[comp.unix.questions] strange errors in LOGFILE

barton@holston.UUCP (barton) (07/16/89)

When connecting with a local system for news/mail exchange,
strange errors appear in the logfile on our system, they
include BAD READ (expected '), CAUGHT (SIGNAL 1), and less
frequently LOST LINE.

Our documentaton is scant to say the least and no help at all.
We're running SCO 2.2, the modem on my end is a hayes compatable
2400 (Packard Bell Cheapie).

Is it the modem's incompatability or are our uucico's not talking
the same language? Any other suggestions, thoughts comments?
All appreciated.

--
Barton A. Fisk          | UUCP: {attctc,texbell,vector}!warble!holston!barton
PO Box 1781             | DOMAIN: barton@holston

csg@pyramid.pyramid.com (Carl S. Gutekunst) (07/17/89)

In article <427@holston.UUCP> barton@holston.UUCP (barton) writes:
>When connecting with a local system for news/mail exchange, strange errors
>appear in the logfile on our system, they include BAD READ (expected '),
>CAUGHT (SIGNAL 1), and less frequently LOST LINE.

BAD READ can occur any time after protocol startup; CAUGHT (SIGNAL 1) usually
happens only when someone dials in to you; LOST LINE usually happens when you
dial in to someone else. The cause of the latter two is the same: the modems
are hanging up in the middle of the connection. This could be attributed to
really bad phone lines, an intermittent (broken) RS-232 cable between your
modem and the serial port on your machine, or a weak/dying modem.

The BAD READ is probably also modem trouble, on the face of the evidence.

<csg>