stuffing.

If I get enough responses (hopefully!!)
I'll sum them up for all.

Thanks in advance!!
Barb Nemeth
../pyuxa!barb

holly@hpfcla.UUCP (11/12/85)

Barb,

Cooking a turkey is not too hard.  Cooking time is always printed on the
wrapper.  I always go by that (number of hours to the weight of the bird).
Be sure to clean the inside and the neck of the bird as stuffing can also
be placed in that area also.  After you have cleaned these, salt the inside
and neck areas before putting in your stuffing.  Be sure to bend and "hook"
the wings behind the bird (think of how a fried chicken wing looks - in a
triangle shape).  This will help balance the bird in the pan.

When stuffing the bird, press with the back of the spoon after each spoon-
ful as to maximize the amount of stuffing inside.  (Any leftover stuffing
can be put in a casserole dish, heated and served in case you need more
for your dinner.)  Be sure the skin seals all openings and secure them
with skewers (small ones are available for this).  A lot of women sew the
openings shut with string.  NOTE:  Be cautious with stuffing especially
if it has eggs in it.  Don't make it and let it sit around awhile before
stuffing the turkey.  It can cause all those little critters to start
growing.

Lay the bird on its back in your roasting pan.  Melt about a stick of
butter (or margarine) on a very low heat - only til melted.  Pour or drizzle
over the bird making sure all is covered.  Salt and pepper the breast.
Make a tent out of tin foil and cover the bird.  I take the tent off the
last hour or so because I like the skin to look nice and brown.  Be sure
to baste the turkey or it will dry out.  Sometimes I had a little water
to insure moistness by pouring over the turkey or adding to the juices then
basting.

I have two favorite stuffing recipes.  One is an allspice stuffing my
mother used to make (a lot like Sage Stuffing) and another one I found in
her one and only cookbook is a cornbread stuffing and it is delicious.

Let me know if you would like either one and I will be glad to post them.

Remember, the bigger the bird the earlier you have to get up in the
morning.  (That's what I remember about my mother and Thanksgiving.  5:00
a.m. she was up and at it.  That was only because all those old germans
had to eat at noon.  Then you started piecing at 2:30 p.m., then supper
at 5:00 p.m. if there was anything left.)  What joyful memories that
all brings back.

Hope this helps!

hpfcla!holly

holly@hpfcla.UUCP (11/12/85)

About the gravy, just mix up some cornstarch and water according to
package directions and stir right into the juice and drippings left
in the pan after the turkey is removed.  Cook and stir until thick
(not too thick).  Salt and pepper to taste or let you guests do it.
If it's not thick enough, add a little more of the cornstarch mixture.
Makes great gravy.  Add the giblets if you want.  Personally, I can't
stand them.

Enjoy!

Holly

lewish@acf2.UUCP (Henry M. Lewis) (11/17/85)

> Cooking a turkey is not too hard.

> When stuffing the bird, press with the back of the spoon after each spoon-
> ful as to maximize the amount of stuffing inside.

Many cooks recommend the opposite:  stuff the bird loosely, for the stuffing
expands as it absorbs juices from the bird.  Holly's method produces stuffing
that is much more solid, sort of like a bread pudding--which is fine if you
prefer it that way.

--Hank Lewis   ..!ihnp4!cmcl2!acf2!lewish

hammond@steinmetz.UUCP (Steve Hammond) (11/21/85)

> Barb,
>
> Cooking a turkey is not too hard.  Cooking time is always printed on the
>       .
>       .
>       .
> When stuffing the bird, press with the back of the spoon after each spoon-
> ful as to maximize the amount of stuffing inside.  (Any leftover stuffing
> can be put in a casserole dish, heated and served in case you need more
> for your dinner.)  Be sure the skin seals all openings and secure them
> with skewers (small ones are available for this).  A lot of ->women<- sew the
> openings shut with string.  NOTE:  Be cautious with stuffing especially
>       .
>       .
>       .

What about us guys who like to cook?  What are we supposed to do?  :-)
--
  Steve Hammond
   arpa: hammond@ge-crd

	the deepest  personal  defeat suffered by human beings is
	constitued by the difference between what one was capable
	of becoming and what one has in fact become.
					(a. montagu)

bobn@bmcg.UUCP (Bob Nebert) (11/21/85)

> About the gravy, just mix up some cornstarch and water according to
> package directions and stir right into the juice and drippings left
> in the pan after the turkey is removed.  Cook and stir until thick
> (not too thick).  Salt and pepper to taste or let you guests do it.
> If it's not thick enough, add a little more of the cornstarch mixture.
> Makes great gravy.  Add the giblets if you want.  Personally, I can't
> stand them.

Instead of cornstarch I use flour and water. Mix it first into a
very water mixture then stir into the drippings.

ramsey@ucla-cs.UUCP (11/23/85)

For years I have found the MOST foolproof way of cooking turkey
is in a plain BROWN PAPER BAG.  Yes, the kind you bring your
groceries home in.

Stuff him/her with whatever, butter, salt, pepper, paprika the
outside, stuff him/her in that brown paper bag, roll up the
opening and staple it shut.  Put the whole thing on a cookie
sheet, (to catch the juices) turn on the oven to 350 or so
and cook for the recommended minutes per pound.  You will end
up with a beautifully browned, moist turkey that anyone would
admire.  While it is cooking you can do whatever.....no basting
is required.  The paper bag will NOT catch fire....there is enough
moisture to keep is from burning up.

Forget the days of basting every 20 minutes.  Enjoy your day!
--
Brenda Ramsey
UCLA Computer Science Department

ramsey@LOCUS.UCLA.EDU
..!{sdcrdcf,ihnp4,trwspp,ucbvax}!ucla-cs!ramsey
Phone- (213) 825-2778

charli@cylixd.UUCP (Charli Phillips) (11/25/85)

For a perfect turkey every time, cook it the night before....

Make sure your turkey is completely thawed.  Preheat oven to 425.  Wash
and dry turkey.  Rub it inside and out with salt, pepper, and butter.
(The one drawback of this method - don't stuff it!  You'll have to cook
the stuffing in a casserole dish.)  Put a quartered onion in the body
cavity.  Put the turkey in a roasting pan, pour one cup of boiling
water over it, put the lid on it, and put it in the oven.  EXACTLY one
hour later, turn the oven off.  DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN.  The next
morning, when the oven is completely cold, take the turkey out and use
the oven for everything else you're going to cook to go with it.
Before serving, put the turkey in a preheated 500 degree oven for 20 to
25 minutes.

Delicious!

berry@zinfandel.UUCP (Berry Kercheval) (12/02/85)

In article <523@cylixd.UUCP> charli@cylixd.UUCP (Charli Phillips) writes:
>For a perfect turkey every time, [...] Preheat oven to 425. [...]
>put [the turkey] in the oven.  EXACTLY one
>hour later, turn the oven off.  DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN.  The next
>morning, when the oven is completely cold, take the turkey out [...]

I recommend NOT doing this -- it sounds like a sure-fire recipe for Salmonella
poisoning!
--
Berry Kercheval		Zehntel Inc.	(ihnp4!zehntel!zinfandel!berry)
(415)932-6900				(kerch@lll-tis.ARPA)