[net.cooks] Foods to gain weight by - aww, c'mon!

oaf@mit-vax.UUCP (Oded Feingold) (12/09/85)

	"... anything with lots of butter should do it..."
and similar suggestions are probably NOT a good idea.  The thing  to  do
is  analyze why your friend is underweight (and whether - where does the
figure  of  25  lbs  too  little  come  from?)   and  what  medical  and
psychological  conditions  pertain.   That  calls  for medical, possibly
psychiatric involvement.  As such, it belongs on net.med far  more  than
here.
    It was already mentioned that the subject works nights and generally
feels rotten - job counseling might be in order, too.
--

Oded Feingold     MIT AI Lab.   545 Tech Square    Cambridge, Mass. 02139
OAF%OZ@MIT-MC.ARPA   {harvard, ihnp4!mit-eddie}!mitvax!oaf   617-253-8598

barrys@hercules.UUCP (Barry Steel) (12/13/85)

In article <18@mit-vax.UUCP> oaf@mit-vax.UUCP (Oded Feingold) writes:

>	"... anything with lots of butter should do it..."
>and similar suggestions are probably NOT a good idea.  The thing  to  do
>is  analyze why your friend is underweight (and whether - where does the
>figure  of  25  lbs  too  little  come  from?)   and  what  medical  and
>psychological  conditions  pertain.   That  calls  for medical, possibly
>psychiatric involvement.  As such, it belongs on net.med far  more  than
>here.
	I'm confused.  If the person was 25 pounds OVERWEIGHT, no one
	would think anything of it; but UNDERWEIGHT the world assumes
	he must have some (mental/physical) illness.

	I agree, "Aww c'mon!"

barry steel