[net.cooks] XMAS COOKIE REQUEST

dmf2@lcuxb.UUCP (Giget) (12/04/85)

     Would anyone have a recipe for German Christmas Cookies
     that a pale white and hard as a brick with a anise flavor?

     Don't know what they are called but they are also "stamped"
     with little designs on them.

   Appreciated - Thanks

prastein@uiucdcsb.CS.UIUC.EDU (12/06/85)

I don't have a recipe, but I believe what you're referring to are
Pfefferneuse (sp?)

mcgill@uiucdcs.CS.UIUC.EDU (12/06/85)

I think you might be describing "Specalatius" (spelling?) which is
pronounced "Speckolotsee-us" (gesundheit).  They are really thin,
light in color, and made on an iron press (similar to a waffle iron)
but have a design on it to be impressed on the cookie.  I don't
have the recipe, but I'm almost positive there is a recipe for them
in The Joy of Cooking.  I don't know how good the recipe is, but
you might give it a try.

						Monica

						!uiucdcs!mcgill

unixcorn@dcc1.UUCP (math.c) (12/10/85)

In article <381@lcuxb.UUCP> dmf2@lcuxb.UUCP (Giget) writes:
>     Would anyone have a recipe for German Christmas Cookies
>     that a pale white and hard as a brick with a anise flavor?

  The cookies are called Springerle, the recipe following is from
Joy of Cooking ( I think... it is copied over on a very tired looking
recipe card)

        Beat until light 4 eggs, add gradually and beat until creamy
  2 cups (sifted) sugar.  Sift together 3 cups sifted all purpose flour,
1/2 tsp double acting baking powder.  Add these to the above mixture and
blend in.

   Sprinkle about 1/2 Cup flour on pastry cloth (or counter).  Turn out
the dough and knead with about 1/2 Cup more flour to make a stiff dough.
Roll out, about 1/3 inch thick.  If you have a springerle roller, imprint
the dough with it. If you have a springerle board, press it down on the dough
and imprint it with that.  Cut apart the squares and dry for 12 hours
in a cool dry place.

   Preheat oven to 300 deg.  Grease cookie sheet and sprinkle with
2 Tbls crushed anise seed.  Place squares of dough on sheet and bake
about 15 minutes or until the lower part is light brown.

  Hope this does the trick for you.  Happy Hols!
--

             unixcorn  (alias m. gould)

                   "there's a unicorn in the garden and he's eating a lily"
                    gatech!dcc1!unixcorn

jeff@rtech.UUCP (Jeff Lichtman) (12/11/85)

> I don't have a recipe, but I believe what you're referring to are
> Pfefferneuse (sp?)

Nope, they're springerle.  Pfefferneuse are also anise-flavored, but don't
have the designs stamped on them.  The Joy of Cooking has recipes for both;
I don't know how authentic they are.
--
Jeff Lichtman at rtech (Relational Technology, Inc.)
"Saints should always be judged guilty until they are proved innocent..."

{amdahl, sun}!rtech!jeff
{ucbvax, decvax}!mtxinu!rtech!jeff

bha@duke.UUCP (Baerbel Allingham) (12/11/85)

The German Christmas Cookies with a pale white look, anise flavor and
designs on them are "Springerle".

                            Springerle

	4 eggs
	500 gr powdered sugar
	1 pkg Vanillasugar *
	grated lemon peel of one lemon
	tip of a knive of cabonate of ammonia (Hirschhornsalz)
	20 gr ground anise
	2 Tbsp anise corns

Wisk eggs with powdered sugar and grated lemon peel until foamy. Add flour,
in lukewarm water dissolved carbonate of ammonia and ground anise in portions,
knead to a stiff dough, let stand 1-2 hours.
Roll dough out 1 cm [0.4 inch], press "Springerle Model" on dough and cut of
excess (flour mold). Place Springerle on a with anise corns sprinkled
cookie sheet and let ry over night.
Bake at 150-160 C [300-320 F] for 25-30 min.
If using mixer: first use the wirewhip then the dough hook.

                         Springerle

              The ingredients should be lukewarm.

	4 eggs
	500 gr sugar
	1 pkg. Vanillasugar *
	1/2 Teasp. carbonate of ammonia or baker's salt (Hirschhornsalz)
	kirsch (Kirschwasser)
	500 gr flour

Whip eggs, sugar and vanillasugar until foamy, by hand 1 hour, this way it
turns out the nicest or on low speed with a mixer until the batter is
almost white and thick-foamy.
Then dissolve the carbonate of ammonia in little kirsch and stir in flour
and knead the dough. Wrap the dough in damp cloth and let stand 1 hour.
Roll out small dough pieces, sprinkle with a little bit sifted cornstarch
and smooth with your ball of the thumb. Press the "Springerle Model" on
top and cut off excess, then put it on buttered and floured cookie sheet
and let dry 24 hours in a warm room.
First bake a sample in the middle of the oven at 140 C [285 F] for 30 min.
The surface should stay white and the Springerle should have slightly
yellow "feet". In case the sample doesn't rise, dampen the bottom slightly,
they dried out to much.
The cool Springerle can be painted with food color and be hung on the
christmas tree of on presents.
Keep Springerle in tightly closed tin cans and bake at least 14 days
before you plan to eat them.

*) you can buy the brand Oetcker at gourmet shops or use 1 Teasp. vanilla
   extract.
   If you want a recipe for Vanillasugar, let me know I have one somewhere.

I hope you enjoy.

Baerbel Allingham

barb@oliven.UUCP (Barbara Jernigan) (12/13/85)

> I don't have a recipe, but I believe what you're referring to are
> Pfefferneuse (sp?)

No, Pfefferneuse (you're at least close) are dark colored, and ginger
and molasses flavored.  They're also round (not stamped) and rolled
in powdered sugar.  Imported Pfefferneuse is hard as a brick (though
good) -- if you like your teeth intact, I have a very good recipe
which is on my Christmas Cookie by Demand list.

Barb

(I *LOVE* Christmas -- but my waistline is happy it's only once a year!)

jeff@rtech.UUCP (Jeff Lichtman) (12/13/85)

> Keep Springerle in tightly closed tin cans and bake at least 14 days
> before you plan to eat them.

Wouldn't they burn? :-)