[comp.unix.questions] Working Without Windows

In article <10677@smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn@brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>Funny, just the other day I commented to my officemate that it was
>hard to imagine ever getting along without multiple windows.

  Those of us who work at the birthplace of X are spoiled -- I spent
two years working on almost nothing but X window workstations, but for
the past two months I've been working on a 1200 baud modem line from
Ohio to Massachusetts.

  It's hell.  I'm still constantly reaching for the mouse to do cut
and paste, even though I've been working this way for two months.
It's driving me crazy.  I can't wait to get back to Cambridge.

  I started out in Unix on an X workstation, and I find it hard to
believe that people actually managed to get real work done before
multiple windows became common.  Windows are the nicest thing since
sliced bread.  They are as much "overkill" as the first CRT terminals
were overkill when everybody was using REAL tty's.

Jonathan Kamens			              USnail:
MIT Project Athena				432 S. Rose Blvd.
jik@Athena.MIT.EDU				Akron, OH  44320
Office: 617-253-4261			      Home: 216-869-6432