[comp.unix.questions] Anybody ever heard of DUAL

bshafer@udenva.cair.du.edu (Bob Shafer) (06/05/89)

There is a company called DUAL that makes a UNIX box.  Has anyone ever
heard of them?  Is there anybody that actually has touched one?  Are
they any good?

I would be interested if anyone has had any experience with them, good or
bad.

Thanks,

Bob Shafer

Colorado Alliance of Research Libraries
Internet:	bshafer@du.edu
BITNET:		BSHAFER@DUCAIR
Usenet:		...ncar!dunike!bshafer

szirin@cbnewsm.ATT.COM (seth.zirin) (06/06/89)

In article <11791@duorion.cair.du.edu> bshafer@dunike.UUCP (Bob Shafer) writes:
>There is a company called DUAL that makes a UNIX box.  Has anyone ever
>heard of them?  Is there anybody that actually has touched one?  Are
>they any good?

I'll probably be flamed and corrected, but...

DUAL was one of the first (the first?) commercial 68000/UNIX\(rg boxes
around and their v7 came from Unisoft and was called UNIPLUS+\(rg.  I
never touched one of their boxes but I did see one at the Unisoft
porting lab.

A company named Megadata (Bohemia. NY) was also one of the 68000/UNIX
pioneers and their v7 came from Unisoft as well.  Megadata's boxes
were (are?) pretty good (I did many of the device drivers :-) ).

seth.zirin@att.com

arul@sdsu.UUCP (Arul Ananthanarayanan) (06/08/89)

In article <11791@duorion.cair.du.edu> bshafer@dunike.UUCP (Bob Shafer) writes:
>There is a company called DUAL that makes a UNIX box.
[ stuff deleted ]

>Bob Shafer

We still have our DUAL Systems 83/20 MC68000 S-100 based Unix box that
we got in 1982. It still works albeit slowly. At the time we got it
it was a pretty good machine. It runs V7 unix, we had System III up for
awhile but it didn't work so hot. We used it pretty heavily for a few
years before we got faster hardware. Hasn't seen much action since the
last student who ported Xinu to it graduated.

I don't know if the company is still in operation.

Arul

--
   UUCP:    ....!ucsd!sdsu!arul              work:(619) 594-7207
   ARPA:    arul%sdsu.uucp@ucsd.edu          home:(619) 583-0439

stone@nbc1.UUCP (Anthony Stone) (06/09/89)

Yes, the station where I used to work, KVUE-TV in Austin, still uses their
Dual 83/80. It's a S100-based 68000 computer with a SMD controller,
floppy controller, 1 megabytes of memory, 16 serial ports and clock card.
(I think a tape controller and ethernet card were also available.)
It's running Unisoft's System V port called Uniplus+. Dual also made
larger systems, but our SMD drive was only 80MB. For its time, the Dual
was a great product for those who wanted "real" UNIX but couldn't spend much
more than for a PC.

I saved an article posted last year by Erik Fair (Hi Erik!), who performed
assorted wizardry for Dual Systems from March '83 to June '86. Here's further
information about Dual from his posting <18758@apple.Apple.COM>.

    Ian Darwin of SoftQuad (Toronto, Canada) has a Dual, and has been
    running a mailing list of sorts for Dual owners for a few years.
    He can be reached at <ian@sq.com>. This should help in finding Dual
    owners who have reconfiguration rights.

    Well over half of the Dual computers ever sold went into the People's
    Republic of China (some apparently without proper export licenses, which
    led to the recent conviction of Dual's former president on charges of
    export regulation violations), so finding customers in the U.S. might not
    be easy.

    Sadly, Dual Systems finally closed its doors on September 1 of this
    year. [1988]
--
Anthony Stone			NBC Computer Imaging, New York, NY
stone@nbc1.ge.com		212-664-2206

root@mjbtn.MFEE.TN.US (Mark J. Bailey) (06/09/89)

In article <3833@sdsu.UUCP>, arul@sdsu.UUCP (Arul Ananthanarayanan) writes:
> In article <11791@duorion.cair.du.edu> bshafer@dunike.UUCP (Bob Shafer) writes:
> >There is a company called DUAL that makes a UNIX box.
> [ stuff deleted ]
> >
> >Bob Shafer
> >

> We still have our DUAL Systems 83/20 MC68000 S-100 based Unix box that
> [stuff deleted here also]
>
> I don't know if the company is still in operation.

