[net.cooks] Uses for Fresh Turmeric?

kelem@aero.ARPA (Steve Kelem) (11/20/85)

Does anyone know how to cook with fresh turmeric?
I've looked in "The Guide to Edible Landscaping", which only says that
the rhizome is used.  It doesn't say when to harvest it, or how to process it.
Are the leaves used in cooking?
If so, are they used when they are green or after they dry?
My "Guide to Indian Cookery" was also no help in this matter.

Please reply directly to me or to net.cooks.

Thanks,
Steve Kelem
kelem@aerospace		ARPA
...!trwrb!aero!kelem	UUCP

chris@leadsv.UUCP (Chris Salander) (11/26/85)

In article <565@aero.ARPA>, kelem@aero.ARPA (Steve Kelem) writes:
> Does anyone know how to cook with fresh turmeric?
> Are the leaves used in cooking?
> If so, are they used when they are green or after they dry?

	A cookbook I have says to use completely different quantities
when using fresh herbs instead of desicated ones.  It says to use
THREE times the quantity of herb when it is fresh, and to make sure
that the leaves (or stems) are crushed or broken open.

	Also, I think in your case the leaves ARE used, but that they
should eventually be removed before eating.

mani1@puff.UUCP (11/28/85)