[comp.unix.questions] hosts.lpd

In article <532@bnr-fos.UUCP> hwt@bnr-public.UUCP (Henry Troup) writes:
>SunOS at least supports /etc/hosts.lpd, allowing hosts that you
>don't trust to print.  Is this standard BSD? or a useful Sun feature :^)

  SunOS 3.[45] doesn't.  Are you talking about SunOS 4?  Our Ultrix
machine (2.2 I think) supports hosts.lpd; I believe it's a BSD thing.
I don't know why it isn't in SunOS 3; maybe it's a 4.3 innovation?

+---------------------------+------------------------+
| Anton Rang (grad student) | "VMS Forever!"         |
| Michigan State University | rang@cpswh.cps.msu.edu |
+---------------------------+------------------------+

childers@avsd.UUCP (Richard Childers) (06/10/89)

rang@cpsin3.cps.msu.edu (Anton Rang) writes:

>hwt@bnr-public.UUCP (Henry Troup) writes:

>>SunOS at least supports /etc/hosts.lpd, allowing hosts that you
>>don't trust to print.  Is this standard BSD? or a useful Sun feature :^)

>I don't know why it isn't in SunOS 3; maybe it's a 4.3 innovation?

It was added to BSD 4.3, it was unknown in BSD 4.2.

-- richard

--
 *    "We must hang together, gentlemen ... else, we shall most assuredly     *
 *     hang separately."         Benjamin Franklin, 1776                      *

envbvs@epb2.lbl.gov (Brian V. Smith) (06/10/89)

In article <1260@avsd.UUCP>, childers@avsd.UUCP (Richard Childers) writes:

> rang@cpsin3.cps.msu.edu (Anton Rang) writes:
>
> >hwt@bnr-public.UUCP (Henry Troup) writes:
>
> >>SunOS at least supports /etc/hosts.lpd, allowing hosts that you
> >>don't trust to print.  Is this standard BSD? or a useful Sun feature :^)
>
> >I don't know why it isn't in SunOS 3; maybe it's a 4.3 innovation?
>
> It was added to BSD 4.3, it was unknown in BSD 4.2.

Let's see how many "In article ... writes:" we can get for this subject.

But seriously, folks.  Ultrix has (since 1.2) always had the /etc/hosts.lpd
file to allow host access to the printer daemon.
Strange that 4.2BSD didn't have it.  I thought they were always ahead of DEC.

_____________________________________
Brian V. Smith    (bvsmith@lbl.gov)
Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory
We don't need no signatures!

rbj@dsys.ncsl.nist.gov (Root Boy Jim) (06/13/89)

? From: Richard Childers <childers@avsd.uucp>

? >>SunOS at least supports /etc/hosts.lpd, allowing hosts that you
? >>don't trust to print.  Is this standard BSD? or a useful Sun feature :^)

? >I don't know why it isn't in SunOS 3; maybe it's a 4.3 innovation?

? It was added to BSD 4.3, it was unknown in BSD 4.2.

Yes, that is correct. If you need the capability that hosts.lpd provides,
here is what you do.

1) make a copy of your lpd in case you screw up.

2) emacs lpd and change the string /etc/hosts.equiv to
   /etc/hosts.lpd\0\0. Use adb if you don't have emacs.
   the `\0's are null's. Don't change the size of the file!

3) cp /etc/hosts.equiv /etc/hosts.lpd. Edit the latter.

	Root Boy Jim is what I am
	Are you what you are or what?

chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) (06/14/89)

In article <2805@helios.ee.lbl.gov> envbvs@epb2.lbl.gov (Brian V. Smith) writes:
>But seriously, folks.  Ultrix has (since 1.2) always had the /etc/hosts.lpd
>file to allow host access to the printer daemon.
>Strange that 4.2BSD didn't have it.  I thought they were always ahead of DEC.

Not always.  But Ultrix 1.2 came out after 4.3BSD.  Guess which had
hosts.lpd first.