[comp.unix.questions] Request for examples of mmap

maukh@warwick.ac.uk (Sunstorm the Intestinal) (06/01/89)

Hiya peeps.

I need some unbelievably well commented source code which has
mind-blowingly amazing examples of mmap(2) in it.  Unpredecedentedly
stomach-explodingly good examples, in fact.  I know I *need* to use
mmap, but somehow it just manages to evade my comprehension, by some
unscrupulously devious and suspect means.  Spleen-splinteringly good
examples of its usage would help me get to grips with it.

You better email me your responses as I can't envision there being
more than about three people (and perhaps one or two marsupials)
interested in the subject.

Thanks and changes of address in advance,
	~ Sunny.

+------------------------------+-------------------------------------------+
| "... there he fell headlong, |  ARPA:   maukh@cu.warwick.ac.uk           |
| his body burst open and all  |  BITNET: maukh%uk.ac.warwick.cu.UKACRL    |
| his intestines spilled out." |  UUCP:   maukh@warwick.uucp               |
+------------------------------+  JANET:  maukh@uk.ac.warwick.cu           |
| SNAIL:  59 Queensland Av, Chapelfields, COVENTRY, CV5 8FF, UK ('til July)|

maukh@warwick.ac.uk (Sunstorm the Intestinal) (06/03/89)

In article <Who cares, eh?> me@worrik (Sunny - that's me) proclaims
eloquently:
> [Entire posting deleted, but the gist of it can - not surprisingly
> - be found in the subject line.]

Well, fat lot of use you so-called Unix literates turned out to be.
Fine, sure, you all come in here with your fancy postings about "void
*chicken", ksh quirks, why fortune does what it apparently does and
other such trivia.  But when it comes to some real meaty inherently
nauseous Unix vomit, no-one is prepared to say anything more than:

> I can't help you, but your posting is one of the [superlative
> deleted] I've seen on Usenet in weeks.

   [The author's name/ID has been left out in order to maintain
   his/her/its/their anonymity (and protect him/her/it/them from
   unwanted, yet greatly deserved, embarrassment which would tend to
   bring into question his/her/its/their position as a
   Usenet.personality)]

Correct me if I'm wrong, but surely a question about one of Unix's
least/most (delete as appropriate) fundamental routines should not
be posted to rec.arts.chicken-farming or comp.unix.chickens.fashion
or one of the moderated chicken-related groups?  Surely *this* is
the place that people post to when they want answers fast?  Surely
this is where articles that require prompt replies are posted?
Surely articles are posted here by people who want answers to their
postings rather quickly?  Surely people who want their answers
quickly post their relevent questions here?  Surely
quick-answer-requiring articles are posted here?  Surely articles
posted here are written by people who require quick answers (or are
answers to postings written by people requiring such)?  Surely I'm
saying "surely" too much?  Surely "surely" is being said too much by
me?  Surely "surely" appears far too frequently in this posting?
Surely I may accurately be classified as a member of the set of
those people who overuse the word "surely"?  Surely I'm getting a
bit repetitive?  Surely I'm getting a bit repetitive?  Surely I'm
getting a bit repetitive?

Disclaimer:  Ignore the above paragraph.

Pah!  Looks like I'll actually have to read the manual entry after
all...  cheese, I hate all this phlegming about in hyperspace.  "man
mmap | removeobfuscation" here I come...

 ~ Sunny.

+------------------------------+-------------------------------------------+

snoopy@sopwith.UUCP (Snoopy) (06/04/89)

In article <113@orchid.warwick.ac.uk> maukh@warwick.ac.uk (Sunstorm the Intestinal) writes:

| I need some unbelievably well commented source code which has
| mind-blowingly amazing examples of mmap(2) in it.

It might help to say what system you are using.

From 4.3 BSD PS1:6-11:

	mmap(addr, len, prot, flags, fd, pos)

This call is not actually implemented in 4.3 BSD, it is planned for a
future release.

From Utek 2.3 Command Reference section 2:

	mmap(pid, fromaddr, toaddr, len, prot, share)

This was actually implemented.  I once wrote a program that used it.
Can you say "panic"?

|  Unpredecedentedly stomach-explodingly good examples, in fact.

Attempting to use a program written for one of these on a system providing
the other might explode your stomach, all right.

  /_______\   qiclab!sopwith!snoopy			|  	  |
    |___|     parsely!sopwith!snoopy			| tekecs  |
    |___|     sun!nosun!illian!sopwith!snoopy		|_________|

		"I *am* the next man!"  -Indy