[comp.unix.questions] unix: Re: Meaning of foo and bar

pm4062ms@tecnet-clemson.arpa (06/20/89)

Consider these three acronymic comments on the human condition:

SNAFU --  Situation Normal, All F***ed Up.

JANFU --  Joint Army-Navy F*** Up.

FUBAR --  F***ed Up Beyond All Recognition.

I believe 'foo' and 'bar' simply are syllables from the last one.

Mark Schaeffer                  |  "If genius were more often found in
pm4062ms@tecnet-clemson.arpa    |   grey than bright colors, the world

soley@moegate.UUCP (Norman S. Soley) (06/21/89)

In article <20061@adm.BRL.MIL> pm4062ms@tecnet-clemson.arpa writes:
>FUBAR --  F***ed Up Beyond All Recognition.
>
>I believe 'foo' and 'bar' simply are syllables from the last one.

Foo long pre-dates FUBAR, which is WWII US army slang. It appeared
frequently in comic strips (Pogo, Smokey Stover) and cartoons (Warner
Brothers) in the 1930's as a nonsense or filler word. It's most likely
it's current use was originated by a comic freak.

Is it time for a comp.what.is.foo?
--
  Norman Soley - The Communications Guy - Ontario Ministry of the Environment
soley@moegate.UUCP  or if you roll your own:  uunet!attcan!ncrcan!moegate!soley

sw@igloo.Scum.COM (Stephen Wolfson) (06/21/89)

Then there is the VAX designer who immortalize FUBAR in the VAX architecture.

	The VAX has a Failed UniBus Address Register
	 	      ^      ^  ^   ^       ^

In article <408@moegate.UUCP> soley@moegate.UUCP (Norman S. Soley) writes:
>In article <20061@adm.BRL.MIL> pm4062ms@tecnet-clemson.arpa writes:
>>FUBAR --  F***ed Up Beyond All Recognition.
>>
>>I believe 'foo' and 'bar' simply are syllables from the last one.
>
>Foo long pre-dates FUBAR, which is WWII US army slang. It appeared
>frequently in comic strips (Pogo, Smokey Stover) and cartoons (Warner
>Brothers) in the 1930's as a nonsense or filler word. It's most likely
>it's current use was originated by a comic freak.
>
>Is it time for a comp.what.is.foo?

No.  It is time to politely inform all readers that this word is defined
in the frequently-asked-questions section of the monthly posting to
news.announce.newusers.  Therefore, there is no excuse for anyone to ask
for this definition.

				--Blair
				  "RTFM."

mchinni@pica.army.mil (Michael J. Chinni, SMCAR-CCS-E) (06/24/89)

In an article bph@buengc.bu.edu writes:
>In article <408@moegate.UUCP> soley@moegate.UUCP (Norman S. Soley) writes:
>>Is it time for a comp.what.is.foo?
>No.  It is time to politely inform all readers that this word is defined
>in the frequently-asked-questions section of the monthly posting to
>news.announce.newusers.  Therefore, there is no excuse for anyone to ask
>for this definition.

That comment is bull*#@% (at the least). Have you NEVER heard that not ALL
people get USENET news and therefore CAN'T READ THE *.*.* NEWGROUPS!

I agree that all answers to these type (frequently-asked-questions) of
questions should be mailed to the requester for them to summarize, and not to
the net at large. But to say "Therefore, there is no excuse for anyone to ask
for this definition" is totally uncalled for and at the VERY least
short-sighted.

			    Michael J. Chinni
      Chief Scientist, Simulation Techniques and Workplace Automation Team
	 US Army Armament Research, Development, and Engineering Center
 User to skeleton sitting at cobweb   () Picatinny Arsenal, New Jersey
    and dust covered workstation      () ARPA: mchinni@pica.army.mil
      "System been down long?"        () UUCP: ...!uunet!pica.army.mil!mchinni

		    <insert standard disclaimer here>