[comp.unix.questions] how do I stop uucico mailing uucp?

harry@moncam.co.uk (Jangling Neck Nipper) (07/18/89)

I like to have uucp mail forwarded to me, in case things go wrong.
However, since changing from ukuucp (2.0) to Sun uucp (release 4.0.1,
sorry, don't know the uucp version), I've had TWO mail messages for
every call of uucico (even when there's NO WORK) and a further two for
every call of uuxqt whenever there's mail or news.  That's a couple of
hundred a day, and I'm getting sore fingies.  I've put `-z' flags in
sendmail.cf where uux is called, just to be sure, but that doesn't
make any difference, but since I get it when there's no work, that's
not surprising.  Soo, am I stuck with this mail, or is there a secret
flag I can set? I tried editing the uucico binary to replace the
reference to /bin/mail with /bin/something-four-chars-long (which
echoed the args to a file), but unbelievably, this didn't work!!!  But
that's by the by.  I don't really want to write a filter to `mail -f
/usr/spool/mail/uucp' to delete all entries with message

uuxqt cmd () status (exit 0, signal 0)

so I'm stuck with ploughing through the pointless reminders that its
attempts to do nothing were a complete success!!!

chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) (07/18/89)

In article <HARRY.89Jul17194133@marvin.moncam.co.uk> harry@moncam.co.uk
(Jangling Neck Nipper) writes:
>... since changing from ukuucp (2.0) to Sun uucp (release 4.0.1,
>sorry, don't know the uucp version), I've had TWO mail messages for
>every call of uucico (even when there's NO WORK) and a further two for
>every call of uuxqt whenever there's mail or news. ...
>
>uuxqt cmd () status (exit 0, signal 0)

Remove the X. and XTMP directories from /usr/spool/uucp/uucico.

The Sun UUCP does not understand subdirectories, and thinks that these
are work requests.  It performs them, then unlinks them (which of course
fails).

rwright@novavax.UUCP (Ronald K. Wright) (07/20/89)

In article <HARRY.89Jul17194133@marvin.moncam.co.uk> harry@moncam.co.uk (Jangling Neck Nipper) writes:
>I like to have uucp mail forwarded to me, in case things go wrong.
>However, since changing from ukuucp (2.0) to Sun uucp (release 4.0.1,
>sorry, don't know the uucp version), I've had TWO mail messages for
>every call of uucico (even when there's NO WORK) and a further two for
>every call of uuxqt whenever there's mail or news.

I found most of this was coming from some programs called
/usr/lib/uucp/uuclean and /usr/lib/uucp/uuadm which are run out of
crontab.  These programs are shell scripts and can be easily modified
to change their behavior.  Try examining roots crontab file, and see
if the times of the messages match the times that the uuclean scripts
are run. If they do, you found your culprit.
If not, well good luck. :=)
rkw