[net.cooks] How much Vitamin C is necessary.

werner@aecom.UUCP (Craig Werner) (11/10/85)

	The following situation may be instructive:
	A homeless alcoholic man is brought into the emergency room with
massive overt scurvy caused by severe malnutrition (in particular a lack
of Vitamin C)
	[Scurvy: what is it?  Vitamin C is required for the body to make
connective tissue, which holds the body together - but in particular the
blood vessels.  In Scurvy, the blood vessels all start falling apart, and
there is massive skin hemorrhage, i.e., you get touched, you bruise. There
are other symptoms, but this is the most distinctive.]

	The standard treatment is 250mg of Vitamin C for 5-10 days, which
complete improvement (cure) usually by day 5.

	This answers the question, "How much Vitamin C does the body need?"
250mg per day or 1-2g total is enough to make up for months of deficiency,
hence the answer is considerably less than this.
	So now I ask the question, "Why do people advocate megadoses of 1 to
10 grams DAILY (several months-years supply) in the absence of any real
evidence that it does any good?"

	From my point of view, the disadvantages of Vitamin C megadoses
completely outweigh any demonstrated benefit.  It is not that they are that
harmful - they aren't, but they are not totally risk-free in all people.
And that the people who are deriving the most benefit from Megadoses of
Vitamin C are the vitamin manufacturers.
	Remember - in the case of a normal drug, the manufacturer has to
prove that it is both relatively safe and effective (which means better
than doing nothing).
	In the case of so-called "Nutritional" therapies the medical
establishent is challenged to prove something DOESN'T work. I say the burden
of proof should be on the Nutritional advocates , but it isn't. Not only that,
it is totally legal to lie about the product - as long as one doesn't do it
on the label -- and Vitamins and Natural Supplements don't have labeling
requirements as pharmacy drugs do.
--

				Craig Werner
				!philabs!aecom!werner

speaker@ttidcb.UUCP (Kenneth Speaker) (11/13/85)

In article <2046@aecom.UUCP> werner@aecom.UUCP (Craig Werner) writes:

>	The following situation may be instructive:
>	A homeless alcoholic man is brought into the emergency room with
>massive overt scurvy caused by severe malnutrition (in particular a lack
>of Vitamin C)
>	[Scurvy: what is it?  Vitamin C is required for the body to make
>connective tissue, which holds the body together - but in particular the
>blood vessels.  In Scurvy, the blood vessels all start falling apart, and
>there is massive skin hemorrhage, i.e., you get touched, you bruise. There
>are other symptoms, but this is the most distinctive.]
>
>	The standard treatment is 250mg of Vitamin C for 5-10 days, which
>complete improvement (cure) usually by day 5.
>
>	This answers the question, "How much Vitamin C does the body need?"
>250mg per day or 1-2g total is enough to make up for months of deficiency,
>hence the answer is considerably less than this.
>	So now I ask the question, "Why do people advocate megadoses of 1 to
>10 grams DAILY (several months-years supply) in the absence of any real
>evidence that it does any good?"

OK, I will tell you why I take 2 grams/day.  Above you state that the
(ONLY?) use of ascorbates by the body in is the production of collogen and
connective tissue.  Are you sure?  Funny, I thought it had a variety of
other uses, including but not limited to being a general anti-oxidant.  The
level of C of the USRDA does indeed inhibit scurvy.  But...

Man is one of the few animals which does not manufacture his own vitamin
C.  Aparently this gene was lost very recently in evolutionary history.
If you measure the ascorbate levels of other mammals which do produce
endogenous C, and extrapolate to determine what is needed in the 165 lb
man to produce similar levels (not just serum, but leucocyte levels),
it comes to between 1-3 grams (depending upon the animal analysed).  In
addition, making some educated guesses at the foodstuffs eaten by earlier
hunter/gatherer man and estimating his caloric requirement at somewhat
greater than modern sedentary man (about 4000 calories), then calculating
the C which might have been ingested to acquire this caloric input, the
numbers show about the same thing.  (These data came from various papers
and books by the advocate, L. Pauling, so you are free to condem them....)

I do know that after taking 2 grams/day C (plus 250 mg/day of BHT) for approx-
imately 8 years, you cannot recognize me from my old photographs.  I have
the skin of a person 10 years younger than my actual age (37), plus a
variety of other subtle differences.

The "trouble" with AMA-type medicine (PERSONAL OPINION) is that it looks
for immediate and dramatic results, or something is of no use.  Your example
used the timeframe of 5-10 days.  You (the plural) never look for effects
which build over 5-10 years.  Perhaps because funding research for that
length of time is impractical....

