[comp.unix.questions] Internet and AT&T Unix

gorpong@telxon.uucp (Gordon C. Galligher) (06/06/89)

I have a question which may seem quite childish to some of you.  I have a
"logical" answer, but as is often the case with computers, the logical answer
is not always the correct one.  I am currently writing a program which needs
to open up a few Internet sockets and then accept requests from a strictly
local system program to talk to these internet systems.  (The "systems" are
just printers on a terminal server).  I have started building this in the
mind that it may be useful so I have put in hooks for both 4.xBSD sockets
and System V message passing.  As I started building the daemon which will
actually open up the internet ports, I realized that if this were a system V
system, it wouldn't have Berkeley sockets.

If this is the case, then all of the systems which are on the Internet are
strictly Berkeley systems (or hybrids like HP-UX or SunOS).  Is this the case?
Does some flavor of vanilla AT&T UNIX System V.x support Inet domain sockets?
Do I need to have this program this generic?  Could I just restrict it to
4.xBSD information?

I do apologize for this if it has already be discussed, and as I said, I
believe the logical answers for the above are:  yes, no, no, yes
but the logical is not always the correct one.  Please e-mail your responses
and if there is enough call for it, I will post my results.  Thank you very
much.

		-- Gordon.

Gordon C. Galligher  <|> ...!uunet!telxon!gorpong <|> gorpong@telxon.uucp.uu.net
Telxon Corporation   <|> "Before they warped out of orbit I beamed the whole kit
Akron, Ohio, 44313   <|> and kabootle into their engine room." - Scotty
(216) 867-3700 (3512)<|>   (Trouble with Tribbles)

soley@moegate.UUCP (Norman S. Soley) (06/06/89)

In article <56@telxon.UUCP> gorpong@telxon.UUCP (Gordon C. Galligher) writes:
>As I started building the daemon which will actually open up the internet
>ports, I realized that if this were a system V system, it wouldn't have
>Berkeley sockets.

System V.3 has streams which operates at a diferent level of abstraction
than sockets. It is possible (and in fact has been done by many vendors)
to implement sockets using streams. Other people have written socket libraries
to work under System V. Check with your System V vendor (or more likely
the vendor of your TCP/IP).

--
  Norman Soley - The Communications Guy - Ontario Ministry of the Environment
soley@moegate.UUCP  or if you roll your own:  uunet!attcan!ncrcan!moegate!soley