[net.cooks] Plantains - what can I make with them?

korfhage@ucla-cs.UUCP (11/21/85)

   My roomate decided to be adventurous this week and picked up some odd
looking bananas, about 5 inches long with a dark greenish-maroon skin.
He neglected to get their name, but I presume they are some type of cooking
banana. What in the world should we make with them?

   Thanks for any ideas.
--
   Willard Korfhage

   ARPA : korfhage@ucla-ats.arpa
   UUCP : {ucbvax,ihnp4,randvax,trwrb!trwspp,ism780}!ucla-cs!korfhage

booter@lll-crg.ARpA (Elaine Richards) (11/24/85)

In article <7679@ucla-cs.ARPA> korfhage@ucla-cs.UUCP writes:

>   My roomate decided to be adventurous this week and picked up some odd
>looking bananas, about 5 inches long with a dark greenish-maroon skin.
>He neglected to get their name, but I presume they are some type of cooking
>banana. What in the world should we make with them?
>   Willard Korfhage

Saute them in butter and serve with cinnamon; steam them and serve with a
meat dish, Microwave them and soak them in booze.

Plaintains are very versatile. They taste like a cross between spuds and
bananas. This frees them from usual categories and allows you to eat
them as dessert or as a side dish.

*****

flory@zaphod.UUCP (Trevor Flory) (11/27/85)

In article <7679@ucla-cs.ARPA> korfhage@ucla-cs.UUCP writes:

>   My roomate decided to be adventurous this week and picked up some odd
>looking bananas, about 5 inches long with a dark greenish-maroon skin.
>He neglected to get their name, but I presume they are some type of cooking
>banana. What in the world should we make with them?
>   Willard Korfhage

Sliced thin (1-2 mm) and deep fried they make excellent banana
chips.  I make these often as a snack for Indian dishes (kormas, et al).
--
Trevor K. Flory            UUCP: ...!ihnp4{!alberta}!sask!zaphod!flory
Develcon Electronics Ltd:(disclaim!)   Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, CANADA

"Quote, quote, quote.  Ellipsis.  Quote, quote, quote.  Endquote." :-j

kamath@reed.UUCP (Sean Kamath) (11/28/85)

In article <1058@lll-crg.ARpA> booter@lll-crg.UUCP (Elaine Richards) writes:
>In article <7679@ucla-cs.ARPA> korfhage@ucla-cs.UUCP writes:
>>
>>   My roomate decided to be adventurous this week and picked up some odd
>>looking bananas, about 5 inches long with a dark greenish-maroon skin.
>>He neglected to get their name, but I presume they are some type of cooking
>>banana. What in the world should we make with them?
>>   Willard Korfhage
>
>Saute them in butter and serve with cinnamon; steam them and serve with a
>meat dish, Microwave them and soak them in booze.
>
>Plaintains are very versatile. They taste like a cross between spuds and
>bananas. This frees them from usual categories and allows you to eat
>them as dessert or as a side dish.

>*****

Another thing to do with plantains is to slice them very thin and fry
them in oil.  Banana chips are found all over the country in
supermarkets.  You can add verious things to them once they are fried.

Sean Kamath