[comp.unix.questions] NFS

issy@eevlsi.ee.columbia.EDU (Isidore G. Bendrihem) (05/11/87)

We have a VAX 11/750 running under 4.3BSD.  We are looking into the
possibility of adding several SUN stations which would be sharing a
hard disk via NFS.  We'd like to have the vax also running NFS so that
its disks could be shared by the SUNs.  Has anybody in the net tried
this configuration, that is, several SUNs and a VAX running NFS?  If so,
how heavily does this configuration tax the limited computing power of
the VAX?  Any pointers to vendors that distribute NFS for the VAX (prices?),
would be greatly appreciated.  Is NFS in the public domain?

Thanks.
Isidore Bendrihem
issy@eevlsi.ee.columbia.edu
eleng@cs.columbia.edu

rebecca@sutcase.case.syr.EDU (10/21/87)

I am seeking information on NFS for a vax 780  running unix 4.3.
I would appreciate hearing about various aspects -- from where
I can get it; cost, etc to  how happy people are with it, installation
problems, limitations.   Please mail directly to me;  I will summarize
to the net.

Thanks!
Rebecca Snedden    rebecca@sutcase.case.syr.edu
Case Center
Syracuse Univ.

mchinni@pica.army.mil (Michael J. Chinni, SMCAR-CCS-E) (07/26/89)

Systems: s1 DEC VAX 8600 ULTRIX 3.0
	 s2 GOULD PN9080 UTX/32 2.0u03

Filesystems:
	s1:	/u1 /u2 /u3
	s2: 	/u1 /u2 /u3 /u4 /u5

Wanted:
	s1 filesystems nfs mounted on s2
	s2 filesystems nfs mounted on s1

Why:
	To help with continuity of operations. If s1 goes down and stays down,
users and thier files from s1 are put on s2. If s2 goes down and stays down,
users and thier files from s2 are put on s1.  Normally, this means doing
restores from dump tapes. BUT the dump tape format of s1 and s2 are NOT
compatable (i.e. dump from s1 not usable via restore on s2 and visa-versa).
NFS mounting lets us use s1 dump to dump s2 filesystems, and use s2 dump to
dump s1 filesystems. Thus allowing restores if required.

Problem:
	How do I do the nfs mounting? I have RTM and did what it said (i.e
/etc/mount -t nfs s1:/u1 /s1u1

but I get permission denied. What am I not doing or doing wrong?

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
			    Michael J. Chinni
      Chief Scientist, Simulation Techniques and Workplace Automation Team
	 US Army Armament Research, Development, and Engineering Center
 User to skeleton sitting at cobweb   () Picatinny Arsenal, New Jersey
    and dust covered workstation      () ARPA: mchinni@pica.army.mil
      "System been down long?"        () UUCP: ...!uunet!pica.army.mil!mchinni
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) (07/26/89)

In article <20365@adm.BRL.MIL> mchinni@pica.army.mil
(Michael J. Chinni, SMCAR-CCS-E) writes:
>Systems: s1 DEC VAX 8600 ULTRIX 3.0
>	 s2 GOULD PN9080 UTX/32 2.0u03
>... the dump tape format of s1 and s2 are NOT compatable

Correct; dump tapes are machine dependent.  Use tar or cpio for machine
independent backups (tar will not back up device special files, which
is proper---special files are machine dependent0---and will fill holes,
which is sometimes but not always bad).

>NFS mounting lets us use s1 dump to dump s2 filesystems, and use s2 dump to
>dump s1 filesystems.

This is misguided.  Dump reads the raw device-special file, which is why
it and its tapes are machine-dependent.  It does this for speed.

It is usually possible (and sometimes even easy) to jury-rig restore so
that it can restore dump tapes made from other systems.  The 4.3BSD-tahoe
restore can read Sun dump tapes.

wytze@gouldnl.UUCP (Wytze van der Raay) (07/26/89)

In article <20365@adm.BRL.MIL> mchinni@pica.army.mil (Michael J. Chinni, SMCAR-CCS-E) writes:
>Systems: s1 DEC VAX 8600 ULTRIX 3.0
>	 s2 GOULD PN9080 UTX/32 2.0u03
>Filesystems:
>	s1:	/u1 /u2 /u3
>	s2: 	/u1 /u2 /u3 /u4 /u5
>Wanted:
>	s1 filesystems nfs mounted on s2
>	s2 filesystems nfs mounted on s1
>Problem:
>	How do I do the nfs mounting? I have RTM and did what it said (i.e
>/etc/mount -t nfs s1:/u1 /s1u1
>but I get permission denied. What am I not doing or doing wrong?

Create /etc/exports on s1 with contents:

	/u1	s2
	/u2	s2
	/u3	s2

and create /etc/exports on s2 with contents:

	/u1	s1
	/u2	s1
	/u3	s1
	/u4	s1
	/u5	s1

Now try "/etc/mount s1:/u1 /s1u1".

Next read "mount(8)" to learn about specific options for mounting NFS
file systems, and "exports(4)". Perhaps try reading exports (4) as well.

Please note that you cannot use "dump" for an NFS-mounted filesystem.

--
| Wytze van der Raay                          ...!hp4nl!gouldnl!wytze |
| Encore Unix Centre Europe (EUCE)                 wytze@gouldnl.uucp |

DGosner%TOE.TOWSON.EDU@cornellc.cit.cornell.edu (07/27/89)

>Problem:
>    How do I do the nfs mounting? I have RTM and did what it said (i.e
>/etc/mount -t nfs s1:/u1 /s1u1
>
>but I get permission denied. What am I not doing or doing wrong?
>
>                Michael J. Chinni

you have to create the file /etc/exports on the system which has the file
system you are trying to nfs mount - in your case s1... /etc/exports grants
permission to certains other systems to nfs mount certain fiel systems... there
are a variety of options, etc. that let you control security... the basic
format for what you need is:

in /etc/exports on s1:
/u1 s2

in my ultrix doc, it's all explained in exports(5nfs) and in the system
management volume 3... i don't know where it would be in the real world'd
doc...

Dan Gosner
Operations Manager
Towson State Univerity