[comp.unix.questions] cpio of AT&T Source Tape under 4.3bsd

nall@nu.cs.fsu.edu (John Nall) (07/26/89)

We have never had a need to acess our source code tape
from AT&T, although we have had it for awhile.  Now that
the need has come up, there seems to be a phase error in
reading it using 4.3bsd.  Apparently the way AT&T writes
their tape is incompatible with the way cpio works under
4.3bsd.  So far as we can determine, the few options that
cpio provides doesn't really help.  Is this a known problem?
If so, can anyone point us in the proper direction?

Thanks for any suggestions

John Nall
Computer Science Department
Florida State University
Tallahassee, FL
(nall@nu.cs.fsu.edu  Arpa/Inet)

p.s.  If this is a dumb question, feel free to flame.  But
do it gently, and with direction...

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (07/26/89)

In article <219@loligo.cc.fsu.edu> nall@nu.cs.fsu.edu (John Nall) writes:
>We have never had a need to acess our source code tape
>from AT&T, although we have had it for awhile.  Now that
>the need has come up, there seems to be a phase error in
>reading it using 4.3bsd.  Apparently the way AT&T writes
>their tape is incompatible with the way cpio works under
>4.3bsd.

I don't think 4.3BSD even HAS a "cpio" utility.

In any event, you don't say exactly which release of what AT&T software
you're having problems with, which makes it difficult to give a simple
answer.  Many earlier releases of UNIX System V, also UNIX System III,
were written in the default machine-specific binary cpio format rather
than the "portable ASCII header" format used for recent releases.  If
you have a tape written in binary cpio format from a machine of opposite
"Endianness", it is unreadable by a stock "cpio" utility on your system.
This is typically reported as "out of phase -- get help" or some other
such useless diagnostic.

Most AT&T cpio tapes use 5120-byte blocking, for which you must specify
the -B option when reading via cpio.  In case it's a "portable ASCII
header" format tape, you also need to specify the -c option.  Also note
that some older releases were actually multi-file tapes, with each tape
file being a separate cpio archive, and on the binary distribution tapes
some of the tape files are just executable binaries or raw disk images.

chet@kiwi.CWRU.EDU (Chet Ramey) (07/27/89)

In article <10608@smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn@brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn) writes:

>I don't think 4.3BSD even HAS a "cpio" utility.

AT&T has donated cpio to Berkeley; it appears in the 4.3-tahoe release
(/usr/src/bin/cpio).  This version is #ident 1.30.1.11 and is dated
1/11/86.

Chet Ramey

Chet Ramey			"We are preparing to think about contemplating
Network Services Group, CWRU	 preliminary work on plans to develop a
chet@cwjcc.INS.CWRU.Edu		 schedule for producing the 10th Edition of
				 the Unix Programmers Manual." -- Andrew Hume

heins@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu (Leeland Heins) (07/27/89)

In article <10608@smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn@brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>In article <219@loligo.cc.fsu.edu> nall@nu.cs.fsu.edu (John Nall) writes:
>I don't think 4.3BSD even HAS a "cpio" utility.

   4.3BSD-Tahoe (haven't looked at the older 4.3 distribution tapes) definitely
includes source code for cpio, which I stumbled across the other day while
digging through the source directories.  Wheris on our machine reports it as
being located in /usr/src/bin/cpio, and /bin/cpio.  The man page is dated
March 29, 1988, and the source code is marked "(c) 1988 AT&T ... THIS IS
UNPUBLISHED PROPRIETARY SOURCE CODE OF AT&T".

  //|||\\   "Attack of the killer 	Lee Heins, EXNET Programmer
 //-O-O-\\   mutant techno-hippies	Iowa State U. Extension
 ||  v  ||   from Hell"			heins@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu
 || === ||				...!hplabs!hp-lsd!atanasoff!heins
 || --- ||
/// `|' \\\				Disclaimer: I speak for myself only.