[comp.unix.questions] chown

chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) (07/06/89)

In article <4884@ficc.uu.net> peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
>I certainly hope that V.4 doesn't have this *bogus* restriction.

The restriction is not bogus, because the system supports disk quotas.
If you could give away your own files, you could:

	mkdir .hide; chmod 700 .hide
	chdir .hide
	create_huge_file >foo
	chown prof1 foo
	create_huge_file >bar
	chown prof2 bar
	create_huge_file >baz
	chown prof3 baz

All you need do is find someone with a high quota or no quota (such
as a professor) who does not often check his own usage (such as a
professor) and probably does not care that the disk is 99% full (such
as a, er, well, never mind :-) ), and then give away files as necessary
to keep under your own quota.  You can regain ownership of the file by
copying it to another disk partition, removing the original, and copying
it back.

bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (RAMontante) (07/06/89)

->>... BSD allows only root to change file ownership.
-
->I certainly hope that V.4 doesn't have this *bogus* restriction.
-
chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) <18414@mimsy.UUCP> :
-The restriction is not bogus, because the system supports disk quotas.
-	[ . . . ]
-All you need do is find someone with a high quota or no quota (such
-as a professor) who does not often check his own usage (such as a
-professor) and probably does not care that the disk is 99% full (such

There are also many potential problems from hostile users (generally
undergraduates) --- consuming someone else's quota can break their
running program, make them miss an assignment deadline, etc.  Putting
obscene or incriminating material in someone else's file system and then
"turning them in" can do some real *major* damage.

Hope I haven't inspired anyone with this...but hey, I prefer BSD anyway.

In article <18414@mimsy.UUCP>, chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) writes:
> The restriction is not bogus, because the system supports disk quotas.

This assume that disk quotas are not bogus in a production environment.
That is, outside a university... anyway, I'll rephrase my comment:

I certainly hope that V.4 does not impose this bogus restriction if you
choose to not make use of disk quotas. I also hope that V.4 doesn't enforce
the other bogus restrictions I remember from my years at Berkeley.

They didn't call it the "fascist file system" for nothing.

[ Pardon my language, but I just saw Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure ]
Business: peter@ficc.uu.net, +1 713 274 5180. | "Bad K&R! Bad!"
Personal: peter@sugar.hackercorp.com.   `-_-' |   -- C. Harald Koch
Quote: Have you hugged your wolf today?  'U`  |       (chk@dciem.dnd.ca)

urban@randvax.UUCP (Mike Urban) (07/06/89)

In article <22969@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (RAMontante) writes:
>->>... BSD allows only root to change file ownership.  (bogus?)
>-
>There are also many potential problems from hostile users (generally
>undergraduates) --- consuming someone else's quota can break their
>running program, make them miss an assignment deadline, etc.  Putting
>obscene or incriminating material in someone else's file system and then
>"turning them in" can do some real *major* damage.

There are also many installations that attempt to do cost recovery (or
some bureaucratic imitation thereof) by charging users for disk space.
Allowing users to give away their large and expensive files to other
accounts complicates matters considerably.

Not knowing about SysV's ability to give away files can lead to
unpleasant surprises on some machines when creating a directory
using  tar  and discovering that the resulting files belong to
someone else.

--

	Mike Urban
	urban@rand.ORG

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (07/07/89)

In article <18414@mimsy.UUCP> chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) writes:
>>In article <8072@bsu-cs.bsu.edu> dhesi@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Rahul Dhesi) writes:
>>>... BSD allows only root to change file ownership.
>In article <4884@ficc.uu.net> peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
>>I certainly hope that V.4 doesn't have this *bogus* restriction.
>The restriction is not bogus, because the system supports disk quotas.

So now the issue becomes:  Is the BSD disk quota system bogus?
Having had it break things I was doing, I hollered loudly enough
that the system administrator who had decided to give me a finite
quota changed it back to infinite.  Not only does an enforced
quota suffer from the same problems as the System V "ulimit", but
messages generated by the system to the "appropriate" interactive
terminal to warn you that you're approaching your quota can cause
all sorts of damage, especially if your "terminal" is a
communication channel, not a human-oriented device.  (5620 DMD or
630 MTG users should recognize the problem.)

There seem to me to be two valid services that can be performed
by a disk "quota" system.  One of them is to prevent runaway disk
consumption such as
	cat x >> x
and the other is to keep users from accumulating junk that fills
the available disk.  The first problem is dealt with adequately
by a resource limit mechanism a la ulimit, or more reliably by a
"dynamic" quota monitor attached to the specific session.  The
second problem can be dealt with administratively, with periodic
use of "du|sort -rn" to find where the problems are.  Realistic
long-term storage quotas really have to be negotiated between the
users and the system administrator anyway.  These methods of
providing disk quota services do not encounter the scenario that
you described for the UID-based quota scheme when the file owner
is allowed to chown his own file.

