[comp.unix.questions] "111 fewer lines in file after visual" ????

canoaf@ntvax.uucp (Augustine Cano) (07/31/89)

What did I do?  What does "111 lines in file after visual" mean?

While in vi, I hit some key sequence that generated the above message.
Can anybody explain what it means and how to replicate it?

Thanks

Augustine Cano		canoaf@dept.csci.unt.edu

bob@wyse.wyse.com (Bob McGowen Wyse Technology Training) (08/01/89)

In article <1989Jul31.033232.23443@ntvax.uucp> canoaf@ntvax.uucp (Augustine Cano) writes:
>What did I do?  What does "111 lines in file after visual" mean?
>
>While in vi, I hit some key sequence that generated the above message.
>Can anybody explain what it means and how to replicate it?
>
>Thanks
>
>Augustine Cano		canoaf@dept.csci.unt.edu

vi allows you to change from visual to line mode and back.  When you
do this it reports on changes made in the mode you are leaving.  You
can determine if you are in line mode by type a return at the colon
prompt.  In line mode the next line and a new prompt is displayed, in
visual the cursor just returns to the screen location.  Entering
line mode is done by typing a Q, return to visual by entering the word
vi at the line mode colon prompt.

Certain types of substitutions can only be done in line mode, specifically
those with embedded newlines:

	s/pattern/new pattern\
	more pattern\
	and so on/

Cheers!

Bob McGowan  (standard disclaimer, these are my own ...)
Customer Education, Wyse Technology, San Jose, CA
..!uunet!wyse!bob
bob@wyse.com

skilbane@zaphod.axion.bt.co.uk (Steven Kilbane) (08/02/89)

From article <1989Jul31.033232.23443@ntvax.uucp>, by canoaf@ntvax.uucp (Augustine Cano):
> What did I do?  What does "111 lines in file after visual" mean?
>
> While in vi, I hit some key sequence that generated the above message.
> Can anybody explain what it means and how to replicate it?

I _think_ I know what happened, so I thought I'd put my head on the block for
all the vi gurus out there....

Basically, vi is part of a family of editors, and they don't all operate in
full-screen "visual" mode. Vi does by default, and the -v option on the others
persuades them to.

^$ (on my terminal - may differ on others) will put you back into line-editing
mode, and if you've deleted 111 lines from the file since you entered
full-screen mode when you ^$, you get the message you received.

You can, I assume, get back into full-screen mode. I haven't guessed how, and
I'm fair to lazy to read the manual. Me? I save the file and re-vi it.....

Uh-oh - I can hear the flame-throwers igniting....

-oOo-oOo-oOo-oOo-oOo-oOo-oOo-oOo-oOo-oOo-oOo-oOo-oOo-oOo-oOo-oOo-oOo-oOo-oOo-oOo
Stephen Kilbane                      |Email: skilbane@uk.co.bt.axion
British Telecom Research Laboratories|or smk-a@uk.ac.york.minster (or, if that
Martlesham Heath                     |doesn't work, root@uk.ac.york.softeng -
Ipswich IP5 7RE (0473 646638)        |not me, but it may be passed on....
Disclaimer: Who? Me? Nah - must have been someone else when my back was turned!
Quotes: "If silence is golden, music is platinum"
        "'You haven't lived till you've died in MUD' - I live a lot!"
        "(If platinum is to gold, what is to golden?)"[This space to rent]

iwarner@zaphod.axion.bt.co.uk (Ivan Warner,G44 SSTF,6632,) (08/02/89)

From article <2119@zaphod.axion.bt.co.uk>, by skilbane@zaphod.axion.bt.co.uk (Steven Kilbane):

> ^$ (on my terminal - may differ on others) will put you back into line-editing
> mode, and if you've deleted 111 lines from the file since you entered
> full-screen mode when you ^$, you get the message you received.

	Q also does this.

> You can, I assume, get back into full-screen mode. I haven't guessed how, and
> I'm fair to lazy to read the manual. Me? I save the file and re-vi it.....

	Type vi or visual at the ':' prompt

pcf@galadriel.bt.co.uk (Pete French) (08/03/89)

From article <2119@zaphod.axion.bt.co.uk>, by skilbane@zaphod.axion.bt.co.uk (Steven Kilbane):

> You can, I assume, get back into full-screen mode. I haven't guessed how, and
> I'm fair to lazy to read the manual. Me? I save the file and re-vi it.....

Its very simple - type "vi" to the ex prompt. Exactly the same as the "C"
command in the VAx/VMS "edit".

Return to ex mode is ^\ for me.

-Pete French.