[comp.unix.questions] WYSIWYG Editors In UNIX

rkpc@mergvax (Rob Kedoin) (07/14/89)

With all this talk about Graphical User Interfaces lately, I was wondering
what kind of WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) text editors are
available for UNIX systems.

If anyone knows of such systems, please e-mail your evaluations of the
products to me and I will post a summary if there is enough interest.

Thanks in advance,

		-Rob Kedoin

UUCP:   {decvax, motown, cpmain, icus}!mergvax.uucp!rkpc
ARPA:	rkpc%mergvax.UUCP@decvax.dec.com
USnail-mail: Linotype Company - R&D 425 Oser Avenue Hauppauge, NY 11788
VOICE: (516) 434 - 2729

Bron@cup.portal.com (George Bron Faison) (07/23/89)

On 7/14/89 05:45 rkpc@mergvax (Rob Keebin) writes:
>With all this talk about Graphical User Interfaces lately, I was wondering
>what kind of WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) text editors are

Hey, since you said text editor, not word processor? then I guess
vi is a WYSIWYG text editor as long as you're working on a display
how size is => than the vi window size and wrapmargin is set appropriately,
etc.  Gosh, and so cheap, too! ;-)
  George "Bron" Faison         Email: Bron@cup.portal.com
                              USMAIL: Modern Office Systems Technology, Inc.
       "Be Still!"                    6455 Penrith Drive
                                      Mechanicsville, VA 23111
      Oracle & UNIX            Phone: (804) 730-1467 (voice)

rowland@hpavla.HP.COM (Fred Rowland) (07/24/89)

I think you're really asking about things like Interleaf, which is a
combination editor/word processor/page layer outer (something like
that).  It comes from the Interleaf company in Cambridge Mass.

I'm familiar with both the full-bore Interleaf Technical Publishing
system, which runs on Apollo, Sun, and other hardware platforms,
and a slightly-trimmed version called IBM Interleaf Publisher which
runs on AT-compatibles.  If you would like more discussion on either,
contact me by e-mail.

Fred Rowland
Hewlett-Packard Avondale Division
rowland@hpavla.HP.COM

hwt@bnr-public.uucp (Henry Troup) (07/26/89)

Also, there's 'The Publisher' from ArborText. It's a semi-WYSIWYG and
preview system, based on TeX formatting and SGML document representation.
You don't have to learn/use TeX and/or LaTeX - but they're there if you
need them.

Runs on Sun 2/3/4/386i under Sunview or X, HP 9000/3xx under X.

We are a satisfied customer.  If you want info, try sales@arbortext.com.
Tell them I sent you :-)

utgpu!bnr-vpa!bnr-fos!hwt%bnr-public | BNR is not 	| All that evil requires
hwt@bnr (BITNET/NETNORTH) 	     | responsible for 	| is that good men do
(613) 765-2337 (Voice)		     | my opinions	| nothing.