Most of my use of "su" on our BSD-based systems is simply to chown
files.  That is indicative of a serious deficiency in normal user
services on these systems.  I would install a set-UID 0 "chown"
(with appropriate checks) except for the hassle I'd get from the
system admins around here.

wjc@ho5cad.ATT.COM (Bill Carpenter) (07/09/89)

In article <10501@smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) writes:
> So now the issue becomes:  Is the BSD disk quota system bogus?
> second problem can be dealt with administratively, with periodic
> use of "du|sort -rn" to find where the problems are.  Realistic
> long-term storage quotas really have to be negotiated between the
> users and the system administrator anyway.  These methods of
> providing disk quota services do not encounter the scenario that
> you described for the UID-based quota scheme when the file owner
> is allowed to chown his own file.

My guess is that the reason that quotas are not handled
administratively is because it is too much hassle for some people.
Far be it from me to judge whether automating penalites is justified
on somebody else's system.

However, if I were building a tool to count up how much disk was being
used by various parties, I might just make the owner of a directory
the responsible person for all the blocks in the normal files
immediately under it.  Sure, some people leave directories open to
being filled up by sneaky people who want to evade disk quotas, but at
least my scheme would make the directory owner a co-conspirator.

Losing chown to get disk quotas seems about as wise as having an
imposed low ulimit.
--
   Bill Carpenter         att!ho5cad!wjc  or  attmail!bill

bzs@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Barry Shein) (07/09/89)

From: gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn)
>There seem to me to be two valid services that can be performed
>by a disk "quota" system.  One of them is to prevent runaway disk
>consumption such as
>	cat x >> x
>and the other is to keep users from accumulating junk that fills
>the available disk.  The first problem is dealt with adequately
>by a resource limit mechanism a la ulimit, or more reliably by a
>"dynamic" quota monitor attached to the specific session.  The
>second problem can be dealt with administratively, with periodic
>use of "du|sort -rn" to find where the problems are.  Realistic
>long-term storage quotas really have to be negotiated between the
>users and the system administrator anyway.  These methods of
>providing disk quota services do not encounter the scenario that
>you described for the UID-based quota scheme when the file owner
>is allowed to chown his own file.

No, it can't be dealt with with "du|sort -rn" except on very small
systems where you can probably just say "someone's hogging the disk"
loudly and get the same effect, cause everyone's in the same room
anyhow (ok, I exaggerate, but small systems with perhaps a hundred or
two entries in the password file.) Or, of course, where you charge
hard currency for disk space so the system has built-in feedback which
makes such problems relatively rare (on one system like that at
Harvard I was the "disk hog", but my funds solved the problem simply
enough, they bought me my own washing machine, no tears.)

Consider the system Rob Pike was describing in his recent USENIX talk.
One major component was a large, organization-wide file server. This
is the type of system that easily has tens of thousands of accounts
(that's not unusual, I worked with a non-unix system over the last few
years that had over 15,000 login accounts in the password file.)

You can have dozens if not hundreds of people using more than what was
decided was their fair share of disk every day. So you run this script
and send them mail. So what? So twenty of them went over their fair
share and won't be back for weeks to see your mail (negligently or
otherwise, they may have thought they had a good reason to do whatever
they did) are way over quota and the disk is busting at the seams on
some partitions. Another ten are ignoring you.

Don't tell me, you start moving some of their stuff off to tape. Oh
what fun, let's have about two dozen people to run this system just to
handle sending and answering disk quota mail, putting things to tape,
dealing with irate users who find they were put to tape and are quite
sure you are mistaken and have inconvenienced them (or believe they
can play the political game to make you never do that to them again),
get the stuff off tape, deal with people who are quite sure something
has gone wrong in this restoral not to mention a phone call or two
about how it took so damn long and they now have a dozen people idle
which is costing them about a thousand dollars an hour while you deal
with the others who are being difficult (ie. human), etc etc etc.

Sh*t Doug, I'd own your whole disk farm just by making you do things
by written, signed memo. You'd spend your weekends proposing budgets
for another dozen secretaries.

Obviously little systems don't need quotas very badly (tho, hey, they
solve both problems you describe with one model, why introduce two
systems where one will do?)

