[comp.unix.questions] UNIX-based BBS Software

gerry@dialogic.UUCP (Gerry Lachac) (06/07/89)

We are currently in the market for a UNIX-based BBS system that we can
set up in a technical support capacity.  Does anyone have any familiarity
with such a beast?  I know of Picospan(sp?) ala the WELL, but I don't know
where to get any info on that software.

Requirements would be:

	o  able to run under Interactive ix/386 or AT&T386
	o  Download and upload capabilities

Any pointers to software, Commercial or Public Domain, would be
appreciated.

--
			( under construction )

..!uunet!dialogic!gerry   <------ OR  ------>   gerry@dialogic.UUCP

We have found that 95% of the capabilities of a BBS can be achieved by ripping
certain shell escapes out of the news system, and adding an editor. It's a far
better message system than any standard BBS I've ever used. The closest
competitor I've seen is the commercial product TBBS.

Business: uunet.uu.net!ficc!peter, peter@ficc.uu.net, +1 713 274 5180.
Personal: ...!texbell!sugar!peter, peter@sugar.hackercorp.com.

root@conexch.UUCP (Larry Dighera) (06/09/89)

In article <296@dialogic.UUCP> gerry@dialogic.UUCP (Gerry Lachac) writes:
>We are currently in the market for a UNIX-based BBS system that we can
>set up in a technical support capacity.  Does anyone have any familiarity
>with such a beast?  I know of Picospan(sp?) ala the WELL, but I don't know
>where to get any info on that software.
>
>Requirements would be:
>
>	o  able to run under Interactive ix/386 or AT&T386
>	o  Download and upload capabilities
>
>Any pointers to software, Commercial or Public Domain, would be
>appreciated.

        You can always get the latest version of XBBS via anonymous UUCP
        from conexch.  Just login as nuucp and request
        /usr/spool/uucppublic/ALLbbs.tar.Z.  There's a Systems entery in
        the .signature at the end of this followup article.

        XBBS was placed into the public domain by Sanford Zelkovitz and
        is distributed in C source code form.  It supports mutiple
        message and file areas, and several file transfer protocols.
        XBBS is completely openended in that you can make any program or
        shell script available to XBBS users.  There is complete user
        access permission control with regard to accessable areas and
        time allotment, as well as all the other features that make for a
        truely useable BBS.

	Larry Dighera

--
USPS: The Consultants' Exchange, PO Box 12100, Santa Ana, CA  92712
TELE: (714) 842-6348: BBS (N81); (714) 842-5851: Xenix guest account (E71)