[comp.unix.questions] 4.3 Tahoe

cal@felix.UUCP (Cal J. Myers) (06/21/89)

I have 750 running 4.2 BSD.  I want ot plug in some RA82s into and come
to find out that it doesn't know about these.  I have the 4.3 source
and was going to put up 4.3 on it, but some recommending getting 4.3 tahoe.
So here is my question.  How does one go about it?  Who do you talk to?
And how much does it cost?
/cal

haynes@ucscc.UCSC.EDU (Jim Haynes) (06/23/89)

I believe you'll have to put on regular 4.3 before you can put on 4.3 tahoe.
Maybe not, but it's hard enough to get from 4.3 to 4.3tahoe when you are
on a vax.
haynes@ucscc.ucsc.edu
haynes@ucscc.bitnet
..ucbvax!ucscc!haynes

"Any clod can have the facts, but having opinions is an Art."
        Charles McCabe, San Francisco Chronicle

chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) (06/23/89)

In article <102451@felix.UUCP> cal@felix.UUCP (Cal J. Myers) writes:
>... some recommending getting 4.3 tahoe.  So here is my question.
>How does one go about it?  Who do you talk to?  And how much does it cost?

To answer this and one other question that appeared recently in this
group:

The `tahoe' in 4.3BSD-tahoe refers to a series of machines manufactured
by CCI [1], Harris [2], Sperry [3], and ICL [4] which were at some
point called `Tahoe' machines [5], in much the same way that DEC's [6]
VAX-11/780 [7], VAX-11/750 [8], and VAX-11/730 [9] are called `VAX'
machines. [10]

-----
Notes:
[1] Computer Consoles Inc., headquartered in New York state, USA, Earth,
    Sol system, Outer Spiral Arm, Milky Way galaxy, Andromeda cluster.
    I am not aware of their UniversPost zipcode polymer pattern.  The
    CCI Power-6/32 was the first Tahoe machine.
[2] The Harris HCX-7 and HCX-9 are Tahoes.  Harris is also an east coast
    manufacturer, if I recall correctly.  The HCX-9 uses a VMEbus instead
    of a VERSAbus.
[3] What Sperry's name for their Tahoe is I do not know.  Sperry is the
    name for the result of the merge of Burroughs and Sperry Univac.
    This, too, is an east cost manufacturer.
[4] I know not what ICL stands for, nor what their names may be for their
    Tahoe machines.  They are, however, a UK manufacturer.
[5] Probably named after the New York state Lake Tahoe (in the
    Adirondacks?).  Anyone at CCI who knows, please correct.
[6] DEC is a trademark of Digital Equipment Corporation, yet another east
    coast company.  Strange how all the DOD equipment manufacturers cluster
    on the left side. :-)
[7] Also known as the `Star'.
[8] The `Comet'.
[9] The `Nebula'.
[10] VAX stands for Virtual Address eXtension, according to DEC marketing
     literature (but N.B. that `marketing literature' is an oxymoron).
-----

Now, where was I... repeating the questions:

>How does one go about [getting 4.3BSD-tahoe]?

In more or less the same way one got 4.2BSD or 4.3BSD: contact
Berkeley, sign a license agreement, pay a nominal fee, and receive
a tape or three, along with many kilograms of bleached dead tree
with little black carbon markings (a.k.a. `documentation').

>Who do you talk to?

Berkeley, CSRG; Anne Hughes or Pauline Schwartz, I believe.  The
telephone number for the CSRG office is +1-415-624-4948.  To get
4.3-tahoe, you need only sign an addendum to your 4.3BSD agreement,
which was an addendum to your 4.2BSD agreement, which was fortunate
for those of us with University Lawyers.

>And how much does it cost?

That I cannot say.

You left out one question:

-What do you get on the tape(s)?

The tapes contain the full source tree [1] for both the VAX and the
Tahoe, including kernel and all user utilities.  They also have boot
images and binaries FOR THE TAHOE ONLY.  The VAX sources were not
extensively tested before cutting the master tape, and apparently there
are a few glitches.  You can expect installation to take some effort.
Keith Bostic wrote up some instructions based on reports given back to
Berkeley; I imagine these are included with current orders.  They
should help.  Keith would not be unhappy to receieve corrections (aside
from having yet another thing to do).

-----
Note:
[1] There is only a single source tree, but occasionally it takes
    machine-dependent branches, e.g., for the compilers and for
    assembly language routines.
-----

Relevant addition:
[okeeffe.berkeley.edu]
Login: bostic         			Name: Keith Bostic
Project:
	4BSD
Plan:
Address:
	Keith Bostic			+1-415-642-4948
	457 Evans Hall
	CSRG, CSD
	University of California
	Berkeley, CA  94720

	"Yo, Mike!"
	"Yeah, Gabe?"
	"We got a problem down on Earth.  In Utah."
	"I thought you fixed that last century!"
	"No, no, not that.  Someone's found a security problem in the physics
program.  They're getting energy out of nowhere."
	"Blessit!  Lemme look...  <tappity clickity tappity>  Hey, it's
there all right!  OK, just a sec...  <tappity clickity tap... save... compile>
There, that ought to patch it.  Dist it out, wouldja?"
		-- Fusion, 1989

jgd@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (John G Dobnick,EMS E380,4142295727,) (06/23/89)

[Hmmm...  "correcting" Mr. Torek.  I tread lightly.  :-) ]

