[comp.unix.questions] Directory Editor

donegan@stanton.UUCP ( Owner) (06/05/89)

I'm sorry if this has been covered before, but is there source code available
which would allow me(root) to edit a directory file directly? The reason for
this need is that every once in a while either inews or xbbs fries a directory
entry. This is rare, but the process of tar'ing a large file tree and
rm -r'ing it and then untar'ing it is a little tedious when I can see via
hd exactly what the problem is. The fsck utility does not catch this particular
problem. Thanks for any help...
--
Steven P. Donegan                 These opinions are given on MY time, not
Area Telecommunications Engineer  Western Digital's - They wouldn't agree!

jeff@quark.WV.TEK.COM (Jeff Beadles) (06/07/89)

In article <603@stanton.UUCP> donegan@stanton.UUCP ( Owner) writes:
>I'm sorry if this has been covered before, but is there source code available
>which would allow me(root) to edit a directory file directly?

Nope.  Only the kernel can write to a directory.  Even allmighty root can't
do that.  However, if you're really bored, I guess that you could go into
the raw filesystem, search for the block on-disk, and tweek it there.  :-) :-)

(Don't do this at home kids...)

	-Jeff