[comp.unix.questions] vi buffer usage

jpr@dasys1.UUCP (Jean-Pierre Radley) (07/22/89)

In article <493@cadlab.cadlab.de> berni@cadlab.UUCP (Bernhard Kraft) writes:
>   map g OInsertedText^["gdd
>
>This was an attempt to put a text into the buffer g , when I type g.

If you want to put something into one of vi's named buffers, then you must
use the 'yank' command: Y, or yy or other variants.

When you use 'dd', you delete the line, and it goes into the "unnamed"
buffer, also called buffer 0.

--
Jean-Pierre Radley		CIS: 72160,1341		jpr@jpradley.UUCP

tmoore@ciss.Dayton.NCR.COM (Tom.Moore@ciss.Dayton.NCR.COM) (07/24/89)

jpr@dasys1.UUCP (Jean-Pierre Radley) writes:

>If you want to put something into one of vi's named buffers, then you must
>use the 'yank' command: Y, or yy or other variants.

Not true on my machine.  A "add command deletes the current line and puts
it in buffer a.  It can be simply retreived with a put comand.
--
* Tom Moore                NCR Corporation  PCD-6              (513) 445-1373 *
* Consulting Analyst       1700 S. Patterson Blvd.         VOICEplus 622-1373 *

bob@wyse.wyse.com (Bob McGowen x922-4312 Training) (07/25/89)

In article <493@cadlab.cadlab.de> berni@cadlab.UUCP (Bernhard Kraft) writes:
>   map g OInsertedText^["gdd
>
>This was an attempt to put a text into the buffer g , when I type g.

I have tried to do what Bernhard Kraft appears to be trying.  I can see
the Inserted_Text on the screen, it disappears, as expected but cannot
be found **anywhere** (not in the named buffers nor the unnamed), but
entering the commands totally manually, or breaking it up into two parts,
one for the insert, the other for the delete, work fine:

	map q OInsertedText^[
	map g "gdd

Entering q adds the text, g deletes it to buffer g, and I can put it
from buffer g.

????

Bob McGowan  (standard disclaimer, these are my own ...)
Customer Education, Wyse Technology, San Jose, CA
..!uunet!wyse!bob
bob@wyse.com

jpr@dasys1.UUCP (Jean-Pierre Radley) (08/03/89)

In article <810@ciss.Dayton.NCR.COM> tmoore@ciss.Dayton.NCR.COM (Tom.Moore@ciss.Dayton.NCR.COM) writes:
>jpr@dasys1.UUCP (Jean-Pierre Radley) writes:
>>If you want to put something into one of vi's named buffers, then you must
>>use the 'yank' command: Y, or yy or other variants.
>Not true on my machine.  A "add command deletes the current line and puts
>it in buffer a.  It can be simply retreived with a put comand.

mea culpa

I was wrong.

--
Jean-Pierre Radley					      jpr@jpradley.uucp