[comp.unix.questions] remote logins starting X

usenet@umrisca.isc.umr.edu (usenet) (06/23/89)

>From: tmh@well.UUCP (Todd M. Hoff)
>On a remote connection via telnet or a dialup line, if the remote
>site starts X it takes over the console. Although this behavior
>makes sense in some cases, generally people get a little miffed when
>their console gets taken over.
>Configuration: RT running 4.3.

I was told on the phone yesterday that this was normal behavior for
X windows.  Apparently X behaves like this so its easier for them to
test and debug (its a BIG security hole, but that's another matter).
The same guy also said they were developing a patch to stop this
behavior.  You may want to call out to CA to check on it.

Henry
henryc@cs.umr.edu

envbvs@epb2.lbl.gov (Brian V. Smith) (06/25/89)

< >From: tmh@well.UUCP (Todd M. Hoff)
<
< I was told on the phone yesterday that this was normal behavior for
< X windows.  Apparently X behaves like this so its easier for them to
< test and debug (its a BIG security hole, but that's another matter).
< The same guy also said they were developing a patch to stop this
< behavior.  You may want to call out to CA to check on it.

By this "behaviour" do you mean the fact that ANYONE can start up the
X system, or do you mean the fact that the console is taken over when
X starts?

If the first, then I agree.  But one should just be able to make the server
executable only by root to solve that problem.

If the second, then I must disagree that it was done just to make X easier
to debug.  Why would you want the "glass tty" of the console to be functional
when X is running?  How would you give it input?  In many applications, it
will still get output destined for /dev/console, although through "xterm -C"
or xcons one may re-route the output to an X window.
Brian V. Smith    (bvsmith@lbl.gov)
Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory
We don't need no stinking signatures!
Brian V. Smith    (bvsmith@lbl.gov)