  Is there a way to do this (such
as a filter that does rsh) or am I stuck?

barnett@crdgw1.crd.ge.com (Bruce G. Barnett) (05/26/89)

In article <568@laic.UUCP>, root@nova (The Root of all evil) writes:

You said it. the address root@nova.laic.uucp is nonsense.
laic.uucp is not a domain.

>I am trying to set up a print queue from machine A that prints on
>machine B.  I do not want to put machine A into hosts.equiv on machine B.
>Machine B is a Sun running SunOS 3.4.  Is there a way to do this (such
>as a filter that does rsh) or am I stuck?

create the file /etc/hosts.print. Put a plus sign in it.
	echo "+" >/etc/hosts.print

edit the file /usr/lib/lpd so that "/etc/hosts.equiv" is now "/etc/hosts.print"

Note:
	1) the string is still the same size, but a different value
	2) you need an editor that will let you edit a binary file
	   You can use emacs. Some binary editors appeared in
	   comp.sources. Also - There are some programs that
	   convert od(1) output into binary. convert lpd to ascii,
	   edit, convert back to binary.

--
Bruce G. Barnett	<barnett@crdgw1.ge.com>  a.k.a. <barnett@[192.35.44.4]>
			uunet!crdgw1.ge.com!barnett barnett@crdgw1.UUCP

abcscnge@csuna.csun.edu (Scott "The Pseudo-Hacker" Neugroschl) (05/28/89)

In article <568@laic.UUCP> root@nova.laic.uucp (The Root of all evil) writes:
>I am trying to set up a print queue from machine A that prints on
>machine B.  I do not want to put machine A into hosts.equiv on machine B.
>Machine B is a Sun running SunOS 3.4.  Is there a way to do this (such
>as a filter that does rsh) or am I stuck?

Doesn't anyone out there remember the "bad old days" when all we had was
UUCP?  I currently have a Motorla Delta system printing remote via an AT
running SCO 2.2.1.

As a matter of fact, SCO puts out a nice model for network printing.
Check out the "network" model file for SCO 2.2.1

Scott

--
Scott "The Pseudo-Hacker" Neugroschl
UUCP:  ...!sm.unisys.com!csun!csuna.csun.edu!abcscnge

steved@longs.LANCE.ColoState.Edu (Steve Dempsey) (05/29/89)

In article <462@crdgw1.crd.ge.com>, barnett@crdgw1.crd.ge.com (Bruce G. Barnett) writes:

> In article <568@laic.UUCP>, root@nova (The Root of all evil) writes:
>
> You said it. the address root@nova.laic.uucp is nonsense.
> laic.uucp is not a domain.

Ditto.  I didn't even try to mail because this address is bogus.

> >I am trying to set up a print queue from machine A that prints on
> >machine B.  I do not want to put machine A into hosts.equiv on machine B.
> >Machine B is a Sun running SunOS 3.4.  Is there a way to do this (such
> >as a filter that does rsh) or am I stuck?
>
> create the file /etc/hosts.print. Put a plus sign in it.
> 	echo "+" >/etc/hosts.print
>
> edit the file /usr/lib/lpd so that "/etc/hosts.equiv" is now "/etc/hosts.print"

Whoah!  How about /etc/hosts.lpd?  Did someone at SUN remove this
nice feature?  The file contains names of hosts that you allow
printer access to.

> Bruce G. Barnett	<barnett@crdgw1.ge.com>

        Steve Dempsey,  Center for Computer Assisted Engineering
  Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO  80523    +1 303 491 0630
INET: steved@longs.LANCE.ColoState.Edu, dempsey@handel.CS.ColoState.Edu
UUCP: boulder!ccncsu!longs.LANCE.ColoState.Edu!steved, ...!ncar!handel!dempsey

hwt@bnr-public.uucp (Henry Troup) (05/31/89)

SunOS at least supports /etc/hosts.lpd, allowing hosts that you
don't trust to print.  Is this standard BSD? or a useful Sun feature :^)

utgpu!bnr-vpa!bnr-fos!hwt%bnr-public | BNR is not 	| All that evil requires
hwt@bnr (BITNET/NETNORTH) 	     | responsible for 	| is that good men do
(613) 765-2337 (Voice)		     | my opinions	| nothing.

>Whoah!  How about /etc/hosts.lpd?  Did someone at SUN remove this
>nice feature?

Well, I don't know of any company named SUN, although there may be one;
however, since Sun, not SUN, is the company that does SunOS, it doesn't
matter.  Nobody at Sun took out "/etc/hosts.lpd"; at least in the 4.0
LPD(8), it says:

   OPERATION
     Access Control
        Access  control  is  provided  by  two  means.   First,  all
        requests must come from one of the machines listed in either
        the file /etc/hosts.equiv or /etc/hosts.lpd.  Second, if the
        rs  capability  is  specified  in the printcap entry, lpr(1)
        requests are only be honored for users with accounts on  the
        printer host.

and the 4.0 "lp*" code is basically the 4.3BSD code, with assorted
tweaks such as the "ms" capability, which takes a string argument that's
a bunch of "stty"-style option settings specifying the mode to set the
serial port for the printer to, and changes to use "statfs" to find out
how much space is left on a file system rather than pawing through the
superblock....