[comp.unix.questions] problems with uucp

jms@infmx.UUCP (John Stephens) (06/07/89)

I am having a problem with some (but not all) of my uucp connections.
After negotiating a login and begining the protocol, we are getting
a number of alarms instead of packet completions (CY ?).  This occurs
at random times, early in the transmission and both when sending and
receiving  files.

The hardware in question is a sun box connected to a TB+, and the identical
lash up is being used to link to other systems without incident.  I have tried
to get in touch with people at the other end, but they claim there is no
problem and won't look into it.

I remember having this problem once before, but as it disappeared as
mysteriously as it had arrived I never found a satisfactory solution.
Any suggestions ?

Jack
Jack Stephens                                         ..!pyramid!infmx!jms
Resident Visitor

gentry@kcdev.UUCP (Art Gentry) (06/08/89)

In article <1526@infmx.UUCP>, jms@infmx.UUCP (John Stephens) writes:
> I am having a problem with some (but not all) of my uucp connections.
> After negotiating a login and begining the protocol, we are getting
> a number of alarms instead of packet completions (CY ?).  This occurs
> at random times, early in the transmission and both when sending and
> receiving  files.
>
> [additional verbage deleted]

I have had the same problem 2 times and both times it was the other ends'
modem eating dc1/dc3 characters.  Some modems allow you to set the flow
control directly within the modem, for uucp transfers, this must be disabled
since uucico expects to see the dc1 character in its packet.  Turning off
this option in the far end modems cleared up the problem for me both times.

--
| R. Arthur Gentry     AT&T Communications     Kansas City, MO     64106 |
| Email: killer!kcdev!gentry         ATTMail: attmail!kc4rtm!gentry      |

wyle@inf.ethz.ch (Mitchell Wyle) (06/12/89)

In article <1526@infmx.UUCP> jms@infmx.UUCP (John Stephens) writes:
[...]
>After negotiating a login and begining the protocol, we are getting
>a number of alarms instead of packet completions (CY ?).  This occurs
>at random times, early in the transmission and both when sending and

It sounds like someone or something has flow control set to XON.  These
symptoms are identical to my problem when the broadband net police here
turn flow control on.   -Mitch

--
-Mitchell F. Wyle
Institut fuer Informationssysteme         wyle@inf.ethz.ch