The correct answer is that if you personally shouldn't be constrained
to quotas either you should have infinite quotas or access to some
(set[gu]id) program which lets you set your own quotas (so problem #1,
the accidental overrun is still averted, if desirable.)

Disk is a finite, valuable resource. Many organizations must manage
their disk with many users from diverse administrative domains, and
manage it without any realistic chargeback scheme (ie. the disk is
essentially or actually free* as far as any individual user is
concerned.) The simplest, most obvious way to do this is to assign
disk quotas and have the software enforce these quotas automatically
instead of turning some poor sap into your local disk slave heavy.

My suspicion is you've never managed large systems like this or you
wouldn't even dream of suggesting to just send mail to offenders. And
they're not rare (hint: just about every university has at least one,
if not a few dozen, such systems.)

--------------------

* In fact it's often worse than "free" since the disk is being paid
for out of overhead by everyone so anything you can grab for yourself
is a boon to you, kinda like taxes, you actually can win as long as
you're getting more than your fair share and someone else isn't.
Sorry, but that's life, you don't fix it by removing quotas.
--
	-Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die, Purveyors to the Trade
1330 Beacon Street, Brookline, MA 02146, (617) 739-0202
Internet: bzs@skuld.std.com
UUCP:     encore!xylogics!skuld!bzs or uunet!skuld!bzs

In article <34422@bu-cs.BU.EDU>, bzs@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Barry Shein) writes:
> Don't tell me, you start moving some of their stuff off to tape. Oh
> what fun, let's have about two dozen people to run this system just to
> handle [ a bunch of stuff that can be handled quite well by 20 lines of
	   shell scripts ]

[ comments to the effect that saving hoggy users stuff off to tape isn't
  workable -- politics, etc... ]

Have a look at mainframes, where you generally have lots of disk farms.
They have automatic mechanisms to roll stuff off to tape, and bring it back.
If it's handled automatically (i.e., they can't dump on a tech aide for
following orders), then politics isn't any more a problem than with quotas.

This works a *lot* better.

> Obviously little systems don't need quotas very badly (tho, hey, they
> solve both problems you describe with one model, why introduce two
> systems where one will do?)

And big systems need better mechanisms than quotas.
Business: peter@ficc.uu.net, +1 713 274 5180. | "try out a seldom-used feature
Personal: peter@sugar.hackercorp.com.   `-_-' |  of C -- the ``comment''."
Quote: Have you hugged your wolf today?  'U`  |   -- David Gelhar.

uri@arnor.UUCP (Uri Blumenthal) (07/11/89)

From article <WJC.89Jul9124425@ho5cad.ho5cad.ATT.COM>, by wjc@ho5cad.ATT.COM (Bill Carpenter):
> Sure, some people leave directories open to
> being filled up by sneaky people who want to evade disk quotas, but at
> least my scheme would make the directory owner a co-conspirator.
>
> Losing chown to get disk quotas seems about as wise as having an
> imposed low ulimit.

Agreed. The same approach I'm using on my systems. So far it works (:-).

Uri.

cudcv@warwick.ac.uk (Rob McMahon) (07/11/89)

In article <10501@smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn@brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>So now the issue becomes: Is the BSD disk quota system bogus?  ...  an
>enforced quota suffer[s] from the same problems as the System V "ulimit" ...

Absolutely not.  There is no way we could survive without quotas, although I'm
sure there are environments that do not need them.  We are a University with
typically 2,500-3,000 students and staff registered on our Unix machines, and
a constant shortage of disk space, cpu power, and terminal access.

We have run systems without quotas (4.1bsd and old NFS systems), 1) by
politely mailing the big users, 2) by putting a `top 25 bad guys' in message
of the day to try to shame people, and 3) by running scripts over night to
place people who are over quota in a restricted shell where they couldn't do
much more than remove files.  1) is a major load on our time, and doesn't work
to any significant extent, or at least not without a lot more work and
threats, and generally making ourselves unpopular.  2) has no affect at all to
speak of.  3) is extremely unpleasant for the users.

Quotas win hands down, particulary the Sun/NFS version where you are given a
time limit rather than n logins, both in terms of administration for us, and
`niceness' for the users (they get polite warnings as soon as they go over,
they're given a week to tidy up, they don't get stuck in some ridiculous
environment where they can only `ls', `cat', `mv' ...).  The important thing
is to allow enough headroom between the hard and soft limits so that people
don't suddenly hit the hard limit without warning.

Quotas don't suffer from the all the same problems as `ulimit', because they
affect only files owned by the user, so incautious setuid programs (not that
such exist :-), or programs writing log files don't get caught out by it.  (Of
course `setrlimit(RLIMIT_FSIZE, ...)' does suffer from this, but that's just a
version of ulimit.)