From article <18238@mimsy.UUCP>, by chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek):
> In article <102451@felix.UUCP> cal@felix.UUCP (Cal J. Myers) writes:
>>... some recommending getting 4.3 tahoe.  So here is my question.
>>How does one go about it?  Who do you talk to?  And how much does it cost?
>
> The `tahoe' in 4.3BSD-tahoe refers to a series of machines manufactured
> by CCI [1], Harris [2], Sperry [3], and ICL [4] which were at some
                          ^------ now called Unisys, and I believe they
				  only OEMed the machines.
> point called `Tahoe' machines [5],...
>
> -----
> Notes:
> [3] What Sperry's name for their Tahoe is I do not know.  Sperry is the
       [7000/40.  Presumably the "Unisys 7000/40", but ours is old enough
	to still say "Sperry".]
>     name for the result of the merge of Burroughs and Sperry Univac.
       [Burroughs + Sperry => Unisys]

> [4] I know not what ICL stands for, nor what their names may be for their
       [I thought "International Computers Ltd. but my memory is foggy
       on this.  (Or is that "Computres"?]
--
John G (Long live Exec-8!) Dobnick
Computing Services Division @ University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee

"Knowing how things work is the basis for appreciation,
and is thus a source of civilized delight."  -- William Safire

heins@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu (Leeland Heins) (06/24/89)

In article <18238@mimsy.UUCP> chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) writes:
>In article <102451@felix.UUCP> cal@felix.UUCP (Cal J. Myers) writes:
>>... some recommending getting 4.3 tahoe.  So here is my question.
>>How does one go about it?  Who do you talk to?  And how much does it cost?

... much stuff deleted ...

>You left out one question:
>
>-What do you get on the tape(s)?
>
>The tapes contain the full source tree [1] for both the VAX and the
>Tahoe, including kernel and all user utilities.  They also have boot
>images and binaries FOR THE TAHOE ONLY.  The VAX sources were not
>extensively tested before cutting the master tape, and apparently there
>are a few glitches.

   I think a few things are missing (stuff that used to be in /etc that is
now supposed to be in /usr/adm/bin like adduser -- I couldn't find the source
for it on the Tahoe tapes...  I just grabbed the source I couldn't find from
our 4.3 tapes).  Going from 4.3 -> 4.3-Tahoe looks much preferable to
going from 4.2 -> 4.3-Tahoe.

>  You can expect installation to take some effort.

   I never would have guessed :-)

>Keith Bostic wrote up some instructions based on reports given back to
>Berkeley; I imagine these are included with current orders.

   We got some of this stuff mailed to us later (after we already got the
system installed though :-( but they do look like they'd help.

>Note:
>[1] There is only a single source tree, but occasionally it takes
>    machine-dependent branches, e.g., for the compilers and for
>    assembly language routines.

    Here is one of the most tricky things...  getting the link set right
so it gets MACHINE=vax and picks the right source tree for the VAX.  Once this
is done things go fairly smoothly.
   We had real fun for a while since we upgraded to 4.3-Tahoe from Ultrix 2.0
which is a DECized 4.2.  Since 4.3 didn't support the VAX 8250 we have, we
had to do the more tricky upgrade.  It _is_ possible though, but it would have
taken me considerably longer without Chris's help.

>--
>In-Real-Life: Chris Torek, Univ of MD Comp Sci Dept (+1 301 454 7163)
>Domain:	chris@mimsy.umd.edu	Path:	uunet!mimsy!chris

					Lee Heins, EXNET Programmer
					Iowa State U. Extension
					...!hplabs!hp-lsd!atanasoff!heins
					heins@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu

dik@cwi.nl (Dik T. Winter) (06/26/89)

In article <3069@csd4.milw.wisc.edu> jgd@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (John G Dobnick,EMS E380,4142295727,) writes:
 > [Hmmm...  "correcting" Mr. Torek.  I tread lightly.  :-) ]
 > > [4] I know not what ICL stands for, nor what their names may be for their
 >        [I thought "International Computers Ltd. but my memory is foggy
 >        on this.  (Or is that "Computres"?]
Certainly not "Computres".  And if memory serves me right, it is the "Clan 7".
INTERNET   : dik@cwi.nl
BITNET/EARN: dik@mcvax

rbj@dsys.ncsl.nist.gov (Root Boy Jim) (06/26/89)

? From: Chris Torek <chris@mimsy.uucp>

? [5] Probably named after the New York state Lake Tahoe (in the
?     Adirondacks?).  Anyone at CCI who knows, please correct.

Chris, you've been staring at your terminoid too long. Lake Tahoe is
on the border between Nevada and California. All your favorite stars
such as Wayne Newton and Sammy Davis Jr. entertain there. There may
actually be one in Yew Nork as well. At least you knew it was a lake :-)

BTW, I think the Unisys Tahoe's are either the 7000 or 9000 series.

? In-Real-Life: Chris Torek, Univ of MD Comp Sci Dept (+1 301 454 7163)
? Domain:	chris@mimsy.umd.edu	Path:	uunet!mimsy!chris

	Root Boy Jim is what I am
	Are you what you are or what?

dave@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (David A Rasmussen) (06/27/89)

From article <20108@adm.BRL.MIL#, by rbj@dsys.ncsl.nist.gov (Root Boy Jim):
#> From: Chris Torek <chris@mimsy.uucp> who knew it was a lake.
#BTW, I think the Unisys Tahoe's are either the 7000 or 9000 series.
#
# 	Root Boy Jim is what I am. Are you what you are or what?
Or what?

They be 7000 series beasties, which by the way have developed what appears to
be a nasty cache timing problem at various bsd sites, Milwaukee and San Diego
to name two. Of course Unisys and CCI don't support BSD even if it is a known
hardware problem. :-(

The fix is to flush the cache alot. And then they ask how the machine is
performing. :-(

Now if only we could only find a system V site with said problems...

--
Dave Rasmussen, UW Milwaukee Computing Services Division. Uucp: uwmcsd4!dave,
Inet: dave@csd4.milw.wisc.edu, Bitnet: dave%csd4.milw.wisc.edu@INTERBIT