[comp.unix.questions] Frequently asked questions -> usenet vs. internet

zellich@st-louis-emh2.army.mil (Rich Zellich) (06/07/89)

David Lawrence suggests everyone should read news.announce.newusers and
the monthly posting to comp.unix.{questions,wizards}.

PLEASE, all of you who are arguing about having a Frequently Asked Questions
posting, remember that "info-unix" (listed as the To: address in Mr. Lawrence's
message - NOT a usenet newsgroup) is an *internet mailing list*.  Many of us
get our info-unix and unix-wizards feed as mail on the net, and *not* as a
newsgroup via the usenet.  We *don't have access to* monthly postings and
"abc.xyz.announce', etc.

You can flame at people all you want for not reading the standard newsgroup
items, but if they don't get it, they can't read it...you're talking at a
mixed audience here, folks...we ain't all on the usenet, and the monthly
and other administrivia postings *aren't gatewayed*.

ncoverby@ndsuvax.UUCP (Glen Overby) (06/12/89)

In article <19904@adm.BRL.MIL> zellich@st-louis-emh2.army.mil (Rich Zellich) writes:

>...  remember that "info-unix" (listed as the To: address in Mr. Lawrence's
>message - NOT a usenet newsgroup) is an *internet mailing list*.  Many of us
>get our info-unix and unix-wizards feed as mail on the net, and *not* as a
>newsgroup via the usenet.  We *don't have access to* monthly postings and
>"abc.xyz.announce', etc.

Would it be possible for the maintainer of info-unix to mail a copy of the
Frequently Asked Questions to all new subscribers??  A section on submitting
articles to that side of the list, as well as signing off, could be of help
to those readers.

I'm suprised that there isn't an internet site which has these available for
anonymous FTP.  I don't have a very recent copy of the monthly postings, but
I've put what I do have in pub/News on plains.nodak.edu so that all the
info-unix readers on the Internet can anonymously FTP them from there.  I'll
update them when Gene posts them again next month, so you might want check
back then if you want a current copy.
--
		Glen Overby	<ncoverby@plains.nodak.edu>
	uunet!ndsuvax!ncoverby (UUCP)	ncoverby@ndsuvax (Bitnet)

rbj@dsys.ncsl.nist.gov (Root Boy Jim) (06/13/89)

? From: Rich Zellich <zellich@st-louis-emh2.army.mil>

? PLEASE, all of you who are arguing about having a Frequently Asked Questions
? posting, remember that "info-unix" (listed as the To: address in Mr. Lawrence's
? message - NOT a usenet newsgroup) is an *internet mailing list*.  Many of us
? get our info-unix and unix-wizards feed as mail on the net, and *not* as a
? newsgroup via the usenet.  We *don't have access to* monthly postings and
? "abc.xyz.announce', etc.

? You can flame at people all you want for not reading the standard newsgroup
? items, but if they don't get it, they can't read it...you're talking at a
? mixed audience here, folks...we ain't all on the usenet, and the monthly
? and other administrivia postings *aren't gatewayed*.

I was going to propose this as a general solution, but then I realized
that the ARPANET isn't the whole thing. USENET exists as well.

For us ARPA types, the solution is to mail us the foo.bar.announce text
when we sign up to the foo.bar (opps, info-foobar :-) newsgroup. Most of
the moderators just send a `ok, you're on' message. Some other ones
send what looks to be their blurb in the list-of-lists.

And If I run a distribution list, I should give JRH* a copy as well
before I add him to my distribution list.

Solutions are easy if you look for them.

	Root Boy Jim is what I am
	Are you what you are or what?

*JRH is, of course, Joe Random Hacker