[comp.unix.questions] how to set number of lines

max@jma.UUCP (Max Heffler @ Landmark Graphics) (06/26/89)

I use X on many platforms, where the number of lines seems to default
to 65 regardless of the size of the window I use.  tput shows this number
and vi :set all shows the window size similarly.  How does one set the
appropraite number of lines (I know in vi I can :set window).
pg even has problems.  The only solution I have found is to set TERM to
vt100 which seems to set 24 lines, which I can live with, even if my
window is larger.  Any ideas?

Thanx in advance...

--
Max Heffler                     uucp: ..!uunet!jma!max
Landmark Graphics Corp.         phone: (713) 579-4751

stripes@wam.UMD.EDU (06/28/89)

In article <163@jma.UUCP> max@jma.UUCP (Max Heffler @ Landmark Graphics) writes:
>I use X on many platforms, where the number of lines seems to default
>to 65 regardless of the size of the window I use.  tput shows this number
[stuff removed]
>--
>Max Heffler                     uucp: ..!uunet!jma!max
>Landmark Graphics Corp.         phone: (713) 579-4751
>333 Cypress Run, Suite 100
>Houston, Texas  77094
I use the csh alias:
xs	set noglob; eval `resize`

I'm assumeing that it's the same resize that comes with xterm.
Executeing this will query the xterm for it's current size and stuff
it back into the TERMCAP variable, it works here under Ultrix.
--
           stripes@wam.umd.edu          "Security for Unix is like
      Josh_Osborne@Real_World,The          Mutitasking for MS-DOS"

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (06/28/89)

In article <163@jma.UUCP> max@jma.UUCP (Max Heffler @ Landmark Graphics) writes:
>I use X on many platforms, where the number of lines seems to default
>to 65 regardless of the size of the window I use.

The X window manager should tell the terminal handler for each window
what the window size is, and software such as "vi" should use that
information instead of what is specified in the termcap or terminfo
description.

carroll@s.cs.uiuc.edu (06/28/89)

/* Written  6:47 pm  Jun 27, 1989 by stripes@wam.UMD.EDU in s.cs.uiuc.edu:comp.unix.questions */
In article <163@jma.UUCP> max@jma.UUCP (Max Heffler @ Landmark Graphics) writes:
>I use X on many platforms, where the number of lines seems to default
>to 65 regardless of the size of the window I use.  tput shows this number
[stuff removed]
>I use the csh alias:
>xs	set noglob; eval `resize`
/* End of text from s.cs.uiuc.edu:comp.unix.questions */

What do you do for rlogins to systems without any X-windows support on them?

Alan M. Carroll                "And there you are
carroll@s.cs.uiuc.edu           Saying 'We have the Moon, so now the Stars...'"
CS Grad / U of Ill @ Urbana    ...{ucbvax,pur-ee,convex}!s.cs.uiuc.edu!carroll

irf@kuling.UUCP (Bo Thide') (07/02/89)

In article <216000017@s.cs.uiuc.edu> carroll@s.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

>In article <163@jma.UUCP> max@jma.UUCP(Max Heffler @ Landmark Graphics) writes:
>>xs	set noglob; eval `resize`
>What do you do for rlogins to systems without any X-windows support on them?

The "eval `resize`" works in any environment, not just for X.  For logins
on a GraphOn-250 with 25 screen lines I have added "export LINES=25" in my
profile (I use ksh).  This command can, of course, be executed at any time for
any value of LINES.  The same goes for COLUMNS.

The above works for HP-UX and probably for Sys V.  I am not sure whether
BSD supports LINES and COLUMNS.

carroll@s.cs.uiuc.edu (07/12/89)

/* Written  3:25 am  Jul  2, 1989 by irf@kuling.UUCP in s.cs.uiuc.edu:comp.unix.questions */
/* ---------- "Re: how to set number of lines" ---------- */
In article <216000017@s.cs.uiuc.edu> carroll@s.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

>In article <163@jma.UUCP> max@jma.UUCP(Max Heffler @ Landmark Graphics) writes:
>>xs	set noglob; eval `resize`
>What do you do for rlogins to systems without any X-windows support on them?

[1] The "eval `resize`" works in any environment, not just for X.
[ ... ]
[2] I am not sure whether BSD supports LINES and COLUMNS.
/* End of text from s.cs.uiuc.edu:comp.unix.questions */

1. No X-windows -> no resize command -> eval `resize` ->
   eval resize: command not found -> failure.

2. The BSD I work on does _not_ support LINES and COLUMNS, as I found out to
   my dismay when they first moved me here. (4.3BSD on a Vax-780). I don't think
   SunOS does either.

Alan M. Carroll                "Oh goody, the Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space
carroll@s.cs.uiuc.edu           Modulator!"
CS Grad / U of Ill @ Urbana    ...{ucbvax,pur-ee,convex}!s.cs.uiuc.edu!carroll

>The above works for HP-UX and probably for Sys V.  I am not sure whether
>BSD supports LINES and COLUMNS.

It doesn't, but in 4.3BSD and later, it doesn't need to; there's an
"ioctl" that programs use to get the size of the display, and both
"rlogin" and "xterm" are supposed to use another "ioctl" to set the tty
driver's notion of the size (it works fine on the machines I've used).
The "curses" library uses that "ioctl", so if it yields non-zero sizes
they override whatever is in the "termcap" entry; the "termcap" library
doesn't, though, so programs have to do it themselves (although on SunOS
the "termcap" library *does* use it so programs shouldn't have to do it
themselves).  "vi" is one program that does it itself.

LINES and COLUMNS are in the S5 "curses"/"terminfo" library; I presume
said library will be updated in S5R4 to support the aforementioned
"ioctl" (since S5R4 will support it).

 >1. No X-windows -> no resize command -> eval `resize` ->
 >   eval resize: command not found -> failure.
 >
 >2. The BSD I work on does _not_ support LINES and COLUMNS, as I found out to
 >   my dismay when they first moved me here. (4.3BSD on a Vax-780). I don't
 >   think SunOS does either.

The S5-environment "curses"/"terminfo" under SunOS does, but the
BSD-environment "termcap" doesn't and neither does "vi".

However, under most BSD-flavored systems (at least 4.3-based ones and
4.2-based ones that have picked up the TIOC[GS]WINSZ "ioctl"s),

	stty rows <# of rows> cols <# of columns>

should work (it may not be documented under SunOS prior to 4.0, but as I
remember it was there since 3.2).

S5-flavored systems (at least S5R2-or-later based ones) should have
LINES and COLUMNS; with any luck, future S5-flavored systems such as
S5R4, and possibly even some present S5-flavored systems, support or
will support the "ioctl"s mentioned above, as well as "stty rows
<# rows> cols <# columns>".

In any case, rewhacking the TERMCAP environment variable, as I think
"resize" does, is basically a kludge to get around the lack of the
aforementioned "ioctl"s and/or LINES/COLUMNS environment variables.