[comp.unix.questions] Multiple cr: sequences in termcap

lars@iclswe.UUCP (Lars Tunkrans) (06/24/89)

Can anyone help me with the following problem ?

I have a terminal that has two different keys that generate two different
Esc/Ctrl-sequences, but I want a software-package to interpret both keystrokes
as Carriage Return. Is it possible and/or legal in Unix to declare two cr:
sequences in the /etc/termcap-file.

//     /////  ///     | Lars Tunkrans  Distributed Resource Systems support.
 //  ///      ///     | UUCP: {uunet,mcvax,munnari,cernvax,diku,inria,prlb2,tut
///  ///      ///     | ,ukc,unido} !sunic!iclswe!lars  Phone +46 (0)76096368
///    /////  /////// |            ( Standard Disclaimer )

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (06/28/89)

In article <194@iclswe.UUCP> lars@iclswe.UUCP (Lars Tunkrans) writes:
>I have a terminal that has two different keys that generate two different
>Esc/Ctrl-sequences, but I want a software-package to interpret both keystrokes
>as Carriage Return. Is it possible and/or legal in Unix to declare two cr:
>sequences in the /etc/termcap-file.

It's not allowed (actually, you can include multiple definitions for
the same capability, but only one will be used).

Furthermore, the "cr" string capability is the string transmitted to
your terminal in order to accomplish a carriage return; it does NOT
indicate anything at all about what your keyboard transmits when the
"RETURN" key is pressed.  There are string capabilities for a lot of
possible key sequences, but not for "RETURN".

Any such mapping will have to be specially performed by the software
package in question; there is no way to exploit termcap to obtain the
mapping automatically.