I consider myself a skeptical holist (?), i.e., when I have a sore throat,
I want ampicillin FAST.  When I got an abdominal pain, with acute rebound
response, I went to the emergency room, FAST.  But I also believe that I
can do something to LESSEN the number of times I need to see a physician.
I do not have to stick my head in the ground and say that whatever happens,
a physician will be able to correct the damage already done.  I don't
smoke (as you do not smoke) because I believe in preventive medicine.  I
take Vit-C (as apparently you do not) also because I believe in preventive
medicine, and have sufficient evidence to believe that it probably is doing
me some good.

I will also admit that I undoubtedly do some things which do me no good.
These only cost me money and perhaps some time.

I will also admit that I possibly do some things which (on the whole) cause
me some harm.

I continue to read and re-evaluate what I do.  If I find that something
is not (or could not possibly) do me any good, that supplement or activity
is terminated.  If I find that new data (personal or published) shows
harm in what I am doing, that supplement or activity is terminated.
I have $300 worth of blood tests done every six months so I know what
Isoprinosine does, what Co-Q10 does, that BHT is having no harmful hepatic
effects, etc.

I do not advocate the blind use of supplements.  Much of the dogma one
finds in vitamin shops and health food stores is misleading or out-and-out
wrong (SOD supplementation comes to mind).  If a person is not willing to
spend a significant amount of time critically reading and searching the
literature, I am not sure if the hit-and-miss of what they are doing will
be better than doing nothing.  However, there ARE data out there, and more
is published daily.

--Kne

atkins@opus.UUCP (Brian Atkins) (11/15/85)

	I had a soccer coach in high school that had us take 3g of vitamin C
a day. This was to reduce the chances of getting bruises and charlie-horses.
Does such a megadose defend against bruising and charlie-horses?

	One of the bad side effects was that it gave us all a mild case of
the runs; the more V-C, the more you run.

Brian Atkins   ...{attunix, hao, allegra, ucbvax}!nbires!atkins
NBI Inc., P.O. Box 9001, Boulder CO 80301	(303) 444-5710

ed@gargoyle.UUCP (Ed Friedman) (11/15/85)

The question is not how much Vitamin C does someone need, but rather how much
Vitamin C produces optimal results.  To answer this question, you might want
to read an article published in the early 1970's in PNAS.  In this article,
scientists described how the punched holes in the backs of guinea pigs using
a paper punch, and then correlated healing time with the dosage of Vitamin C
given.  They found that increasing the amount of Vitamin C given, hastened
the healing time up to a certain limit.  Any more Vitamin C given above this
limit seemed to cause no further improvement.  The scientists tried to estimate
what this maximum dosage would be in humans (using standard methods to
extrapolate from the body weights and dosages in the test animals) and came
up with a figure of 1500mg per day.  Of course this figure has no meaning
unless one assumes that experiments carried out on guinea pigs may have
some validity to human beings.

mwg@petrus.UUCP (Mark Garrett) (11/18/85)

++
> 	This answers the question, "How much Vitamin C does the body need?"
> 250mg per day or 1-2g total is enough to make up for months of deficiency,
> hence the answer is considerably less than this.
> 				Craig Werner

I only saw Pauling speak on this once (on TV), but I remember him
responding to this objection by saying that perhaps the body needs
more vitamin C than is necessary to simply prevent scurvy.  When I
heard this, I tried to be open-minded about his theory.  It makes sense
that perhaps the body can perform certain things better with increasing
levels of vitamin C (to a point perhaps).  On the other hand, Pauling was
claiming all kinds of wild things this stuff could do, and I think some
skepticism should be in order.

I was reluctant to take huge amounts of C (ie more pills than breakfast),
but I did try 500 to 1000 mg a day for a whole winter, and found that I
didn't get any colds, even under severe pressure at school, when I would
usually get 4 or 5 in a season.  I think it worked for me.

Craig, have there been any conclusive or indicative results showing that
vitamin C is useful for more than prevention of scurvy?  Or do you think
there is really no benifit from doses beyond the RDA?

-Mark Garrett

ugzannin@sunybcs.UUCP (Adrian Zannin) (12/06/85)

> ++
> > 	This answers the question, "How much Vitamin C does the body need?"
> > 250mg per day or 1-2g total is enough to make up for months of deficiency,
> > hence the answer is considerably less than this.
> > 				Craig Werner
>
> Craig, have there been any conclusive or indicative results showing that
> vitamin C is useful for more than prevention of scurvy?  Or do you think
> there is really no benifit from doses beyond the RDA?
>
> -Mark Garrett

  I would like to caution you against taking too much vitamin C.  I had a
discussion about this with my doctor, and later on my sister, who is in the
medical profession, and it seems that taking above the RDA of vitamin C for
extended periods of time (also for many short periods) can lead to quite
complicated kidney problems.  This goes for other some other vitamins also,
but I don't remember which ones off hand.  If there is interest though, I
will look into it.
   Has anyone else heard of this?  I don't doubt what my doctor said, I just
want to see if many people know about this hazard.

--
     Adrian Zannin
..{bbncca,decvax,dual,rocksvax,watmath,sbcs}!sunybcs!ugzannin