[net.cooks] Masa Harina as corn meal

warren@pluto.UUCP (Warren Burstein) (12/04/85)

In article <315@well.UUCP>, jayr@well.UUCP (Jay Roth) writes:
> 	I just bought some masa harina, in anticipation of making tortillas.
> However, the ingredients in masa look better than the corn meal I get at
> a local store.  I was thinking of substituting masa for corn meal in
> recipes.  Is this practical?  Also, does anyone have any suggestions for
> using masa for something other than tortillas?

Masa harina is treated with lime.  Someone here once made cornbread with
it and it came out very bitter, almost inedible.  I didn't see anything
so awful in Quaker's cornmeal, just added vitamins.

I don't know of anything but tortillas that you can make with masa but
you can either fry them for tostadas or roll them as enchiladas using lots
of different fillings and then make corn chips with whatever's left.