A freind of mine took a job with a locak company which also had a Dual
MC68000 cpu.  It also ran Unix V7 by UniSoft (which also had some
Berkeleyisms worked in).  UniSoft is still around as he was able to
contact them over the net.  But I am afraid that we discovered Dual was
long since out of business.  It met the same fate another company
called 'Callen' did.  We finally determined that there was not much that
could be done to upgrade the box.

Mark.

--
Mark J. Bailey                                    "Ya'll com bak naw, ya hear!"
USMAIL: 511 Memorial Blvd., Murfreesboro, TN 37129 ___________________________

bshafer@udenva.cair.du.edu (Bob Shafer) (06/10/89)

I thank everyone who has replied to my original request for information.
Including a person who at one time worked at Dual and the keeper of
a mailing list for users of old Dual equipment.

The consensus appears to be that the company has gone out of business.

However, I just received sales literature from someone in Denver that
is selling stuff for Dual Systems Corporation.  It includes a phone number
if anyone is interested in verifying it's existence or not (we will either
go with a MIPS (a real nice special for the educational market this month)
or an 80386 implementation.  The phone number is (415)785-8890.

The sales literature says they are selling a box with a 68030 on a VME bus.
They also are selling their VME controllers separately.

I am not sure if this is the same company that everyone else thought was
defunct, but there does appear to be a company named Dual that sells
Unix boxes now.

bridget@unisoft.UUCP (Bridget Dobbins) (06/12/89)

In article <676@cbnewsm.ATT.COM> szirin@cbnewsm.ATT.COM (seth.zirin) writes:
>In article <11791@duorion.cair.du.edu> bshafer@dunike.UUCP (Bob Shafer) writes:
>>There is a company called DUAL that makes a UNIX box.  Has anyone ever
>>heard of them?  Is there anybody that actually has touched one?  Are
>>they any good?
>
>DUAL was one of the first (the first?) commercial 68000/UNIX\(rg boxes
>around and their v7 came from Unisoft and was called UNIPLUS+\(rg.  I
>
>A company named Megadata (Bohemia. NY) was also one of the 68000/UNIX
>pioneers and their v7 came from Unisoft as well.  Megadata's boxes
>were (are?) pretty good (I did many of the device drivers :-) ).

Dual Systems, which was founded in Berkeley, California, in the late 1970s
went bankrupt almost a year ago.  Megadata, however, is still alive and
well.

Bridget Dobbins                         UniSoft Corp.
{uunet,ucbvax,sun}!unisoft!bridget      Emeryville, CA

hjg@amms4.UUCP (Harry Gross) (06/27/89)

>>In article <11791@duorion.cair.du.edu> bshafer@dunike.UUCP (Bob Shafer) writes:
>>>There is a company called DUAL that makes a UNIX box.  Has anyone ever
>>>heard of them?  Is there anybody that actually has touched one?  Are
>>>they any good?

I had occasion to use the DUAL/Unisoft systems in the early 80's.  They were
excruciatingly slow.  I never did find out if it was the hardware or the
software.  It certainly couldn't have been the number of users, as there were
only about 6 or seven per machine :-).

In article <2080@unisoft.UUCP> bridget@unisoft.UUCP (Bridget Dobbins) writes:
>Dual Systems, which was founded in Berkeley, California, in the late 1970s
>went bankrupt almost a year ago.

If memory serves correctly, the DUAL boxes were based on the S-100 bus (from
CP/M fame) (or was it the Intel Multi-bus they used?  Now I am not sure).
This might help to explain their demise :-)

--
		Harry					 |  reserved for
							 |  something really
Internet: hjg@amms4.UUCP   (we're working on registering)|  clever - any
UUCP: {jyacc, qtny, rna, bklyncis}!amms4!hjg		 |  suggestions?