>There seem to me to be two valid services that can be performed by a disk
>"quota" system.  One of them is to prevent runaway disk consumption such as
>	cat x >> x

... and ...

	while :; do
	  mkdir gronk
	  cd gronk
	done

... which every year at least one person does, either by accident, or `to see
what would happen'.  This is not dealt with by ulimit, and can be much more
messy to clean up.  Some versions of `rm -r' can't cope with this, and I've
even seen fsck fail with `pathname too long' or some such.

>and the other is to keep users from accumulating junk that fills the
>available disk.

Not to say quotas are completely without problems.  We get users moving their
junk backwards and forwards to /tmp every night, so that they can stay between
the hard and soft limits indefinitely.  People can't create e.g. lock files in
world writable directories under other people's codes on alternative
filesystems.

>Most of my use of "su" on our BSD-based systems is simply to chown files.
>That is indicative of a serious deficiency in normal user services on these
>systems.  I would install a set-UID 0 "chown" (with appropriate checks)
>except for the hassle I'd get from the system admins around here.

It's probably just because I've never used a system where joe user can chown a
file to someone else, or maybe I'm a bit fik, but can someone explain why
people want to do this ?  What's wrong with just copying a file if you want a
copy owned by someone else ?

Rob
--
UUCP:   ...!mcvax!ukc!warwick!cudcv	PHONE:  +44 203 523037
JANET:  cudcv@uk.ac.warwick             ARPA:   cudcv@warwick.ac.uk

bzs@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Barry Shein) (07/12/89)

From: peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva)
>Have a look at mainframes, where you generally have lots of disk farms.
>They have automatic mechanisms to roll stuff off to tape, and bring it back.
>If it's handled automatically (i.e., they can't dump on a tech aide for
>following orders), then politics isn't any more a problem than with quotas.
>
>This works a *lot* better.

Agreed (I assume you're referring to systems like IBM's MSS) but so
far these systems are not cheap, even for modest systems they can
easily cost as much as the rest of the system.

Ultimately of course there's some fundamental law at work here where
if you don't have controls of any sort the archive system could become
the bottleneck (no system I've seen takes less than many seconds to
handle an archival restoral request.)

The other problem is that you've now overcommitted you disk resources
so the possibility exists that some mix of users who want to work
today can't because the sum of their archive roll-offs don't fit.

Anyhow, just chatting.

>And big systems need better mechanisms than quotas.

Being as a quota system isn't a whole lot more than managing a few
integers I'd be curious to hear what would be needed to improve the
current system (sincerely, not a snide remark!)
--

In article <34515@bu-cs.BU.EDU>, bzs@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Barry Shein) writes:
> >And big systems need better mechanisms than quotas.

> Being as a quota system isn't a whole lot more than managing a few
> integers I'd be curious to hear what would be needed to improve the
> current system (sincerely, not a snide remark!)

Well, the basic problem with quotas is the same as with such things as hard
CPU time limits. The set of problems for which they're an adequate solution
is smaller than the set of problems they're used for.

How do you allocate quotas? sum(all quotas) == free space on disk? Then you
might as well give each user a seperate partition. sum(all quotas) < free
space? Then you can still run out of disk space. In either case someone who
needs more space temporarily is out of luck... even if there's more space on
the disk.

How do quotas mesh with multiple partitions?

When I was at Berkeley the usual way to get around quotas was to mail files
to yourself, or to create subdirectories in /tmp.

I would recommend checking quotas on logout only. That can be done in an
automatic fashion, without actually putting policy in the kernel. If the
user is over quota give them a chance to delete files (or whatever) by
starting up a new shell.

Don't try to make the quota system unbreakable. If someone wants to be a
bad boy, you'll catch them. Don't burn honest users... you're not a cop.
Business: peter@ficc.uu.net, +1 713 274 5180. | Th-th-th-that's all folks...
Personal: peter@sugar.hackercorp.com.   `-_-' |  -- Mel Blanc
Quote: Have you hugged your wolf today?  'U`  |     May 30 1908 - Jul 10 1989

jgreely@oz.cis.ohio-state.edu (J Greely) (07/13/89)

In article <4958@ficc.uu.net> peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
   How do you allocate quotas? sum(all quotas) == free space on disk? Then you
   might as well give each user a seperate partition. sum(all quotas) < free
   space? Then you can still run out of disk space.

