[net.cooks] What's it called?

burden@cheers.DEC (Dave Burden -- 381-2559) (11/05/85)

In June we took a trip up to Nova Scotia and spent it in and around
Bridgewater.  One lunchtime we stopped into a local pizza place and ordered
what appeared to be a local favorite.  The filling was chucks of meat and
tomatoes with a mild sauce all wrapped up in a thin layer of bread.  My wife
said it resembled gyros she had in the Washington DC area.  We have forgotten
what they were called in Nova Scotia.  Does anyone know the name of them?

Dave Burden		decvax!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-cheers!burden
603-881-2559		Nashua, NH
			42 42' 48.8'' N
			71 27' 23.7'' W

tjsmedley@watmum.UUCP (Trevor J. Smedley) (11/08/85)

In article <1250@decwrl.UUCP> burden@cheers.DEC (Dave Burden -- 381-2559) writes

>In June we took a trip up to Nova Scotia and spent it in and around
>Bridgewater.  One lunchtime we stopped into a local pizza place and ordered
>what appeared to be a local favorite.  The filling was chucks of meat and
>tomatoes with a mild sauce all wrapped up in a thin layer of bread.  My wife
>said it resembled gyros she had in the Washington DC area.  We have forgotten
>what they were called in Nova Scotia.  Does anyone know the name of them?

Being from Nova Scotia, I expect that what you ate were Donairs. They
are very popular around there, and unfortunately they are not so
popular anywhere else that I've been. They also go by the name Gyros
some places. The chunks of meat are generally some sort of spiced
ground beef, and the thin bread is usually a pita, or we used to call
it Lebanese bread (I don't know how accurate any of these names are,
but that's what we called them). The sauce is not always mild. The
best ones that I've ever had definitely did not fit the descirpition
mild.

Trevor J. Smedley                    University of Waterloo

{decvax,allegra,ihnp4,clyde,utzoo}!watmum!tjsmedley

strickln@ihlpa.UUCP (stricklen) (11/09/85)

> In June we took a trip up to Nova Scotia and spent it in and around
> Bridgewater.  One lunchtime we stopped into a local pizza place and ordered
> what appeared to be a local favorite.  The filling was chucks of meat and
> tomatoes with a mild sauce all wrapped up in a thin layer of bread.  My wife
> said it resembled gyros she had in the Washington DC area.  We have forgotten
> what they were called in Nova Scotia.  Does anyone know the name of them?

Sounds like calzone.

Steve Stricklen
AT&T Bell Laboratories
ihnp4!ihlpa!strickln

booter@lll-crg.ARpA (Elaine Richards) (11/10/85)

In article <1250@decwrl.UUCP> burden@cheers.DEC (Dave Burden -- 381-2559) writes:

>In June we took a trip up to Nova Scotia and spent it in and around
>Bridgewater.  One lunchtime we stopped into a local pizza place and ordered
>what appeared to be a local favorite.  The filling was chucks of meat and
>tomatoes with a mild sauce all wrapped up in a thin layer of bread.  My wife
>said it resembled gyros she had in the Washington DC area.  We have forgotten
>what they were called in Nova Scotia.  Does anyone know the name of them?
>
>Dave Burden		decvax!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-cheers!burden

Sounds like calzone. A pizza that got folded.

*****

PS pronounced calzon, not calzonie

tjsmedley@watmum.UUCP (Trevor J. Smedley) (11/10/85)

In article <980@lll-crg.ARpA> booter@lll-crg.UUCP (Elaine Richards) writes:
>In article <1250@decwrl.UUCP> burden@cheers.DEC (Dave Burden -- 381-2559) writes:
>>
>>In June we took a trip up to Nova Scotia and spent it in and around
>>Bridgewater.  One lunchtime we stopped into a local pizza place and ordered
>>what appeared to be a local favorite.  The filling was chucks of meat and
>>tomatoes with a mild sauce all wrapped up in a thin layer of bread.  My wife
>>said it resembled gyros she had in the Washington DC area.  We have forgotten
>>what they were called in Nova Scotia.  Does anyone know the name of them?
>>
>>Dave Burden		decvax!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-cheers!burden
>
>Sounds like calzone. A pizza that got folded.

>*****
>
>PS pronounced calzon, not calzonie

I sincerely doubt that it was a calzone. I've eaten many of these as
well, but I'd never consider them a local favourite anywhere in Nova
Scotia. They are definietly Donairs (pronounced like they're spelled).
I've also seen them under the name Gyros. I can see the similarities
in a written descripition, but see one or eat one and you'll know that
they aren't the same. A calzone is sealed. A donair isn't. Also, there
usually isn't any cheese in a donair, although I have seen them with
cheese and pepperoni (yuk).

