[comp.unix.questions] vi question. How to return to visual mode.

max@jma.UUCP (Max Heffler @ Landmark Graphics) (06/15/89)

Some times, in vi, I hit some unknown key sequence that throws me
into a command mode that I have not been able to return to visual
mode from.  Any ideas?

Thanx in advance...

--
Max Heffler                     uucp: ..!uunet!jma!max
Landmark Graphics Corp.         phone: (713) 579-4751

maddog@cbnews.ATT.COM (john.j.tupper) (06/15/89)

In article <159@jma.UUCP> max@jma.UUCP (Max Heffler @ Landmark Graphics) writes:
>Some times, in vi, I hit some unknown key sequence that throws me
>into a command mode that I have not been able to return to visual
>mode from.  Any ideas?

At the colan, type in vi. (for visual, I think).

boykin@calliope.Encore.COM (Joseph Boykin) (06/15/89)

In article <159@jma.UUCP> max@jma.UUCP (Max Heffler @ Landmark Graphics) writes:
>Some times, in vi, I hit some unknown key sequence that throws me
>into a command mode that I have not been able to return to visual
>mode from.  Any ideas?

The "unknown key sequence" is "Q"; which means to "quit" from
visual mode into ex mode.  To get back into visual mode, issue
the command ":visual" (minimal abbreviation is "vi".

I sometimes use "Q", followed by a "set term=" command, followed
by a ":vi" command if I my TERM environment variable is set up wrong.
It's the only way to change terminal types from within the editor
as you can't do it from visual mode.

----

Joe Boykin
Encore Computer Corp
Vice-Chair, IEEE Computer Societies'
    Technical Activities Board

Internet: boykin@encore.com
UUCP: encore!boykin

ifenn%ee.surrey.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk (Ian Fenn) (06/15/89)

Max Heffler @ Landmark Graphics <max@jma.uucp> writes.....

>Some times, in vi, I hit some unknown key sequence that throws me
>into a command mode that I have not been able to return to visual
>mode from.  Any ideas?

I've had this problem before...... typing 'vi' and then carriage return will
take you back to visual mode.

>Thanx in advance...

It's been a pleasure....

--
Ian Fenn,                     +------------------------------------------------+
Computer System Technician,   |  Network Address : ifenn@ee.surrey.ac.uk       |

maart@cs.vu.nl (Maarten Litmaath) (06/16/89)

What's wrong with

	:vi
?
--
"I HATE arbitrary limits, especially when |Maarten Litmaath @ VU Amsterdam:
   they're small."  (Stephen Savitzky)    |maart@cs.vu.nl, mcvax!botter!maart

gph@hpsemc.HP.COM (Paul Houtz) (06/16/89)

max@jma.UUCP (Max Heffler @ Landmark Graphics) writes:

>Some times, in vi, I hit some unknown key sequence that throws me
>into a command mode that I have not been able to return to visual
>mode from.  Any ideas?

 If you are getting a colon prompt, simply type in "vi" and return.
 You are probably in ex.  Also, I would suggest that you might want
 to read the man entry on vi and ex.

 I don't mean that in a cynical way, just trying to be helpful.

sft@ihlpa.ATT.COM (Scott Thompson) (06/16/89)

At the colon prompt, type 'vi' and <RETURN>.

  Scott Thompson (IH 6W-207), AT&T Bell Labs, Naperville, Il. 60566

       VOICE: (312)-979-2237     UUCP: ...!att!ihlpa!sft

morrell@hpsal2.HP.COM (Michael Morrell) (06/16/89)

/ hpsal2:comp.unix.questions / max@jma.UUCP (Max Heffler @ Landmark Graphics) /  4:18 pm  Jun 14, 1989 /
Some times, in vi, I hit some unknown key sequence that throws me
into a command mode that I have not been able to return to visual
mode from.  Any ideas?
----------

Usually, "Q" puts you in "ex" mode.  When this happens, just type "vi<return>"
to get back to visual mode.

  Michael

mbrands@idca.tds.PHILIPS.nl (Manfred Brands) (06/16/89)

In article <159@jma.UUCP> max@jma.UUCP (Max Heffler @ Landmark Graphics) writes:
>Some times, in vi, I hit some unknown key sequence that throws me
>into a command mode that I have not been able to return to visual
>mode from.  Any ideas?

That key is the Q (capital). Often I hit it when I want a W.
It puts you in ex mode.
To get back in visual mode just type: vi or visual

--
# Manfred Brands                       INTERNET:  mbrands@idca.tds.philips.nl #
# Philips TDS, Dept. SSP               UUCP:      ...!mcvax!philapd!mbrands   #

rikki@macom1.UUCP (R. L. Welsh) (06/16/89)

From article <159@jma.UUCP>, by max@jma.UUCP (Max Heffler @ Landmark Graphics):
> Some times, in vi, I hit some unknown key sequence that throws me
> into a command mode that I have not been able to return to visual
> mode from.  Any ideas?

If you hit a "Q", you will exit visual mode and enter command line mode
(as if you had invoked "ex" instead of vi).  To return to visual mode,
just type "vi" at the ":" prompt.
--
	- Rikki	(UUCP: grebyn!macom1!rikki)