(you do mean sum > space on that last point, don't you?)  If we could
use the Berkeley quota system, we would.  Unfortunately, it doesn't
work correctly when you mix NFS and multiple vendors.  How would we
set it up if we did use it?
    Sum(soft quotas) <= free space  (about 90% sounds good)
    Sum(hard quotas) >  free space

Set the soft quotas to a slightly generous estimate for each user
type, and set the hard quotas to a very generous estimate (1.5-2.5
times the soft quota).  If soft quotas are properly chosen, most users
will remain below them, leaving free space for the people who need to
go over temporarily.  If someone needs a larger quota, and there's not
enough room on the current partition, you juggle people around
partitions until they all fit.

   Don't try to make the quota system unbreakable. If someone wants to be a
   bad boy, you'll catch them. Don't burn honest users... you're not a cop.

(Does that imply that cops burn honest citizens?)

We can't use real quotas, so we're stuck with a fake quota system (set
quotas for each user on each filesystem, run quot and compare, mail
warnings and summary).  When that isn't enough, things get rude.  More
than once, I *have* felt like a cop, tracking down an anonymous grad
student who logs in once a week, doesn't read his mail, and has a ten
meg file named thesis-proj.out.  Should I delete it?  Compress it?
Dump it to tape?  Pick on someone else, and find out later it was
garbage?  Nuke it, and find out that it was in use by a program vital
to his research?

  And of course, not everyone who drastically exceeds their quota is a
"bad boy".  Ignorance and laziness are tied as the primary reasons for
unreasonable disk usage around here.

			The steady state of disks is full.
				-- Ken Thompson
-=-
J Greely (jgreely@cis.ohio-state.edu; osu-cis!jgreely)

ellis@godot.psc.edu (James Ellis) (07/14/89)

In article <34422@bu-cs.BU.EDU> bzs@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Barry Shein) writes:
>From: gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn)
>>use of "du|sort -rn" to find where the problems are.
>No, it can't be dealt with with "du|sort -rn" except on very small systems

With respect to disk quotas, certainly the du mechanism works well for
those environments that can survive with motd or mailed warnings.
(Actually, I prefer a du or ls -R that divides by the number of links
to the file.  But same idea.)  If you have users that ignore you then
you either need policy sanctions or dynamic quotas built into the kernel.
This is all clear enough - I'm sure Doug doesn't need to be lectured
about how to run large systems.

In article <4884@ficc.uu.net> peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
>I certainly hope that V.4 doesn't have this *bogus* restriction.

But what is this fascination System V has with chown?
It seems to me to be a security problem begging to be misused.
I'll admit that a wide-open chown can make life easier for a few
system utilities - I know how hard it is to write a secure setuid program -
but do not believe these wins outweigh the problems with users being
able to give away files.

When I own a file, I have responsibility for it, and I do not like for
users to be able to foist that responsibility upon me without my knowledge.

If Doug needs to change file ownerships often then he should have his
setuid program that checks and logs what he's doing.
So.  Are there other solutions provided by wide-open chown?
(That's your cue, Peter.)

I'll summarize replies to me; replies to the net summarize themselves...

				-- Jim Ellis

In article <JGREELY.89Jul12135552@oz.cis.ohio-state.edu>, jgreely@oz.cis.ohio-state.edu (J Greely) writes:
> (Does that imply that cops burn honest citizens?)

Cops have been known to hassle honest citizens. I know a guy who was charged
with assaulting a police officer. He was lucky, the judge was smart enough to
realise that he wasn't quite stupid enough to throw a punch with five other
policemen standing by.

> More than once, I *have* felt like a cop, tracking down an anonymous grad
> student who logs in once a week, doesn't read his mail, and has a ten
> meg file named thesis-proj.out.  Should I delete it?  Compress it?
> Dump it to tape?

Under OS-1100 on the Unisys 1100/70 here that file would be automatically
checkpointed to tape. And restored when needed. A MUCH better solution.

You shouldn't try to apply minicomputer solutions to mainframe problems.

>   And of course, not everyone who drastically exceeds their quota is a
> "bad boy".

No, but someone who chowns his files to hide them from the quota system
is.

In article <639@godot.psc.edu>, ellis@godot.psc.edu (James Ellis) writes:
> So.  Are there other solutions provided by wide-open chown?
> (That's your cue, Peter.)

When I type 'cd //oldsys/path; find . -print | cpio -pvd //newsys/path'
I want file ownerships to be maintained.

I will leave the possibility of making cpio setuid for those with
stronger stomachs.
Business: peter@ficc.uu.net, +1 713 274 5180. | "A char, a short int, and
Personal: peter@sugar.hackercorp.com.   `-_-' |  an int bit-field were walking
Quote: Have you hugged your wolf today?  'U`  |  through the forest..."