Trevor J. Smedley                    University of Waterloo

{decvax,allegra,ihnp4,clyde,utzoo}!watmum!tjsmedley

krossen@bbncca.ARPA (Ken Rossen) (11/11/85)

I've always understood authentic gyros to be fresh grilled pita bread
wrapped around slices of spicy lamb (usually beef, too) with onions,
tomatoes and a yogurt sauce (sometimes the yogurt-cucumber sauce ... what's
that called, sageki?).  If you are Greek and know better, please correct me.

I don't understand, however, what the difference is between gyros and the
identical sandwich I thrived on in teenage years, souvlaki.  What IS the
difference between gyros and souvlaki?
--
Ken Rossen	...!{decvax,ihnp4,ima,linus,harvard,seismo}!bbncca!krossen
--- or ---	krossen@bbnccp.arpa

ray@utcsri.UUCP (Raymond Allen) (11/12/85)

In article <324@watmum.UUCP> tjsmedley@watmum.UUCP (Trevor J. Smedley) writes:
>In article <1250@decwrl.UUCP> burden@cheers.DEC (Dave Burden -- 381-2559) writes
>>
>>In June we took a trip up to Nova Scotia and spent it in and around
>>Bridgewater.  One lunchtime we stopped into a local pizza place and ordered
>>what appeared to be a local favorite.  The filling was chucks of meat and
>>tomatoes with a mild sauce all wrapped up in a thin layer of bread.
>>
>Being from Nova Scotia, I expect that what you ate were Donairs. They
>are very popular around there, and unfortunately they are not so
>popular anywhere else that I've been. They also go by the name Gyros
>some places.
>Trevor J. Smedley                    University of Waterloo

Here, in Toronto it is called a Gyros.  Apparently, according to advertising,
they originated in Chicago.  In Montreal it is called a "Doner" and usually
is served as described above with onions added.  Montrealers call it a
Souvlaki, but I think that that is a misnomer.

By the way, the "thin layer of bread" is actually called Pita bread
(or Middle East Bread in some parts).

				Ray Allen
				utcsri!ray

lamy@utai.UUCP (Jean-Francois Lamy) (11/12/85)

Depending on where in Montreal you order it you will have to ask for
it with a different name!  The following are not definitions, but the
result of inductive learning that allowed me to get about what I wanted
most of the time :-)

Souvlaki:         meat grilled on a stick
Souflaki in pita: as described in first message, but with (strong) onions.
Doner:            same as souflaki in pita, but the meat (sometimes lamb)
                  is cut from a big roasted piece of meat
Shawarma:         Same as doner, lebanese style (the first "a" is silent).
                  Sometimes, however, served on a plate instead of in a pita

Pita is the greek name for what is otherwise know as syrian or lebanese
bread. It is a round bread cooked without whey, which forms a pouch when
opened at one end, and can be stuffed with rice and chicken or tuna chunks
to introduce variety in your sandwich diet.

--

Jean-Francois Lamy
Department of Computer Science, University of Toronto,

CSNet:      lamy@toronto.csnet
UUCP:       {utzoo,ihnp4,decwrl,uw-beaver}!utcsri!utai!lamy
CDN:        lamy@iro.udem.cdn (lamy%iro.udem.cdn@ubc.csnet)

sands@usiv03.DEC (11/14/85)

Concerning gyros and souvlaki. As far as I can make out the souvlaki is
made from lamb and the gyro is beef.

                                            /l. sands/
                                       DEC Irvine, Ca.
(DEC E-NET) ROLL::FEATHERSTON
(UUCP) {decvax,ucbvax,allegra}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-roll!featherston
(ARPA) featherston%roll.DEC@decwrl.ARPA

suze@terak.UUCP (Suzanne Barnett) (11/18/85)

> Concerning gyros and souvlaki. As far as I can make out the souvlaki is
> made from lamb and the gyro is beef.

Around here gyros are a pita made with lamb or goat, onions
and sour cream.

The souvlaki I am familiar with is nothing like a gyro, but is
a type of shish kebab, made with lamb.
Suzanne Barnett-Scott

uucp:	 ...{decvax,ihnp4,noao,savax,seismo}!terak!suze
phone:	 (602) 998-4800
us mail: CalComp/Sanders Display Products Division
	 (Formerly Terak Corporation)
	 14151 N 76th street, Scottsdale, AZ 85260

amcy@adelie.UUCP (Anthony Yeracaris) (12/04/85)

Actually,  Gyro  is  a  generic  name  for lamb or beef slow-cooked on a
rotating  spindle.   Hence  the  name  "Gyro"  (consider   "gyroscope").
"Souvlaki"  can  be  best  described as Greek shiskebob, and always with
lamb.  A "Souvlaki sandwich" is a Souvlaki removed from the  skewer  and
stuffed in pita with salad.
--
LIVE:	Anthony M. C. Yeracaris, (617) 965-8480 x16
USPS:	Adelie Corporation, 288 Walnut St., Newtonville, MA  02160

amp@ada-uts.UUCP (12/10/85)

     I have just returned from Greece where Souvlaki was most often
made with veal.