[comp.unix.questions] Mail to fortune

pvo@uther.CS.ORST.EDU (Paul V O'Neill) (05/30/89)

This reminds my of my longest, unanswered UN*X question.

Around day 1 of my exposure to UN*X I chanced upon the fortune(6) usage
blurb.  It ended with the sentence:
	Mail suggested fortunes to "fortune"
(Replicate with "/usr/games/fortune -" in SunOS 3.4, 3.5, 4.0 or 4.0.1)

I've learned a lot since then, and manage a few systems now, but I never
have figured out how to mail a fortune to fortune(6). (Only tried the
obvious--aliasing "fortune" to "|/usr/games/fortune" -- didn't work.)

Anybody got a clue?

Paul O'Neill                 pvo@oce.orst.edu
Coastal Imaging Lab
OSU--Oceanography
Corvallis, OR  97331         503-754-3251

chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) (05/31/89)

-
-I've learned a lot since then, and manage a few systems now, but I never
-have figured out how to mail a fortune to fortune(6). (Only tried the
-obvious--aliasing "fortune" to "|/usr/games/fortune" -- didn't work.)
-
-Anybody got a clue?

The `fortune' alias on ucbvax forwards to Ken Arnold (see the AUTHOR
section of manual entry, unless it has been deleted by your vendor).
New fortunes are added manually, after approval.

ambar@ora.UUCP (Jean Diaz ) (06/01/89)

In article <10868@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU>, pvo@uther.CS.ORST.EDU (Paul V O'Neill) writes:

> Around day 1 of my exposure to UN*X I chanced upon the fortune(6) usage
> blurb.  It ended with the sentence:
> 	Mail suggested fortunes to "fortune"
>
> I've learned a lot since then, and manage a few systems now, but I never
> have figured out how to mail a fortune to fortune(6). (Only tried the
> obvious--aliasing "fortune" to "|/usr/games/fortune" -- didn't work.)

Actually, I believe the answer is even simpler than that.  Don't
forget that fortune(6) came out of Berkeley.  Mail to "fortune" was
aliased to go to the human maintainer of the fortunes file, who adds
the fortune by hand.  (This is what we do at MIT Project Athena as
well.)

				AMBAR
ambar@ora.uu.net 				{uunet,adelie}!ora!ambar