[comp.unix.questions] Re^2: Vi

maart@cs.vu.nl (Maarten Litmaath) (06/13/89)

leo@philmds.UUCP (Leo de Wit) writes:
\...
\#! /bin/sed -f
\...
\	s/\(\n\)\([^	][^	][^	][^	][^	]\)	/\2   \1/
\...
\/......................................................................../!{
\...

Leo's sed `solution' makes 2 things clear:

	1) sed ought to have C escape sequences like '\t'
	2) sed ought to have some kind of `run' specifier
	   - quick: how many dots did Leo put on the `/<dots>/!{' line?

Ad 1: one should AVOID putting a HARD TAB in human-readable code, where using
the APPROPRIATE NUMBER OF SPACES would NOT have the SAME EFFECT.
Indentation: OK.
Example: in shell scripts use

	tab=`ctrl I`
	..."$tab"...

instead of

	..."	"...
--
"I HATE arbitrary limits, especially when |Maarten Litmaath @ VU Amsterdam:
   they're small."  (Stephen Savitzky)    |maart@cs.vu.nl, mcvax!botter!maart

dce@Solbourne.COM (David Elliott) (06/13/89)

In article <2731@piraat.cs.vu.nl> maart@cs.vu.nl (Maarten Litmaath) writes:
>Leo's sed `solution' makes 2 things clear:
>
>	1) sed ought to have C escape sequences like '\t'
>	2) sed ought to have some kind of `run' specifier
>	   - quick: how many dots did Leo put on the `/<dots>/!{' line?

	3) Leo has way too much free time. ;-)

Seriously, it would be nice if sed had C escapes AND a way to specify
whitespace.  Often is the time when I type

	[ 	][ 	]*

and wish I had a nice way to abbreviate whitespace.

Also, doesn't System V have a way to do "runs"?  I seem to recall
something like following an re with {min,max}.

--
David Elliott		dce@Solbourne.COM
			...!{boulder,nbires,sun}!stan!dce

leo@philmds.UUCP (Leo de Wit) (06/13/89)

In article <2731@piraat.cs.vu.nl> maart@cs.vu.nl (Maarten Litmaath) writes:
    []
|Ad 1: one should AVOID putting a HARD TAB in human-readable code, where using
|the APPROPRIATE NUMBER OF SPACES would NOT have the SAME EFFECT.
|Indentation: OK.
|Example: in shell scripts use
|
|	tab=`ctrl I`
|	..."$tab"...
|
|instead of
|
|	..."	"...

Alas, it was a sed script, so I had no choice.

	 Leo.

jeff@quark.WV.TEK.COM (Jeff Beadles) (06/14/89)

In article <1470@marvin.Solbourne.COM> dce@Solbourne.com (David Elliott) writes:
>Seriously, it would be nice if sed had C escapes AND a way to specify
>whitespace.  Often is the time when I type
>
>	[ 	][ 	]*
>
>and wish I had a nice way to abbreviate whitespace.

I'd settle for extended regular expressions.  (IE: [ 	]+ )

Oh well, maybe if I get to be as bored as Leo :-) :-)

	-Jeff
--
Jeff Beadles		Utek Sustaining Engineering, Tektronix Inc.
jeff@quark.WV.TEK.COM	uunet!tektronix!quark.wv!jeff

decot@hpisod2.HP.COM (Dave Decot) (06/20/89)

|>	[ 	][ 	]*
|>
|>and wish I had a nice way to abbreviate whitespace.
|
|I'd settle for extended regular expressions.  (IE: [ 	]+ )

POSIX P1003.2 will require that expressions of the form:

   [[:space:]][[:space:]]*

be recognized, but that's probably not encouraging to you. At least
there's no invisible tabs.  I think \w would be helpful as an abbreviation
for this, and also agree that + notation on basic regular expressions
would be great.

Dave

leo@philmds.UUCP (Leo de Wit) (07/22/89)

In article <3582@orca.WV.TEK.COM> jeff@quark.WV.TEK.COM (Jeff Beadles) writes:
|In article <1470@marvin.Solbourne.COM> dce@Solbourne.com (David Elliott) writes:
(The guy who tried to insinuate I was doing it in my free time 8-)

|>Seriously, it would be nice if sed had C escapes AND a way to specify
|>whitespace.  Often is the time when I type
|>
|>	[ 	][ 	]*
|>
|>and wish I had a nice way to abbreviate whitespace.
|
|I'd settle for extended regular expressions.  (IE: [ 	]+ )
|
|Oh well, maybe if I get to be as bored as Leo :-) :-)

Me? Not half as bored as the poster (and readers) of the n+1 (wrong)
explanation of what 'grep' stands for, or how to reenter vi from ex, or ...

If you care to take a look at the sed script, you might even learn some
useful techniques. That cannot be said of every article that passes in
this group.

    Leo.